What's new

SNL "Best of" Sets - Lion's Gate or Trimark (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I want to get a bunch of the SNL Best of sets for someone for X-Mas. I have noticed that for some of the performers (Sandler, Farley, Rock and Carvey from what I can remember) some retailers still have the old Trimark discs available. I have heard that there are differences between these and the newer Lion's Gate releases. Can someone tell me which is the better set for these performers?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David. Yeah I saw this set at my Costco and went to buy it yesterday. Of course, by then, they were sold out and were not getting anymore in. All the other stores near me were sold out too. But actually, DeepDiscountDVD has most of the discs for pretty cheap and that way I don't have to get the performers I don't really want that bad such as Molly Shannon or Chris Kattan.

BTW, good job finding the set on Costco's website because I could not find it at all. But it will probably end up costing me less just buying the discs I want at DDD.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Right now I have both versions of the "Best of Eddie Murphy" Can anyone tell me which one to return? The Trimark release lists a longer running time than the Lion's Gate release. Did the Lion's Gate release cut sketches, or do they have sketches that they are classifying as extras?

BrianJau

Agent
I got the Costco giant set for Christmas, and it is all Lion's Gate releases, except for "The Best of Chris Rock" which is the Trimark release. This is kind of annoying. I almost feel like I want to get the Lion's Gate Chris Rock DVD just so the collection will look nicer as a set (the Lion's Gate boxes are a lot more attractive I feel). Is there anything on the newer Chris Rock release that isn't on the original?

The box set pretty much has everything that Lion's Gate has put out, except for The Best of Tracy Morgan. And the Best of Jimmy Fallon, which comes out later this month (for which they've changed the box art once again).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the original Chris Rock disc, but I have the LG one. The bonus features are:

Dress Rehearsal
Photo Gallery
Outtakes

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has anybody compared the Eddie Murphy discs? I've seen both at my local Best Buy, and have heard some negative things about the Lion's Gate disc. Does anyone know if the Tri-mark disc is better?

I really want the Boyscout/Reggae Band skit, but it's not on the Lion's Gate. I want as much as possible (i.e. Celebrity Hot Tub, Stevie Wonder, Mr. Robert's Neighborhood, etc....)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
The best Eddie Murphy compilation by far is the one Paramount released on VHS in 1989 (I believe). That version puts the LG one to shame. It contained the reggae band skit as Eric mentioned above. The "Buckwheat has been shot" segment was scattered throughout the entire presentation, as though it was really breaking news. I don't own the LG DVD of Eddie Murphy, but I do have the video, and I was utterly disappointed the day I bought it and watched it.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The LG DVD also has the Buckwheat has been shot spread about...although it unfortunately doesn't have the classic "Kill the white people" reggae band...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks