What's new

Smokey Robinson PROMO vinyl LP (1 Viewer)

Phil_H

Auditioning
I don't see any forums specifically for vinyl records so I thought I'd post this here.
I had a tenant move out of one of my rental properties and she left behind a small stack of vinyl LP's.
One of the LP's is Smokey Robinson - Smoke Signals
In the upper left corner of the front cover, this is stamped in gold ink....

FOR PROMOTION ONLY
OWNERSHIP RESERVED BY
MOTOWN RECORDS
SALE IS UNLAWFUL

What can I do with this LP? Is it legal to even own it?

20190603_040951.jpg
20190603_041009.jpg

Phil

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to move this thread to the Music area where album discussion takes place.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Those stamps were used to indicate that the album was sent as a sample to reviewers, record store buyers and managers, etc. There is no legal issue with you owning it or re-selling it and some promo copies are considered collectibles, check out www.discogs.com for information.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have a number of these bought in second hand record stores decades ago. No special value unless the mix on there is different than what was commercially available, then it may be worth something.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
They're called "gold stamp promos" and if in great condition, are usually a bit more collectable than the retail versions. Sometimes they also have a white label on the front listing the song titles and times for each song, for the DJ to reference- like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUL-LP-ED...278638?hash=item1efa5ae0ae:g:8SEAAOSwkZFc10xd

I own several myself, and you'll find many for sale on eBay, Discogs, etc. Don't worry---nobody is going to come knocking on your door to confiscate it. ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks