What's new

Smurfs, Chipmunks, and Muppet Babies DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has there even been any talk of bringing Smurfs, Muppet Babies, or Alvin & Chipmunks to DVD?

Paul

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
http://www.chipmunks.com/catalog/index.php

...that's about all there is right now, but more DVD's should be coming for Alvin and the gang.

As for Smurfs, I haven't heard anything, but you never know... it was certainly popular enough to warrant a release now. Muppet Babies is apparently getting released onto DVD along with some stuffed animal toys at Target. I haven't seen any of the DVD's myself, but I know they exist... just not as a regular release.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I would have though that "Alvin and the Chipmunks" would languish in Music Clearance hell. I believe most episodes had a copywrited song in there somewhere.

Now that I think of it, pretty much every episode of Muppet Babies had a song in it too. But I think probably most of those were written for the show so clearances wouldn't be as much of an issue.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Muppet Babies did use tons of movie clips though...I wonder how that will play out.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Alvin & the Chipmunks was great. Too bad they were basically covering a Top 40 hit every episode. I would think that would make it almost impossible to get the whole series out on DVD.

And the Muppet Babies used a ton of clips. Now that The Muppets have been acquired by Disney, does that mean they now own the Muppet Babies? I have a feeling that CBS/Marvel/JH Productions made a deal with someone to have access to clips from their film library. And now that I think about it, I remember reading that Larry Swerdlove (wrote about 30 episodes w/his wife & won an Emmy) said Marvel made a deal with Republic Pictures to use their film library. Certainly this deal would not have included home video usage rights. And if it did, the Disney acquistion of The Muppets probably nixed the deal for sure.

But it's interesting that some episodes are being released along with stuffed animals at Target. Someone who purchased one actually said one of the Star Wars-themed episodes was included with their and that it still contained the Star Wars footage!

Even a "Best of" compilation (gotta have the Raiders of the Lost Ark parody) would be acceptable, but I would understand so many more of the film/TV/pop culture references now as an adult - so, of course, I want to see/own them all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks