What's new

Snake's back? "Escape from Earth" rumor (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I would REALLY love to see this happen. ONLY if Carpenter is directing though. Perhaps we'll see a new DVD of L.A. as well.

James@R

Second Unit
God, I hope this is true. They could've made a Snake film every two years as far as I'm concerned.

But it will be interesting to see what Carpenter has done with the title. If I recall, he originally just threw it out as a joke during interviews for EFLA. The biggest question of course is: If Snake leaves the Earth, where is he going to go?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Answer: Who cares because it'll be cool since Snake Plissken is going there. :)

As much as I want to see this, I'll go with everyone else's cautiously optimistic attitude. And (as Michael also said) at the very least, it'll guarantee an anamorphic release of Escape From L.A.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Hey, it's better than Carpenter's joke of Michael Myers in Space. :D

I think it could be a lot of fun having a prison outside of Earth (if that's what Carpenter plans).

I hadn't heard about this. So, is Carpenter getting back into directing full time? Last I heard it seemed like he was retired.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
If this turns out to be true, I'll be quite ecstatic. The fact that it comes from an anonymous tipper leaves me with major doubts though.

I'm one of the seemingly few who loved Escape From L.A. Beyond the pure fun of the film, I also love it's scathing social commentary.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I dunno. Escape from L.A. was horrendous on every level, and it's been a LONG time since John Carpenter made a good film (it's been a long time since he's made a film). Escape From New York worked because of the political commentary, or social commentary rather. Maybe the next movie should be Escape from Washington D.C.? Snake Plissken must sit through two hours of Senate debate. Will he survive..?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Loved Escape from New York, but hated the rehashed LA. It was to bright, clean and pretty, and had some of the worst cgi fx.

James@R

Second Unit
In defense of LA, many of that film's problems were a result of the studio's interference. (According to Carpenter anyway.) First, they decided that audiences probably wouldn't remember EFNY, so they wanted the film to essentially be a remake. Then they forced Carpenter to finish the film in time for a summer deadline- at the expense of the fx.

True. And I definitely think if we have the chance to see a Snake Plissken film called, "Escape From Earth", we shouldn't question it. :)

I was merely asking since this isn't really a series you associate with interplanetary travel. The suggestion of a prison in space is cool, but you have to wonder how it got there. After all, the Earth was sent back to the Dark Ages in EFLA. Perhaps an old government project that was never fully implemented?

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
This sounds great, and I am also excited about the more imminent sequel, "Snake's on a Plane." Anyone else?

ME

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I personally thought CIGARETTE BURNS was among his best work. I think his 90's stuff was "good", just not "great" like his early days. He certainly needs a comeback and teaming up with Russell might just be what he needs.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

My brother and I both said that there should definately be a crossover with that title. Samuel L. Jackson meets Snake = $$.

But anyway, I'd be all over this as long as Carpenter directs it.

Heck, I'd be there if he doesn't. :D

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just cast Sam Jackson in the next "Escape" as an old gun running buddy of Snake's (or something similar.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you can never go back to your glory days but I think Carpenter's stuff from the 1990's will be getting another look in coming years just like his 1980's stuff did in the 90's. I think In The Mouth Of Madness is one of his best movies, I loved The Gas Station segment of Body Bags, and while Escape From L.A., Village Of The Damned and Vampires aren't his best, they're still good efforts.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I love "In the Mouth of Madness." It's definately one of his best. "Cigarette Burns" was good, too. I wish Carpenter would return to directing full time. What's with directors sporting the intials "JC" going on hiatus? ;)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

So true. Outside of HALLOWEEN it seems every Carpenter film took 10+ years to catch on with fans.

Since this is turning out to be a confessional:

I admit to enjoying VAMPIRES, THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, INVISIBLE MAN and VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. :) Are they are good as HALLO>FOG>ESCAPE>THING? Not at all but not many horror films are. Especially those from the past 25 years.

The only one I didn't like was GHOSTS OF MARS (or whatever the title). I've been meaning to give ESCAPE FROM L.A. a second shot and with this news I'll jump to that this week.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, sorry to say but this rumor is just that, a rumor. This was the reply I got from Carpenter's assistant:

Oh well.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Kinda glad it's a rumor, I loved EFNY, LA was crap and looking at Kurt Russell in Sky High, well he's getting up there in years, probably would have been a bad idea.

Josh.C

Second Unit

I dunno, but they are some dang good initaials if I say so myself! :)

I laugh every time I see this trailer. I can't believe this is acutally going to be a movie. I'll be surprised if it earns 1 1/2 stars.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks