What's new

SNAKES Are Out and About on Christmas Eve in CT (71 Degrees!) (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
This is a first! Not only has this been the warmest December on record here in Beacon Falls, CT, but it's the first time that I've ever seen a snake on Christmas Eve!

I was taking my daily 3 mile (round trip) walk to the Post Office, and on my way back, just before crossing a foot bridge that goes over a brook, I happened to look down and saw this:

Snake1.jpg

Snake2.jpg

Snake3.jpg

Snake4.jpg

Snake5.jpg

I believe that it's just a common water snake (any herpetologists out there?) It looked to be about 2 feet long. It just froze, and let me take its picture for about 4 minutes, then just slithered away, up and over the bank, and down towards the brook, and disappeared.

Back in December of 1980, it was 10 degrees BELOW zero on Christmas eve! Never thought I'd live to see a snake out and about at this time of the year!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Of course this freak weather was bound to happen because I went out and spent $700 on a new snow blower!

Just the same as when I went for almost a week without electricity due to a freak, end of October snowfall in 2011. Now that I have multiple power backup redundancy, it's for sure that there will never be another outage for as long as I live!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm from Connecticut too, I do miss it at times, but not the expensive cost of living. Before the subdivisions built came into play, it was great being a kid and playing out in the woods of Fairfield County.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I caught part of a news report (PBS) that stated that northern Texas is headed for an historic blizzard with 15" of snow and 50 MPH winds.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Adam Lenhardt said:
It always amazes me that the same road is in Boston and Seattle (and a few miles from where I'm typing this). I-90 has to be one of the great transcontinental roads, along with Route 20 before it.
Along with I-80 that starts in San Francisco and ends up in New York. Amazing that they were all built by Mike Frezon's dog.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Dennis Nicholls said:
Along with I-80 that starts in San Francisco and ends up in New York. Amazing that they were all built by Mike Frezon's dog.
It took me a second to get the joke. [emoji1]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How hard can it be to spell "Ike" correctly on a sign?!?

1968217845_fd27dee738.jpg

And, I'd like to note that Ike had a little help from my big blue ox (not pictured).

gallery_286742_34_37902.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A iend of mine had a blond cocker spaniel named "Monty". I suppose that the two dog's names suited their personalities correctly according to history.

Users who are viewing this thread