What's new

Smileboxed THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM -- Will it ever make it to Bluray? (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill Huelbig said:
I only hope George Feltenstein from Warner Home Video was in the house.
Walking back to the hotel, crossing Sunset Blvd. at the corner of Ivar, I was not the only person whistling that catchy Brothers Grimm theme.
1) me, too. 2) they were whistling it all the way to the mens room, and most of the time in the mens room... I think most of these folks knew the tune before they got there. ; )

Neil S. Bulk said:
But was anyone yodeling "Ah-Oom"?
I didn't yodel it out loud, but that tune was definitely running through my head when I went back to work yesterday.
I saw 5 films at the Dome over three days: Mad Mad World, This is Cinerama, Seven Wonders, Brothers Grimm and 2001. One thing they had in common besides Cinerama: they all had superb musical scores.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob Furmanek said:
Boy, I wish I could have been there. Sounds like a blast.
Just for you, Bill:
If you can find it, the Al Caiola version of this is simply the best of all, actually improving upon the very fine Leigh Harline original.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
if anyone has the patience to page back a bit here, some time ago I posted a link to a video of the Brothers Grimm theme being played on the Lawrence Welk show. Anna won, anna too... (cue the bubbles!) Update: Oh, that's what Dick was talking about. Nevermind.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
NY2LA said:
if anyone has the patience to page back a bit here, some time ago I posted a link to a video of the Brothers Grimm theme being played on the Lawrence Welk show. Anna won, anna too... (cue the bubbles!)
(Stan Freberg: ) Turn off da bubble machine... :D

(Sorry, had that record permanently etched into my subconscious since childhood, along with the Grimm story album.)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JSLasher said:
A most perceptive review. Most appreciated. Wish I had been there, particularly to watch WWOTBG.
Hi John. what post are you referring to?
Forgive me if it's been asked before, but can you tell us a bit about your past Cinerama experiences in Australia? Did you ever get to Mr. Mitchell's back yard?

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
After John answers, I've got a question about the laserdisc...... This topic perked my interest again. Got my LD out and watched it last night.
" Not only does it include an Overture, Entr'acte and Exit Music; it also includes the long-unseen two-minute prologue to the main title. After we see the M-G-M lion roaring and the words "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Cinerama present a George Pal Production", the scene changes to show two armies firing off cannon furiously, while the announcer says, "Once again, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, Europe was torn by the sounds of war. However, if you listen very closely, you might hear another, very different sound". The camera then pans into the horizon while we hear the soft sounds of quill pens writing on paper. The scene then switches to show Laurence Harvey and Karl Boehm writing busily as the credits come up onscreen."
BTW, NY2LA, thanks for the earlier link to the petition. I just signed it too.

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher
Thanks to NY2LA for his reply. I was referring to a review about the Cinerama screenings at the Cinerama Hollywood Dome.

I appreciate your asking about my Cinerama experiences in Australia. After I purchased the Kinopanorama PSO-1960 camera from Russia in early 1994 I scheduled the transportation of the camera gear and three Russian film makers to Australia. As I had previously been invited to visit the 'backyard Cinerama theatre' to watch HTWWW and a few other Cinerama films, it was only natural that the Kinopanorama footage, which had been couriered over from Moscow in September 1994, would be screened there. After the Russians arrived we arranged for a screening of the 'work prints' of a short-subject Kinopanorama film, titled Bounty, to be exhibited there before invited guests, including an official from the Russian Consulate in Sydney. The screening was a less than memorable experience for all concerned. The facilities were filthy. The host, a man lacking in any social graces, offered nothing in the way of refreshments. The guests were left to fend for themselves. To make matters worse, the projectionist would not keep his hands of the priceless camera despite being asked to do so. In one instance, without the knowledge of this writer, he turned the camera motor on without closing the film gate. The shutter was badly damaged. Sergei Rozhkov, one of the Russians who supervised the rebuilding of the priceless camera, spent over one-hour reshaping the shutter into a workable shape. The projectionist, who quickly lost the respect of the visitors, tossed off the incident of the damage as "very funny, indeed."

This was only one of many such incidents with the 'backyard projectionist'. Eventually we parted ways, as it was no longer possible to interact with him. In retrospect, we never really got on from day one. It was a clash of egos, not to mention eccentricities on both our parts.

Many readers on Home Theatre Forum are well aware I have been very critical of the so-called "Cinerama Mafia" over time. The animus with certain individuals is ongoing. I speak my mind whenever someone takes it upon themselves to make inaccurate comments about Kinopanorama or my working methods. If this offends others, then so be it. I am my own man. I recall a comment made to me in 1972 by the legendary film composer, Bernard Herrmann, with whom I worked on two projects during his lifetime: "Pigeons flock together, Eagles soar alone." A prescient remark on his part.

So, there you are. Long live Cinerama! -- and Kinopanorama!

tonyquinn40

Auditioning
Real Name
tony quinn
yes the three panel Cinerama film of THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM will be shown at the Bradford film festival 2012 and now April 2013 on the widescreen week end :)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
the cinerama documentaries cannot be restored due to they original negatives being passed their use by date..The new digital versions are not restorations.They are better than nothing but they are no match for the thrill of seeing all the Cinerama films on a proper cinerama screen and with film projection. Those were the days,sadly never to return.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
cinerama10 said:
the cinerama documentaries cannot be restored due to they original negatives being passed their use by date..The new digital versions are not restorations.They are better than nothing but they are no match for the thrill of seeing all the Cinerama films on a proper cinerama screen and with film projection. Those were the days,sadly never to return.
From what I have heard and read, many of the original Cinerama films could be restored, even creating new 3-strip prints, if the funds were available. Some parts would be compromised of course. I am guessing that This is Cinerama, South Seas Adventure, and Cinerama Holiday could all be fine. (This Is Cinerama was reprinted only a decade ago from the original negatives. Brothers Grimm apparently has suffered some water damage. However, recent reports were that this could be repaired, again it is a question of the money. I am less certain about Seven Wonders of the World. Some of the negatives were apparently messed up. The digital print displayed at the Dome last fall still had a lot of work to do. But, $$$ could probably help. The Cinerama company elected to use their limited funds to do fully digital restorations, and the results are spectacular, considering the limitations. Many people at the Dome last fall were amazed at the quality we were seeing for very little money. Perhaps someone knowledgeable like Robert Harris or David Strohmaier would care to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks