What's new

SNL Season dvds (1 Viewer)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I would also like to see "Best of's" from David Letterman (NBC and CBS) and Conan O'Brien. "Best of" shows have been produced in the past for these, wouldn't it be easy to package and sell them?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would be fine without the muscials. If this would resolve the legal issues, I am for it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
After all these years classic SNL episodes from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s continue to air after the new shows from the current season at 1:01 AM to 2:32 Sundays in all U.S. time zones on NBC's All Night.
The schedule for the upcoming 2 Sundays and a few comments:
March 20 --- Host: John Candy. From the fall of 1983, the third show of the 9th season and one of the best! In the opening of the show, John is late for his opening monolog so regulars Joe Piscopo & Eddie Murphy come out on stage to again play Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton. Their "Honeymooners" routine is interrupted as John shows up in the studio! I don't know if Candy's lateness was real or staged, but we seem him walk over to the set of the first sketch. It takes place at a ski lodge in which John plays a skiier with a broken leg, which an Old Country Doctor (Eddie) plans to set. It was a wonderful sketch, and the doc had the potential to become a regular bit...but Eddie quit the show in February 1984 (he returned once to host the Christmas show that year). Piscopo left SNL 2 months later.
One other memorable sketch is another parody of the Little Rascals and Children of the Damned. See regular Julia-Louis Dreyfus and the other rascals with glowing eyes as they are possessed by Alfalfa (Mary Gross) in "Village of the Damned Little Rascals"! :D The musical group that evening was Men At Work.
John Candy first appeared on SNL in October 1981 in a cameo (as himself) in one sketch in the show hosted by George Kennedy. He and another former SCTV player Eugene Levy were actually scheduled to co-host SNL early in 1985, but there was a writer's strike that stopped the show from happening.
March 27: From the 10th season (1984-85) -- the last produced by Dick Ebersol (before he was promoted to head of NBC Sports and creator Lorne Michaels returned), Ed Asner appears. Ed is one of the few celebrity hosts in SNL history to anchor the Saturday Night News. George Carlin was among those who had also a week earlier, and Jesse Jackson before him that same season. Cast member Christopher Guest eventually become the regular anchor for the rest of that season.
The spoof of both Lou Grant and The Mary Tyler Moore Show is hilarious!
184. Ed Asner/The Kinks
gs: Edward Asner (Himself) The Kinks (Themselves)
Sketches include "Lou Grant's Rescue Mission," "Wing Tips," "60 Minutes," "Nuclear Plant Retiree," and "Aging Peter Pan." The Kinks perform "Do It Again."
b: 17-Nov-1984 d: Dave Wilson
NOTE: Ed Asner really enjoyed hosting the show, and he complains during the credits that they had to cut a bunch of other great sketches. Bill Murray was originally booked as host.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Another interesting bit of trivia: That SNL which John Candy hosted is the only one from 1981 to early 1985 with a completely different theme song than the usual one played by the live band. Listen to it and let me know what that song is! I heard a different rendition of it somewhere else, and I think it goes back to the 1920s or 30s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks