Snapper weirdness.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Beam, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I picked up a previously-viewed copy of SWORDFISH recently at Blockbuster Video, and noticed something strange: it came in a platic case and NOT a snapper. I pulled out the insert, thinking maybe they'd simply cut up the snapper cardboard to fit into a standard plastic case, but no! It was the real deal: a glossy paper insert designed for a regular plastic case, NOT a snapper. A quick look at a new, unopened copy of SWORDFISH thickened the mystery: it was in a snapper! What's up with this?

Here's my theory: Warner is providing the rental chains with non-snapper copies of their discs, presumably to prevent wear-and-tear on the cases and also to avoid having their films displayed in generic black boxes. Thoughts? Maybe this is old news, but I found it really interesting... I wonder if this is a sign that snappers are on their way out...

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

your blockbuster is wierd then. all rental discs from warner and new line (not infini film) are snapper.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ryan, no, they're not.

Warner is supplying keepcase covers to rental chains because snappers wear too fast

I wish they'd make those covers available to the REST of us!

4. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

or this is how they look at my blockbuster

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

At the Ballbuster near me Moulin Rouge also had a insert printed especially for Ballbuster.

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

This system is also what Hollywood has in place, or at least the two I visit regurlarly. The new releases from Warner are in keepcases, as are New Line and HBO.

I first noticed the difference with the Godfather collection at Blockbuster. Instead of using the delicate cardboard sleeves the boxed-set uses, all the rental discs were in keepcases - of a completely unique art design to the boxed-set's. (Instead of close-up facials they had a simple Godfather logo on black on the cover with content and rights information on the back)

I asked one of the reps if it would be possible to get copies of those cases and he said he wouldn't know how to get them - "...they come to us that way."

As I pulled out my Godfather set two nights ago, I noticed some of the black was removed from the edges where the discs rested up against the back rail of my DVD rack. Seems just resting against a flat wooden rail, maybe some slight sliding as DVDs were added and organized, is enough to wear a white line into the black spines of the cardboard sleeves. I doubt BBs rentals will see that kind of permanent damage to the cases.

Official cover inserts should be made available, at least. It isn't too much to ask.

8. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I noticed quite awhile ago that my Blockbuster had a copy of Casablanca in a keepcase; been wondering about it - and how I could get one - ever since.

Jon

9. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    My copy of CASABLANCA, which I've had for about three years now, came in a keepcase and was issued by MGM/UA. It has since been reissued by Warner (presumably in a snapper, though I've never seen it). The copy you saw was most likely the earlier edition (which, by the way, is identical to the current version except for the case type).

10. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

Warner discs in Ireland and Britain are also issued in those awful snapper cases. However, rental copies (in Ireland; not sure about Britain) of "big" titles may come in Amary-style cases with genuine printed inserts. "Swordfish" was an example here, too: the rental version in a translucent keepcase, while the retail version comes in a vile "day-glo green" snapper (not entirely inappropriate, given the film in question [​IMG]).
    Such inserts are not prepared for a specific named chain of outlets, but do tend to state something along the lines of "rental copy only" - although that does not stop at least some of them being sold off when they are past their mass consumption prime.
    In Australia (and New Zealand?), Warner was persuaded to do away with those dreadful card cases. If only the company would see sense elsewhere... [​IMG]

11. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

Oh, and the "Godfather" box got special treatment, too. Each of the three features came in keepcases with tailor-made inserts. The covers were rather good: text-free, sepia-toned moody close-ups of Brando, De Niro and Pacino respectively. To my knowledge, the extras disc was not made avaiable for rental.
    Die, snapper, die!!! [​IMG]