snappers and cardboard cases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Pakula, May 5, 2004.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I recently was looking at some of the few movies I own that has the honour of being either a snapper or a carboard slipcase. While I was looking at them I noticed some of them have a bit of damage like line scratches of sorts you can't tell by just looking at it but rather look closey. I also noticed how on some of the cardboard slipcases like the Escape From New York Special Edition there was some scratches on the back of the shiny holgram like part on the details part of case. It just pains me for only having this for a little a while it already is damaged. It was now time to move these snapper and cardboard slip cases into a private doorer in a cabinet along with my tv dvds in a seperate doorer. Before I moved the dvds up until now they were stacked either on top or below of the regular keepcases but little did I realize this would be a badidea. My regular keepcases are perfectly fine though. Its lucky for me though that since I know someone who works at a video store they can easily replace the cases for the snappers otherwise I wouldn't know what I would do. Do I seem a bit overworked up over nothing as its the dvd that really counts or do you like to take care of your dvds and if so what do you do to keep them in good shape?. Can someone also tell me why certain studios feel the need to release dvds in these cases and not just the regular keepcases?.

-Mike

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    You are not alone in your disapointment. Most DVD collectors do not like snapper cases. Many of us have converted all our snapper cases to keepcases. Go to DVD Coverart.com, download the artwork for your DVD's, and print them out, and slip them in a keepcase.

3. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I've been collecting for years and have NEVER had a problem with snappers or any other case. are they great cases? not really. do they ruin my enjoyment or the look of my library...nope. out of over 1,500 titles..I cant find damage on any of them. I also keep every dvd case sealed in a plastic sleeve/bag. I take very good care of the collection and it shows.

I prefer to bitch about dvd delamination and disc manufacturing problems via lack of quality control. much more important and always denied.

4. Ben_@

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

what is delamination?

5. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

delamination is much more correct than dvd-rot. the discs are not rotting. the disc/layers are not bonded properley or faulty glue and techniques were used. this could all be solved with proper quality control but the manufactures have never considered launching an investigation. they could care less. it's up to the consumers to make a big stink about it...and maybe, just maybe...one day the heads of forums like this one will ask that something be done about it. oh wait...HD-DVD is coming. who cares about all our dvds?

6. Ben_@

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

thanks Todd. Thankfully I have yet to experience delamination for myself.
    I really don't like snapper cases. They just feel cheap. Even if the disc itself isn't an SE, I'd like something that felt more solid than the flimsy cardboard cover. The main reason I didn't buy The Matrix when it came out was because it was in a snapper case.

7. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

When I put a DVD with a "snapper" case beside another one on the shelf, those plastic parts around the edges sometimes get "stuck" to each other if the space on the shelf is a bit too narrow. That's the problem with "snappers" in my opinion. The fact that there's also a lot of cardboard involved doesn't bother me at all. I think the artwork tends to look better on a piece of cardboard than behind plastic.