Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day DVDs. Reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Woods, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Mike Woods

Mike Woods Agent

Hi.

Anyone picked up either of these discs yet. I'm still waiting for mine over this side of the pond, so I'd appreciate any comments on A/V quailty and the like. Any body seen any reviews up at other sites?

Cheers,

Mike

2. Eddie W.

Eddie W. Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the Green Day disc a few days ago. Seems it's a little difficult to find for some reason. At any rate, the picture & sound are good but nothing special. About as good as you'd get off a decent satellite signal. 2.0 Audio only...no remixes. No extras...the default automatically plays all the clips in order, but by selecting the DVD menu button, you can select them separately and they are grouped by the CD they appeared on. One thing I was a little disappointed in is that the clips run just as they did on MTV, with the curse words removed. Would have been nice if they could have provided the complete uncensored versions of the songs. But overall it's a nice collection to own.

3. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up the SP disc today after a bit of searching (Best Buy didn't have it, and I ended up finding it at Borders).
    I am very pleased with it. I didn't know that it would have the alternate angle, and comentary track. The commentary was fantastic and very informative (unlike the boring one ond the Beastie Boys set).
    The video quality isn't perfect. The quality varies greatly with the videos as some are supposed to be grainy to begin with.
    I haven't played it on a good system to hear how good the audio is.
    In the end, 21 videos. Almost all of them have comentaries, most have an alternate video track. All this for $15. This is a must buy for any Smashing Pumpkins fan.
    Oooh, I forgot to mention, for those with a DVD-ROM drive there is a 600 dpi image there so you can make your own t-shirt. [​IMG]

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'll have to check out the SP disc. Sounds like it could be a good one.

Jon

5. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Agent

I picked up the SP as well..but I have a question. How do you access the "Untitled" video? I couldn't find it on the disc anywhere....however it is listed on the package.

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Highlight "extras" and press left.

7. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

I went to Best Buy looking for the Smashing Pumkins DVD but they didn't have it and told me that the release date had been pushed back to 12/11! Is this true? I don't have a Borders near me so I can't check there. Has anyone seen this released elsewhere?

8. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Agent

I bought it yesterday at Media Play.

9. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, I got the same message from Best Buy. Of course I didn't believe them, and found SP at Tower today.

I can't believe that the Green Day videos are edited, I may have to return my copy now that I know. I find that incredibly annoying! The CD also has about half a dozen extra tracks.

10. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Damnit. I just bought the Green Day disc and put it in the player to find out it was edited. Guess I should have ran a search here first. Time to return it to the store. Maybe I'll check out the SP disc.

11. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

The SP disc is pretty excellent. You get a video from their last concert, plus the unreleased Untitled video. The commentaries are all great, and it's especially fun to listen to the commentary while watching the outtake/making of footage after viewing the video. I really couldn't ask for more. I can't wait for the release of the entire last concert at the Metro in 2002!

12. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

13. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I can't believe all you guys are returning your Green Day discs. I received it for Christmas and absolutley love it! The videos appear the way we've all seen them on TV(unless your in Europe.) in edited form. The subtitles however are completley uncut except for "shit" in Walking Contradiction. Also, the middle fingers in the videos are not mosaiced out like they were on TV. Video for the later songs is exceptional and since it is only a hour's worth of stuff the bitrate on the video almost stays exclusivley on the 10MBps mark. Music also sounds good as it is 256Kbps stereo. Though I wish it was PCM like the Pearl Jam disc. The Music Videos themselves warrant a purchase and I recommend the disc to anyone who enjoys GD's sound and visuals.

The Pumpkin's disc on the other hand blows GD's out of the water content wise. Commentarys, outtakes, visual ducumentarys, and the best video/song of all time (Thirty-three) make for an impressive package. The bitrate hangs in the 6MBps area and unlike the 256 audio of Green Day, songs are recorded at 224KBps. The only downside to the disc is the EXTREMLEY graphic video to "Try,Try,Try". I simply cannot watch the video anymore without the urge to vomit. Maybe some of you have stronger stomachs than me, hopefully.

EDIT: The fact that they left off subtitles made me mad. Bad move. Any music disc should be required to list the lyrics in my opinion.

14. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Well guys...to my suprise I went to BB today to buy the Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion I and II, but they had the Smashing Pumpkins DVD in stock this time. I was 90% sure I was gonna pick it up, and when I saw it priced for $14.99 I had to. What a packed, feature full DVD for the price, compared to Green Day's extraless $20 disc.

15. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I was floored by the 14.99 price on the Pumpkins's disc when I bought it. Somebody has got to be taking a hit on that.

16. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

17. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I don't blame you for not liking Pumpkins pre-Dream. I do not like Gish and never have liked Gish. There is a reason they became popular after Siamese Dream, it was good music. Unless they played stuff from the unreleased Dream album, you and that crowd had every right not to enjoy them. If they did play stuff from Dream, I'm afraid they were correct in dissing you Oakies. [​IMG] j/k

18. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

There are a couple of good Gish songs, Snail being one of them.

Anyway, I'm not entirely surprised by the Pumpkins low price. The band has been setting a precedent of generosity for some time now, with the 100% charity tour for Adore, the completely free internet album MACHINA II, the double-disc Greatest Hits priced as a single (which Counting Crows also did with their live album), and now the DVD. It's too bad the Pumpkins broke up, but they will be releasing stuff for a long time, and I hear that Zwan is going to be similar (but I haven't actually heard their stuff yet).

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

20. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator