SNL with Will Ferrel 05-14-2005

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Francois Caron, May 14, 2005.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The show's far from over, but it's already turning out great. When Celebrity Jeopardy came on, it reminded me how much I miss seeing real talent on the show.

EDIT: Ok, the show's not perfect. The cartoon blew chunks. [​IMG]

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just what SNL needed.....MORE COWBELLS!!!

Seriously, I loved celebrity Jeopardy.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I liked the cartoon actually. [​IMG] Best part was the opening.
    "'Don't be nervous'? You're supposed to tell me I'm a big movie star now; I'm gonna be great. Dumb bitch."

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    cartoon and the beginniing(jep and opening, the pee song was too long tho') was the only pert i found funny.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Thought celebrity jeopardy (only skit I tuned in for) was weak in comparison to past efforts. But I still laughed a couple times. Most notably "Jap anus Relations" and Sean Connery finally getting final jeopordy intentionally correct.
    Nothing will top Connery's answer being a drawing of a hand giving Trebek the middle finger though. "p + 0 - 0 = p" was a weak final note for that series of sketches.
    I do miss Ferrell on SNL though. He was perfect for that type of humor; the fact that alternate celebrities were more MadTV-style irritating than funny shows how far the show has slipped. I remember when Norm was the alternate. That was hilarious.

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

cartoon was friggin disturbing! I never wanna see that crap again!

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I agree that the Jeopardy sketch (while it would be funny if it were done when Will was still with the cast), wasn't as funny as I had hoped.

The best part was Sharon Osbourne and Mini. [​IMG]

The cartoon was awesome. I assumed everyone noticed the boy and girl got older at the end. (obviously showing that the genie had been doing his thing over the course of many years)

8. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Amy did a great job as Sharon.

~T

9. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I missed the first half hour but I saw the Goulet and Jaguar which were both great. The Sha-zang cartoon was the single best TV Funhouse produced. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

10. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

You and me both, Steve. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. It was even funnier because I remembered that cartoon from Saturday mornings, but had forgotten all about it. For some reason, a simple joke going on and on and on just strikes my funny bone. Wish I had it recorded.

If they ever put out all the TV Funhouses on DVD I'd snatch that sucker up in a minute.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How about the joke about Jennifer Wilbanks [​IMG] and that goofy photo that they use in all the news stories.

12. James St

James St Supporting Actor

I'll take Jap anus relations for $200.

13. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I don't think I've ever watched a "Celebrity Jeopardy" with categories like "Japan Us Relations", "'S' Words" or "An Album Cover" without predicting how they would be misunderstood. I'm a huge fan of WF but I've simply never been crazy about his Trebek. He's not known for his impressions, the only one he's ever truly nailed in terms of accuracy is George W. Bush. His other impressions like Goulet are hilarious even though they aren't incredibly accurate but with Trebek and "Celebrity Jeopardy" he plays the straightman and his talents pretty much go to waste. Darrell Hammond's Sean Connery impression is awful and I don't understand it's popularity. Hammond was clearly hired as "The Next Phil Hartman" and he's nowhere near that level and I'm amazed that he's still on the show. How long has he been on? 9 or 10 years? He's surely getting right up there with Hartman, Kevin Nealon and Tim Meadows, which speaks volumes about how low the standards have become on SNL. I personally think the show needs another massive revamp. The first thing they need is a new head writer. Tina Fey is the worst writer they've had in my lifetime and she's pretty much run the show into the ground as head writer. As for the cast, it's surprisingly solid, they just don't have any decent material to work with. I say get rid of Hammond, Horatio Sanz and that Kel guy. SNL recruited talented castmembers from "SCTV", "The Kids in the Hall", "Upright Citizens Brigade", "Mr. Show", "The Ben Stiller Show" and even "Mad TV" and it's a shame that they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by hiring has-beens from "All That". His Cosby impersonation is embarassing. It's literally no better than the average person's Cosby impersionation (see also Hammond's Schwarzeneggar) and he just can't cut it on SNL. I'm about 50/50 on Seth Meyers, but Fred Armison, Will Forte, Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler, Chris Parnell and Rachel Dratch could be the center of a great cast if there was better material to work with.

14. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Bill,

you make many valid points that I don't see people make. So many seem to think SNL in its current incantation is a decent show. But putting things in perspective, its nowhere near as good as it could be, just like you say.

Its so obvious that the goal is to create a character or characters that get some laughs and then just beat them into the ground by reprising them over and over and over and over, thereby squashing attempts at more innovation.
    Case and point (and there are many to choose from), Amy's teen (you know, the one who runs around yelling RICK). The first time with L.Lohan was funny, but its been on at least 2 more times that I count since then....why ?

Only a few characters deserve the coveted replay (like Wayne's World) but not every frickin one of them !

It's time for Tina to step down. I elect for a vote of no-confidence.