What's new

SNL Season dvds (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Who else would like to see Saturday Night Live come out in season box sets?? At least the classic years.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I would buy every set from the 1985-1995 seasons. To me, the cast that dominted those seasons (Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, early Adam Sandler, Nora Dunn, Jon Lovitz, et al) was the best SNL ever had.

As for the rest, I'd buy a few of the early seasons, and a couple of the more recent ones (say what you will about the "decline" of SNL, but Ferrell and Kattan are gods. Sanz and Fallon aren't half bad, either.) And Tina Fey... And Rachel Dratch... Hell, I'll pick them ALL up.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I was thinking mostly about the Chevy Chase/Dan Akroyd/John Belushi years, but the new ones are really just as funny. If they do make them, I'll really be broke!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Yup :) Dang, this could be THE most expensive DVD collection in history. Over 25 seasons, over 500 LONG episodes... But I would stick it out (would take me some 20 years to pay it all off, probably). I just don't want any more "Best of" SNL packages. I want it on DVD, and I want in in FULL :D

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
As far as getting these episodes uncut - I think that securing the rights to the musical performances would be extremly difficult. The broadcast rights the artist sign away for their appearances are not applicable to home sales for profit. The artists, their management and their contracted distrbutors (record companies) will all want a piece of the pie. There may be additional fees for the actors and writers as well. That is probably the reason the "best of" tapes and DVD's are always released - it only takes one "no" answer to cause an edit in an episode.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
Who here thinks this should be in the polls section?
Just kidding - I am a wild and crazy guy. ;)
I would love to be able to pick out seasons to buy. Some are hits and some are misses...
Bryan

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
1975-1979 .... Yes!
THE all-time funniest SNL moment was ........
>> "Jane, you ignorant slut! When one talks of the dangers of drugs...one isn't concerned with the casual user, such as yourself, who bows to social pressure and takes an occasional toke or snort as a prelude to sexual intercourse with a stranger! My concern is the habitual user, for whom the cumulative effect of the drug has done damage. As for marijuana, all the evidence isn't in....but early reports point to a long-term loss of short-term memory, hyper-development of the male mamalia, and a general lack of ambition which has destroyed this nation's economy! Maybe paraquat wasn't such a bad idea. As a colorless, tasteless, odorless substance which caused lung damage, it deterred at least some marijuana consumption. Maybe a stronger such substance should be added to cocaine. One that produces the actual visible coughing of blood. Let's make killer-dope killer-dope and rid the world of all these drug-dependent degenerates. Then we can concentrate our full attention toward all the hagged-out, dried-out ignorant sluts like yourself!!!" -- Weekend Update/Dan Aykroyd
[Not bad from memory, huh? Who, besides me, wet themselves upon first hearing the above Aykroyd tirade?!]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Who, besides me, wet themselves upon first hearing the above Aykroyd tirade?!]
God, I for one did. I think I laughed all the way through it after the "aprelude to sexual intercourse with a stranger" line.

Still not as funny as:

"Ted Kennedy, he's a big, fat drunk" and Kennedy's reply to Mitt Romney, "Ted Kennedy, one wife at a time".

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Is there any news on more SNL DVDs? I would really like season sets (minus the musical performances, because of the rights issue and that they aren't that good anyway) but its probably not going to happen soon.

I would at the very least still like:

Presidential Bash 2000 (Why was this VHS only???)

Halloween Special

Christmas

SNL Goes Commercial

Best of:

Phil Hartman

Eddie Murphy

Will Ferrell

Alec Baldwin

John Goodman

John Belushi

Chevy Chase

Dan Aykroyd

Bill Murray

There were 68 matches at Amazon.com on VHS for SNL videos, when are the rest coming?

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I would buy season sets of SNL. SNL is a great show but, IMO, best of DVD's will not do justice for this show. I don't really care about the musical performances (I skip thru them when watching the episodes which I taped, so they can edit out the musical performances)

UPDATE: SNL must include the music videos. I just remembered a music video from SNL that I like. John Cougar Mellancamp singing Hurts So Good from an 1980's SNL show. SNL shows must include the music videos. If I don't like the music video(s) then I will fast forward using my DVD remote.

Jackson Catts

Auditioning
I understand that there are SNL DVDs, but are they edited for content? Should this be a concern for fans who want uncensored and unedited SNL?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'd like to see SNL DVDs that feature skits from the dress rehearsals. The dress rehearsals always last about a half hour longer, so there are many clips that don't make it to air. Usually this is because they aren't funny enough, but some times they pick the wrong skits! I went to the dress rehearsal last week and they cut out some hilarious stuff.

Regarding music clearances: Doesn't SNL get to do whatever they want with the musical guest appearances? They are on all the classic SNLs that air on E! - I doubt they had to clear all of those. Plus they have aired complete episodes on VHS before.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
SNL season sets are something that need to happen. A classic show like this, which is really more of an institution by now, needs this. Everything from 1998 on, when Will Ferrell joined the cast, was great. Not just him and Kattan, but Jim Bruer, Cheri Oteri, Ana Gasteyer, Traci Morgan, Tim Meadows, Jimmy Fallon, Maya Rudolph ... and on and on. They all do great work, and they've produced some great characters like the Ladies Man, the Lovers, Astronaut Jones, the Joe Pesci show, and Mango.

Where is the Mango movie by the way? I would be surprised if it didn't happen at some point. Too bad they messed up the Ladies Man, that should have been a great movie.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Music rights for SNL are the ultimate nightmare, and not just in terms of the performances...

You need to factor in background songs and songs performed in sketches and monologues by hosts and cast members (they've used songs by literally everybody from Irving Berlin to Van Halen). You're easily looking at half-a-billion dollars of clearances...

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I would like to see the Sigourney Weaver/Buster Poindexter "SNL" episode from 1986 myself, which featured her and Christopher Durang performing a medley of 80s songs in the style of Bertolt Brecht, and also her singing a duet with Poindexter on "Baby, It's Cold Outside".

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see the Sigourney Weaver/Buster Poindexter "SNL" episode from 1986 myself
I remember seeing that on the reruns on Comedy Central and would agree to love seing that on DVD.

Count me in. I would buy every season also. I hope they don't do the "Best of Will Ferrel" that aired a few weeks ago on DVD becuase I feel the clips they showed werent the best. Starting it off with the Blue Oyster Cult Behind The Music was the best. But the ret of the show needed some help, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks