What's new

Snl 11/13/2004 (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
Who was the musical guest? I couldn't really understand what they said when they were announced- something about "mouse"?

The only thing I really thought was funny was the pet parrot skit, just absurd.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
What was surreal about Modest Mouse's appearance? I don't know anything about them, but I've enjoyed them on SNL and Conan.

The parrot sketch was cool.

~T

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Does Modest Mouse tune their instruments? The lead singers guitar was horribly out of tune for both songs. Or is that their "thing"?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The parrot sketch was simultaneously odd & hilarious. Fred Armisen had the bird characteristics down. That's one for a future "Best Of..." collection.

I also liked the opening sketch with Kerry & Gore enjoying the time off while Bush has to run the country.

Liam Neeson was pretty much wasted.

I think they've gone to the well one too many times with "Appalachian Emergency Room".

They're already repeating fake commercials (Dr. Porkenheimer's Boner Juice). Do they only have the budget to make 3 or 4 of these a year??

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was out and only caught the end of the show. I hate to say it, but Modest Mouse made me long for the days of Jessica Simpson! :thumbsdown:

(And I am no fan of anything even remotely resembling Jessica Simpson. . .)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I guess it's hard to explain: Modest Mouse has been around for years -- releasing their first single in 93/94 and their first LP in 1996. There are several indie rock bands on the planet that you just kind of accept as too angular and obtuse for "mainstream" music.

So, while some bands (say like Fugazi, Mogwai, Modest Mouse, Sleater-Kinney, etc)- were sort of "household names" among a certain sect of music listeners--- you never really expect for them to make a mark in mass media.

Heck, Isaac sang with a horrible lisp, their songs are angular and weird, and the write lyrics like "Eating snowflakes with plastic forks, and a paper plate of course." I jst never expected to hear it on Mtv or see them on SNL.

So, for me, it's kind of like seeing an old friend become famous-- you remember those times eating greasy food at the corner diner, and now they're on the cover of people magazine. if that makes any sense.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It's true that MM weren't having their best night performance wise....but at least you damn well know they weren't lip-syncing!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

See, the problem is that many of the bands of this ilk tend to be a bit "uneven" live. Because of the nature of what they do- it's certainly possible to have an off night.

Bands like this are at their best when they're having the most funa nd when the audience is having the most fun--not necessarily when they have their "act" down- as they don't really have an "act." Some bands get up there and they perform, they are at their core PERFORMERS-- and some bands get up there and rock out. And you can tell the difference.

some of the best bands of the last 2 generations have put in some of the worst live performances i have ever seen. I guess that's why you get shit like Simpson lip syncing in the first place- god forbid a human have an off night in front of ump-million people watching on the glowing box...

-V

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Anyone notice that old stalwarts of the show haven't seemingly been on in forever? I mean, when was the last time Paul Simon came on? etc.

I watched part this weekend, and couldn't believe the repitition in bits I had already seen.. from this year! Has the writing staff really either (a) run out of money or (b) run out of ideas?

If this season goes as it has begun, it will end up right in the Anthony Michael Hall year type of SNL.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

MM has been getting some publicity lately, although I hadn't heard of them until very recently. I'm familiar with those other three bands, though.

I guess I can chalk it up to an off night, since it's the only time I've actually heard them play. I once saw Motley Crue suck incredibly badly on one of the late night talk shows, and then saw them put on an absolutely amazing show the very next day at the Beacon Theatre. (I was pretty nervous about it after the TV debacle. :) )

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
It seemed to me that the sound mix was just not right...The singer's guitar was not loud enough, and the other singers could not be heard...do these sound engineers even go to rehersal??? Is the mix that goes live to the studio the same that gets broadcast? If so somebody should of said something. Shouldn't the band's sound guy let them know what the levels should be?

It seems lately that tv shows are just not getting the live mix right for musical guests. I saw Lenny Kravitz on Leno last night, and his lead guitarist was not even in the mix!!! The solo came, and nothing...Lenny stopped playing to fix his scarff...and all the sound stopped (except bass and drums). They even had a hammond organ that you could barely hear. What's up with this??? I know sound guys love to have 100% complete control of the sound, but come on, you've got to reproduce what the band actually sounds like...otherwise just go back to American Bandstand and play the CD, at least I wouldn't waste my time watching...sorry for the rant, but this is just something that has been bugging me lately.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
FWIW, I thought Modest Mouse sounded good (not great), although it's pretty obvious that what they do isn't going to be everybody's thing. Good News for People Who Love Bad News, where the possibly familiar single "Float On" is found, is terrific. One radio station compared them to Talking Heads, a not-so-good comparison I can only imagine stemming from the vocal delivery. Very refreshing to see a band like this on a big national stage.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
You'll be able to see a longer performance soon, they're taping an Austin City Limits next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.