Snapper to Keepcase

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

How hard is it to move a DVD from a snapper to a keep case (Amray, etc.). I mean there is no pull out label. What do you do, trim the cardboard so it will fit in the sleeve, I guess?

I bought enough keep cases to replace all my snappers and I'm thinking about doing it, but not sure how it will come out.

I did move my ST II: TWOK Director's Cut, from the case it came in to a slimline double.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

No, you scan/resize/print....or download from dvdcoverart.com or various other places, and print.

3. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

i second dvdcoverart.com, great when buying used DVD's at Blockbuster than don't come with the original labels, or that have really hacked up labels....
    I even use those annoying AOL trial cases that come in the mail to replace the too small Blockbuster cases that some of them come in....i knew there would be a use for those darn AOL cases....[​IMG]

4. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Print them, I agree, but make sure you have a good color printer.

Now as far as "hacked" up blockbuster cases??? WTF?????

When I get dvd's at blockbuster they are A1 perfect cases no damage, they put stickers on them, but they come off easily enough no worries. There is 1 blockbuster in town that write with gold marker ON THE DISC! But I bought a few there and will never shop there again. Besides those mistakes from that store. You wouldn't be able to pick out my pre-viewed and my new dvd's.

Find another store!

5. TonyE

TonyE Stunt Coordinator

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    FYI, if you don't have a good printer, http://www.dv-depot.com prints the cover scans (or custome covers) for you for $2-3 each, depending on the cover size. I've used them to convert 30+ snappers and box sets.
    If they don't have the cover image in their system, they will scan it for you and add it if they have the DVD in stock. They also have permission to use any of the cover art posted to dvdcoverart.com, so you can request they add it that way if available. They have a message board for requests. You can also upload your own scans/custome covers to their FTP site, and then they will add them to the system for printing.
    They also have the alpha cases available.

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

it's temporarily down while I search for a new host

9. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

An option not everyone may be aware of, you can buy plastic bags that slide over the cardboard artwork of snapper cases.
    Remove the card from the plastic case, slip the the baggie over it and tape it down, and reatach the plastic case (which bites thru the bag).
    I've ordered them thru Bags Unlimited. They have two sizes, one for the standad and one for those with the trifold covers (or which I have more than I expected so I have to buy a handful of those now).
    Another option for those concerned about preserving their cases . [​IMG]
    -paul

10. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

It's not just that... the plastic clasps on the front catch keepcases when you're removing them from the shelf, so you generally have to seperate the two kinds of case. Also, after a lot of use, the clasp begins to get brittle at the hinge (turns all white) and I'm afraid some of my older snappers may begin to break soon.

11. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I've actually cut up a few snappers...
    The cardboard is easy to remove, but you have to crop alot off the top and bottom to get it to fit in a keepcase. It's also nice to split the cardboard (using a very sharp knife)to make it thinner, so that it's more fleixible in the spine area.

But this is definitly something you should think hard about before doing- I've regretted cutting one case...

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Daniel, I am thinking of going this route. I have a good paper cutter so that should make the trimming easier.

I can't quite figure out how to remove the cardboard from the plastic, without damaging it, though. It looks like it should just slide out, but it won't

13. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

Turn the snap case over and lift up on the plastic strip along the top and bottom edges of the case. Once you un-clip them, the cover will lift right out. Rather clever design. Too bad the original thinking was used on something more practical...

Dan