What's new

Smart TV Streaming UltraViolet in Canada alternatives? (1 Viewer)

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Hi All

So here in Canada our ability to stream UV titles on Smart TV’s has become next to nonexistent.

Apparently CinemaNow has shut their doors for Canada, Flixster closed up shop on Smart TV’s in Canada a while ago and VUDU is not valuable unless you resort to a VPN alternative.

The whole situation has become rather frustrating, especially with CinemaNow not responding to questions except for a canned response of:
“Thanks for reaching out and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding. We do not have an ETA as to when this issue will be resolved but our engineers are working tirelessly on getting it fix. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.”

Does anyone know a service that will work on Smart TV’s in Canada to stream our Ultraviolet collections?

Thanks!

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I have a US DNS setup through my router via GetFlix. Bought a lifetime sub for $39US. That's how I stream Vudu via roku when I need to view a UV title.
UV is so overdue for an overhaul. I can't wait for Movies Anywhere.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
I have a US DNS setup through my router via GetFlix. Bought a lifetime sub for $39US. That's how I stream Vudu via roku when I need to view a UV title.
Thanks for the reply Ryan. I too have Getflix and am able to access VUDU through my OPPO and PS3.
Still have issues getting it set up on my Roku however.

What is Movies Anywhere? New service?
take care
Chris

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Nothing's been announced but it's rumoured to be a service that will finally unite Vudu, iTunes, and Amazon the way UV should have.

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby

I have Nordvpn , however I am unable to redeem any codes which started around 2 months ago at flixster, when they were still there, some strange dual login issue they never fixed, of which now they are gone. I signed up for vudu and linked myuv acct , and my movies appeared, but when I try to redeem the codes at VUDU it keeps saying that my uv codes are not in the correct region.

How or where do I redeem uv codes from movies bought in canada ?

Also for me to watch the titles on my roku , my roku thinks it is a canadian roku. So i have no idea how to get vudu onto my canadian roku.

Last edited:

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
Movies Anywhere news. This is only available in USA. Even if I set my VPN to USA , I have not been able to load
Vudu onto my Canadian version Roku (roku premier plus). and I see nothing on roku to add Movies Anywhere.

Not sure if anyone can shed light on whether this will work in Canada and how you do it. I'm sort of
afraid to link a vudu account to this because if it transfers everything I would not have any access to it.

I wish they would realize we have already purchased our titles but would like to watch them, we
are not trying to steal anything.

https://moviesanywhere.com/welcome
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/movies-anywhere-everything-you-need-to-know-faq/
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/movies-anywhere-launches-with-joint-studio-backing-1202587915/

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Movies Anywhere is not an app you would find on Roku. It's a digital storage locker. Once you redeem a movie on Movies Anywhere (via your PC or mobile device with a US IP address), it should flow through to iTunes, Amazon.com and Vudu.

I'm not Canadian, but presumably if your Vudu sees a US IP address, the Movies Anywhere titles should flow through. I do think you're smart to hold off until other Canadians chime in with their experiences, though.

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
Thanks for you info.
I was able to get a vudu account, and see all my UV titles there, however I am unable to get Vudu on my Canadian Roku Device.
I have tried adding via my.roku.com with the US IP but it just seems to know that this device is canadian and does not let me add it.
So I have no way to watch movies, unless I sit over here at the computer screen , since they closed Cinemanow in the summer.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Thanks for you info.
I was able to get a vudu account, and see all my UV titles there, however I am unable to get Vudu on my Canadian Roku Device.
I have tried adding via my.roku.com with the US IP but it just seems to know that this device is canadian and does not let me add it.
So I have no way to watch movies, unless I sit over here at the computer screen , since they closed Cinemanow in the summer.
Hi Ruby,
I posted this in the other thread but I just wanted to make sure you saw it as I think it might help you out.

"From here in Canada what I was able to do was connect my UV collection to VUDU (via VPN) and my US iTunes account to Movies Anywhere, then once my collections had synchronized between the two platforms I set up a Canadian Google Play account, connected that to Movies Anywhere and surprisingly enough my VUDU and iTunes accounts synchronized with Google Play and I am able to watch my collection on my Roku via Google Play without needing to have a VPN activated.
it really worked out well.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions."

QuickThumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi Ruby,
I posted this in the other thread but I just wanted to make sure you saw it as I think it might help you out.

"From here in Canada what I was able to do was connect my UV collection to VUDU (via VPN) and my US iTunes account to Movies Anywhere, then once my collections had synchronized between the two platforms I set up a Canadian Google Play account, connected that to Movies Anywhere and surprisingly enough my VUDU and iTunes accounts synchronized with Google Play and I am able to watch my collection on my Roku via Google Play without needing to have a VPN activated.
it really worked out well.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions."

I just tried to do this, (from Canada), and MoviesAnywhere gave me a message saying I cannot create an account through a VPN. Too bad, I have several movies I've purchased and have no way to watch.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
I just tried to do this, (from Canada), and MoviesAnywhere gave me a message saying I cannot create an account through a VPN. Too bad, I have several movies I've purchased and have no way to watch.

Hi Steve, I originally used Getflix for my VPN when I set up MoviesAnywhere from Canada, it set up smoothly.

take care
Chris

QuickThumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I tried Tunnel Bear but still got message saying I couldn't register Movies Anywhere account through a vpn or proxy. I think the best thing for me to do is set it up next time I'm in the states which luckily won't be too long from now. Thanks for your tips guys.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is why my internet streaming has only been limited to the very occasional use of Netflix. Why go through the complicated insanity when you just have to insert a disc?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is why my internet streaming has only been limited to the very occasional use of Netflix. Why go through the complicated insanity when you just have to insert a disc?
At $20-30 per shot. If it's a favourite that gets watched repeatedly, that's fine, but if it's something you're only going to watch once and forget about, it gets very expensive very quickly.

QuickThumb

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I do buy a lot of discs still, but digital copies of titles I've paid full price for I refuse to buy again as a matter of principle. The problem is that I and many other Canadians bought digital copies of movies from CinemaNow, a service originally run by BestBuy which we assumed would let us access our digital movies for life. Sadly, BestBuy sold the short lived service after which it was soon dismantled with no explanation or remuneration to the customers. Most movies sold by CinemaNow got added to your ultra-violet library, but in Canada, the options for watching ultraviolet copies are extremely limited to mobile devices and pc's and not all my movies are available for streaming; Chromecasting isn't even an option. It is terrible that BestBuy, and/or the government, and/or the movie industry, would allow customers who paid full price to own movies be screwed over like this. I only bought a small number of titles and I am greatly irritated; I can only imagine what people who spent $1000 or more must be feeling. I can only hope there will be a better service for watching ultraviolet movies in Canada in the future.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The only titles I've "bought" are through iTunes, which I don't imagine will go away anytime soon. I mostly use it for rentals, but have either redeemed codes that came with a disc, or purchased titles which were priced the same as a rental - so even if they do disappear, I won't feel that I've lost too much.

Berks

Auditioning
Real Name
Berkeley Scott
Hiya! Might someone explain how you are accessing VUDU via a PS3 in Canada? I am using Unlocator and changing my DNS has allowed me to download the VUDU app, however, on opening it has figured out I am in Canada. Same goes for Sony Vue. Seems maybe my IP has a Canadian Association? Using Telus here in British Columbia and not sure I can properly alter the DNS at the router...I have altered my Apple sub-routers that are in bridge mode in hopes that might work and moved from an ethernet cable on the PS3 to a wireless connection. I can’ t figure out any other way to rent 3D content! Help!

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Hiya! Might someone explain how you are accessing VUDU via a PS3 in Canada? I am using Unlocator and changing my DNS has allowed me to download the VUDU app, however, on opening it has figured out I am in Canada. Same goes for Sony Vue. Seems maybe my IP has a Canadian Association? Using Telus here in British Columbia and not sure I can properly alter the DNS at the router...I have altered my Apple sub-routers that are in bridge mode in hopes that might work and moved from an ethernet cable on the PS3 to a wireless connection. I can’ t figure out any other way to rent 3D content! Help!

Hi Berkeley,
I know what you mean, I have lost VUDU connectivity on my PS3 and my PS4 here in Canada.
My VPN service support said VUDU is cracking down on VPN users and disabling some access, Play stations being one of them. So, currently I can only access my VUDU on my Apple TV 4K and my Oppo Blu Ray player.

Boy I really hope Canada gets access to the on line digital services soon. Rather vexing.

Take care, Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks