What's new

Smooth or Hard? (1 Viewer)

Megan T

Auditioning
Hey thought I would get your attention. I need to know whether it is possible to finish the ceiling smoothly or does it has to be textured. My buddy said it was not possible and overtime the sheetrock will buckle. As far as acoustic value go, how much sound quality will I suffer?
The ceiling is aproximately 7.5 feet tall.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
More work = taping, mudding, and painting (all art forms) just like you would your walls so there are no seams.

None. If you're thinking that the little ridges in a textured ceiling will act as diffusers that is. They're too small to really do anything. Personally I much prefer the look of a finished ceiling vs. one that is textured or stippled but YMMV. As an in-between solution you might consider a suspended ceiling that has a clean surface but is not as much work as finished dry wall. As an acoustic barrier, however, it is more limited and if not installed properly may rattle.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

Thats crazy, I don't imagine he has looked in any new houses lately, most have gone with flat ceilings, popcorn ceilings are a thing of the past, IMHO. My new house has all smooth ceilings and I much prefer this look. Popcorn or textured ceilings were done has an easier method of finishing the ceiling area, thus cheaper. Like the others have said, its just more work but can be done. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks