SNL leaving Comedy Central

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

2. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Hopefully they'll find something funny to replace their constant airings of the recent, unfunny episodes of SNL.

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

How about more Kids in the Hall, South Park, The Critic, bringing back re-runs of Dr. Katz, more episodes of Strangers With Candy, and how about seeing if they can get some Simpsons episodes?

I for one hope they don't replace it with more movies...there are already too many on the channel, and not only having commercials, being edited for TV, and being pan and scan, like all commercial TV movies, they are usually really bad movies. It's always Porky style T and A comedies from 80's...what's the point?

4. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

How about pairing recent Fox drop outs, Futurama and The Family Guy?

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You won't likely find Fox cartoons on Comedy Central, because the last I heard, Comedy Central was a joint venture of AOL/TW and Viacom. I'm sure Fox would rather have them on FX.

6. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

One thing to note from the article is that this won't affect Comedy Central's airings until January 2004 - plenty of time for them to fill the lineup.
    And I agree...bring back the classic MST3K. I remember when it was on every weeknight at midnight - it was a golden age. [​IMG]

7. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Not necessarily, Wayne. I mean, Fox produces Beat The Geeks for Comedy Central, Roswell and Buffy for UPN, and Angel for the WB.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I think the cliche that recent episodes of SNL aren't funny is just that: a cliche. In the past few years, Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Rachel Dratch, Chris Kattan and others have boosted the show up with decent returning sketches. Sure, Horatio Sanz and Tracy Morgan play themselves in every sketch, but they're damn funny too. No one complained about Farley and Sandler doing the exact same thing. I'll watch SNL for Ferrell alone.
    Sure, there are some unfunny sketches and there are entire episodes that suck. But that was the case when Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman was around too. People conveniently forget about those and remember the good moments. Maybe Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon aren't a Dennis Miller, but thankfully they're not a Kevin Nealon or Norm McDonald either.
    I, for one, will miss the reruns on Comedy Central. One thing I never understood though was why they insisted on playing the musical acts all the time. They had to condense the show down from 1.5 hours to 1 hour. It would make sense to dump the (usual) two musical performances, since the name of the channel is Comedy Central. But they always had one, no matter how bad the artist or performance was. Never made sense to me.

9. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

I think it would be a great opportunity to bring back some of those short-lived 'cult' series and introduce them to a new audience.

Ben Stiller Show

Parker Lewis Can't Lose

Police Squad

Sledge Hammer

Freaks and Geeks

I'm sure there's tons of these that can't be all that expensive to get rights to.

Oh, and add my name to those clamoring for the return of classic MST3K.

10. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

^Yes, I would love to see Parker Lewis Can't Lose again. I loved that show. I would also like to see Strangers With Candy and The Upright Citizens Brigade to come back.

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

True, Aaron, but I was merely pointing out that lately each of the big three multimedia megacorporations have been syndicating a lot of their shows on their own cable channels. They are also increasingly using their own studios to produce the shows for their networks instead of buying them from other studios; not too long ago that was forbidden.

12. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

MST3K would be glorious.
    And this time I'd be ready, tape in hand. Blissfully unaware that they were going to leave the channel (and, essentially, television) forever, I never took the time to record those classic Joel episodes.
    Evab

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

SNL hasn't been funny in years. The only good things they do are the presidential stuff, but they don't do it anymore, so the show is once again not funny. With only a few somewhat talented cast members, the show has been in decline since it started, if not before then.

I would love to see MST3K, Dr. Katz, Strangers with Candy, Upright Citizen's Brigade, and other old Comedy Central stuff. I don't want to see them getting old crap from the networks, but they should bring some classic stuff back.

15. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Th original link in this post is dead. When is SNL going to stop on CC?

Oh please oh please bring back

MST3K

Dr. Katz

and add

Family Guy

Simpsons

Ben Stiller Show

In Living Color

16. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since CC no longer holds the rights to most of MST3K's movies, kinda screwed on them coming back [​IMG] That's why the series was only in syndication a year, they dind't have a lot of the rights

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

SNL has been better the last few years, a few eps like the Ian McKellan one were fantastic. Some sketches like Jeopardy were outstanding, but nothing like the Dana Carvey/Mike Meyers/Kevin Nealon/Phil Hartman et all days, where there were 5 or 6 continuing characters that were hysterical.

Mostly it's meh

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

One time on Beat The Geeks, the TV geek put it perfectly when he was challenged by a contestant:

"This is gonna be like an SNL sketch: long and painful."