Smallville/Superman movie question (not season 5 related)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Sep 14, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just wondering if WB would allow Smallville develop into a Superman tv series even with a Superman movie? Has their ever been two versions of any character appearing in a movie and on tv at the same time?

2. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I doubt the WB would do this, or at least with the current producers. I know Tollin/Robbins and crew have stated, No Flight, No Tights, they want to keep it like that, though Clark has flown.
    I think the WB would be under the assumption that it would "confuse the viewers" one might take away from the other. Or whatever else the suits over there have in their twisted little minds.

I think it could work, but the movie would have to be somewhat different than what it appears to be turning into. But then again I think they'd have to change the name of the show, Smallville implys just that, Smallville and it's related people. Metropolis does play a factor (somehow, I don't like that it's also in Kansas) but it's more about Smallville, so the show would have to become "Superman" or "Metropolis" or something like that.

As for if that's happened. I don't know. Not in recent memory I think.

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Superman multi-media overlap:

* Radio show, 1940-1951
    * Theatrical cartoons (Fleischer), 1941-1943
    * Theatrical serials (Kirk Alyn), 1948 & 1950
    * Theatrical feature (George Reeves), 1951
    * TV series (George Reeves), 1951-1957

NOTE: The radio show, TV series, and comic books would often tell the same stories.

* Broadway musical, 1966
    * TV cartoon, 1966

* Super Friends, TV cartoon, 1973-1985
    * Theatrical features (Christopher Reeve), 1978-1987

* Lois and Clark, TV series, 1993-1997
    * Superman: The Animated Series, 1996-2000

Superman will probably still be appearing in JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED (as well as SMALLVILLE) when the next film comes out.

It looks like the SUPERBOY TV series (1988-1992) narrowly missed overlapping with any other version of the character (besides the comics, of course).

Also, Batman's animated series overlapped with the Burton/Schumacher films.

4. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Spinoff Series...

METROPOLIS

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm still wondering how Smallville will handle Clark actually becoming Superman, I know that the upcoming season will have him almost there, and i'm hoping that it will end with a shot of Clark (not in the suit) taking off into the distance towards Metropolis, I would like to see that as the very last shot of the series before fading to black. [​IMG]

I'm also up for a spin-off, big time, I love Smallville, but Tom Welling has said that he has no interest in wearing the suit, I still don't understand why, though.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have heard that isn't true anymore or never was.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    If true, perhaps he doesn't want to be typecast the way Christopher Reeve was?

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Todd,
    great, I would love to be proven wrong on that, but if it is true, there are worse things to be known for in your career, playing Superman should be embraced.

Besides, Welling is already known primarily for playing Clark Kent, why not go that extra mile and put on the suit? BTW, I never typecasted Christopher Reeve, he was very good as an actor.

9. nickGreenwood

If they follow the comics, which they are and are't. Clark has about 5 to 7 more years before he becomes Superman. Clark travels the world, saves some people, Martha, well she makes a scrap book of his "mysterious saves". He does college somewhere in here and graduates and after he travels the world he moves to Metropolis and saves the experimental plane, goes home gets the suit, while he's in Metropolis he applies for a job at the Daily Planet. I did that really non-linear sorry people.

Tom was in the running for a while to be Superman on the big screen when the concept came up of doing a Smallville to Superman movie using the same cast. Even after that idea went out the window he was still keen on doing it if they wanted him too... if I remember correctly.

10. Rob Gardiner

Nick,

The history you describe is the John Byrne version from 1986, which I love dearly. However, not even the recent comics have adhered to that version, so I wouldn't necessarily expect the films or TV shows to do so. I've recently begun collecting comics after an absence of eight years, but it is my understanding that a 2001 story by Mark Waid re-introduced many elements that John Byrne removed from the story (such as utopian Krypton, Jor-El's green suit, Krypto the Super Dog, Supergirl, etc.) and that last year's SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT presents the new, improved (meaning post-Byrne) origin of the Man of Steel. I haven't read Birthright yet (the paperback edition comes out in about 2 weeks!!) but I understand Superman's origin has been tweaked in order to include elements introduced in the SMALLVILLE TV series.

I expect the new movie will, like all other re-tellings of the Superman story (SMALLVILLE included), include some details from previous versions, as well as some new details, while remaining true to the core of the character.

11. nickGreenwood

Smallville seems to be jumping around a lot. Pre and Post Byrne/Crisis Superman. More so I think on the Post Crisis/Byrne comics.
    Without giving too much away, Birthright stuck with the basic premise that Byrne setup in 1986 with minor exceptions. The fact that it took Clark 5-7 years to become Superman is still very much a part of the mythology. It's the characters themselves that have changed.
    The only real element that resides from Smallville into Birthright wasn't even mentioned in Birthright and that's Chloe once Smallville is over, DC can start using the character in the regular series (apart from the Smallville comics). Other than that there is very little from Smallville to Birthright. Smallville has done a decent job thus far in keeping with the Post Byrne/Crisis stories, but they do jump around a little.

As for the new Superman movie, it's nearly a direct sequal (be it 27 years after) of Superman 2. Last I knew Bryan Singer was keeping that history and yes altering it a little, by allowing Lois to marry and such. But there was rumors that they were going to use old Marlon Brando footage as Jor-El in the movie. Who knows though.

In any case, what I've read so far about this year with James Marsters and the stories, it should be better. I do hope that they find some way to "spin" it off, though would it be a spin off if the show just progress's with the main characters?

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Superman:Birthright did take one thing Smallville changed in Supes lore. Lex did come to Smallville and became friendly with Clark. Although, the comic version they were not as close and Lex was a little more anti-social.

Although, if you want to get technical. In the original Supes lore. Lex and Clark were friends. And it was Lex's attempt to cure Superboy of his vulnerability to Kryptonite that caused his hair to fall out.

13. Rob Gardiner

From a Birthright review on MediaSharX:

14. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Actually, in the ORIGINAL Supes lore, there was no Superboy. Superman came to earth and was found by a couple who turned him over to an orphange. He grew up and went to work for the Daily Star under editor-in-chief George Taylor.

Lex Luthor wasn't even supposed to be bald. An artist made a mistake and the editors decided that it looked better, so they kept the look.

Superboy was actually a continuity nightmare since a lot of his stories seemed to take place during the same time period as the Superman comics being published back then.

The fact is that Superman's origin and backstory have been changed over and over, maybe moreso than any other character. The only consistent idea is that Krypton exploded (I don't even know if Krypton was named in Action Comics #1), Supes (John Byrne goes apesh*t whenever someone calls him Supes) crashed on Earth, and went off to Metropolis. Anyone who complains about a particular iteration of Superman deviating from the material needs to look at the material.

15. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    As far as two timelines, Bryan Singer and Gough/Millar intend SMALLVILLE to be part of the movie mythos in subtle ways.

In the movie, Superman's absence (in order for him to RETURN) is explained that he leaves the planet to investigate if Krypton was totally destroyed or not. To get there he uses the Kryptonian ship that crash landed on Earth in last season's finale of SMALLVILLE.

We'll also notice similarites between the Fortress of Solitude in both movie and show.

I don't think that the universes are supposed to be exactly dependant on each other, but they are supposed to be slightly informed by each other.