Smokey - Another Universal Dip

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

FROM DVD ACTIVE:

Title: Smokey and the Bandit
    Starring: Burt Reynolds
    Released: 30th May 2006
    SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
    Universal Home Video has today announced a special edition of Smokey and the Bandit which stars Burt Reynolds, Jackie Gleason and Sally Field. This single-disc set will be available to own from the 30th May, and should set you back around $19.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo and Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. I'm afraid Universal has yet to reveal any further details, but we'll bring you the full specs shortly. Stay tuned for that.

Common Univesal; There are TOO MANY titles from your catalogue still MIA. Could you dip into it? GOLDEN AGE OF SCI FI, MORE NOIR, PRESTON STURGES, ROCK HUDSON/DOUGLAS SIRK, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, MATINEE, RON HOWARD RE-ISSUES of PARENTHOOD and THE PAPER Anamorphic, Soderberg's KING OF THE HILL, Anamorphic re-issues of COLOSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT, ICEMAN, CHARLEY VARRICK, GREAT WALDO PEPPER, EARTHQUAKE, DEATH BECOMES HER I could go on. Please UNIVERSAL start dipping into your titles more.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, nearly every title announcement becomes a "why aren't you releasing _____" thread.

Personally, I think the remaster on the Pursuit Pack triple feature is flawless. Excellent video and one of the best mono tracks I've heard on a film.

3. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I hear what you're saying, Bradley. Alot of us collectors
    are going through the "should I buy the latest double dip
    or should I just hold onto what I have" dilemma. I also
    agree with you about Parenthood. Please, Universal,
    release a watchable version of this film with some extras. I won't watch my foolscreen version anymore.

4. Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere a while back the following and wonder if it is true or just an Urban Legend?

When originally released Smokey was a R rated Adult comedy and bombed.
    It was then cut by some 20-25 mins and turned into the current family friendly version which was a big hit.

5. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Since I'm not interested in parts 2 & 3 (and only have the original release), I may get this.

I've never heard of this, but it would be interesting if it were true.

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    I've read about an R-rated version on this forum before, but never found any real proof that it actually existed. All I can say is that the film has some of the worst ADR work I've ever encountered in a theatrical feature, about as bad as the TV versions of films such as Basic Instinct and Scarface. People claimed that some of the ADR work replaced the original, raunchier dialogue. No idea if it's true though.
    I guess I'll buy this disc. Just as Joe:C, I still have the original, non-anamorphic release because I couldn't bring myself to buy the "Pursuit Pack". Not only because the sequels are bad, but also because Part 3 is non-anamorphic.