What's new

Smashing Pumpkins "Zeitgeist" 7/10 (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Anyone interested in this one? I, er, obtained a copy of this a few days ago...it's not on par with Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie, but it's pretty good. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. I just wish Mr. Corgan would get out of that "all that I wanna hear is midrange-y guitar tones" phase. The way some of his stuff is mixed sounds like one big, distorted mess.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Yeah I got this too. its alright. is it me or are the vocals very loud, they drown out the rest of the stuff. I wish he would write more stuff like Soma, Mayonaise and Hummer.

Ron, I have a TON of pumpkins stuff. if interested, pm me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
No James or Darcy, why even call it Smashing Pumpkins?

I have liked what little Ive heard (I was one of the few who liked Zwan), and Im glad that the industrial techno whatever stuff seems to be gone.

Ill pick it up this week.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I am actually a fan of Adore and Machina. Machina II stuff wasnt that great but the song "Dross" from Machina II kicks ass. Zwan stuff and Billy's solo cd Im not impressed with. I have to admit I wish James Iha would come back. A Perfect Circle is on hiatus I think. maybe the boredom will get to him.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Corgan pretty much is the band. Only a handful of songs had any input from Iha, not to mention that Siamese Dream is essentially all BC and Jimmy Chamberlin. I still wish James and D'arcy were there though; it was weird seeing other people on stage in their place last week.

As for Zeitgeist, I really enjoy it, but, then again, I'm one of the few people on the planet who considers Adore (which is neither industrial nor techno) the best Pumpkins album. I really liked Zwan, too, and I didn't think The Future Embrace was the worst thing in the world, either.

Major Pumpkins Fanboy,

Brett

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I doubt it...he's staying pretty busy with his record label (with one of the guys from Fountains of Wayne I believe) and producing duties. I think he just produced America's recent comeback CD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, in terms of creative input, but there comes a point when you have to wonder what makes a band a band? I mean, Corgan's the only constant in SP over the years - Chamberlin, D'Arcy and Iha have all come and gone. Now it's just BC and JC - how is that different than Zwan?

Anyway, I don't have the new album yet, but I saw SP last night at the 9:30 in DC. Up and down show, partially because I don't know the new stuff and it dominated. Oh, they still did plenty of old tracks, but I didn't recognize more than I did.

LONG, LONG show - it became a real endurance test, to be honest. I mean, I admire the fact that Billy gives fans good value for their money, and I think a three-hour show for $30 qualifies. However, it became very self-indulgent at times, and the club was only about 1/2-full by the end. (Or maybe 2/3rds - hard to tell, but a lot of folks had definitely left.)

Anyway, I hope when SP come to town again, it's someplace with SEATS. After standing in one spot for four hours, I hurt! :frowning:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Oh, I agree that, without James and D'arcy, something is definately missing. I was just backing up the point that it's pretty much always been Billy's thing in terms of creativity. I think he just has a comfort level with using the SP name or something. Like I said, it's weird seeing someone else in place of D'arcy and James.

Colin, the show you went to sounded like the one I attended last week at the Orange Peel. The setlists were similar, too, except I was already somewhat familiar with the new stuff because I had been listening to concert recordings. My feet were killing me by the end, too, but the place was still jam-packed and we were begging for even more after 3+ hours. There is going to be a fall tour, so I'm hoping for some seated venues as well. The hardest part was standing there for two hours before the concert even started. With seats, that wouldn't be a problem.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Now it's just BC and JC - how is that different than Zwan?"

Yea that was pretty much my point.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Comments from the Washington Post echoed my own thoughts:

"A truly excruciating 20-minute unreleased jam called "Gossamer," which for some reason was saved for the second encore and sent a good third of the audience scurrying for the exits."

That nails it. "Gossamer" was really, really painful. During the interminable keyboard solo, a woman behind me said "this is like being in church, but not in a good way"...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know? Best Buy's version has an extra track, and so does Target (or CC, can't remember which), is it the same track?

BB's is Death from Above (I think; I got it today at lunch).

Miller Time

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis

Target's extra track is the title track "Zeitgeist". This is a number with just Billy's voice and acoustic guitar. A much better song than DFA in my opinion.
Also, the itunes exclusive is "Stellar" a more atmospheric, spacey song, unsurprisingly. Also better than DFA, but I guess it depends on what type of stuff you like out of your Pumpkins.
Either way, I wish I had gotten the Target version instead of the Best Buy.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Well in australia, besides the poor quality of iTunes, we get the basic version. no nice packaging ala the special edition, no bonus tracks on CD.

im downloading a lossless version now to tide me over until my special edition from amazon arrives, and even then i'm keeping hold of the two lossless bonus tracks i've procured. and this is coming from a huge pumpkins fan who was nearly tempted not to buy it at all because of all the bonus track bullshit, but the book version is too nice to pass up.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
For a specialty disc like this, the price might actually go up. :) But your point is well taken.

I'm listening to the disc now. I like it more than I thought I would, to be honest.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I've been listening to it w/ one ear bud all day today in the background while I talk to customers. It's ok, so far I like "Bleeding the Orchid", it reminds me of another SP song, but I cant think of it right now. something off of MCIS though.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

It really pisses me off when they do this. I'd rather they give you access to a website where you can hear all the possible bonus tracks and then choose the one you like rather then have no idea and get whatever one comes with the retailer you bought it at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks