snapping speakers or faulty receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rick bie, Feb 10, 2003.

1. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 1803 receiver with EPI speakers in my Living room which sound fairly good. But here is my problem, in the kitchen I have two boom box speakers running off the B zone of the receiver. Every once and a while I can hear just the speakers in the kitchen make a snapping or cracking sound. I do not know if they are 8 ohm speakers, but with my previous Pioneer VSX405 receiver they worked just fine as 2nd zone speakers. I don't mind replacing them if they are the problem, but its just that I don't want to do that if it is the receiver.Also if it is the speakers why didn't they snap with the old receiver?
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Rick

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rick,

When you take speakers designed for a 10-15 watt boom box and connect them to a 100 watt receiver, you have to expect that they just won’t work well.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. rick bie

rick bie Stunt Coordinator

I had already thought the same thing except that the speakers snap or crack even during low volume (the sound seems to almost be on a cycle) and the old receiver was 80watts and there was no problem for 4 years until I got the Denon. My concern besides getting new speakers is that I have something setup wrong with the receiver. I was hoping this was something other Denon owners had seen and it was just a matter of changing a setting on the receiver.
    I am planning on getting new speakers anyway, I just do not want to possibly ruin new speakers.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If they’re making the noise at low volume then I would definitely suspect the receiver. Try switching the connections for the purpose of a test – your main speakers to the 2nd zone, and the boom box speakers to the main L/R. This will tell you for sure if the problem is the speakers or the Denon.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

rick, I've read at least one post from another forum member who had to return his 1803 because the 2nd zone would not work properly. He couldn't get it to work despite multiple calls to Denon support. Just FYI.