What's new

Smallville Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not too hot of an episode. I wish the dialogue was better, especially the scenes between Clark and Chloe, and Clark and Zod just sounded really clunky.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was it me, or did Hawkman have a pounchy look to his midsection?

Overall, the 2-hour event was pretty decent, much more interesting than most of the standalone 1-hour episodes this season. Some of the writing was a bit clunky in introducing the members of the JSA, and the reparte between Hawkman and Green Arrow just misses the mark at time, but at least they tried to stoke the fires of antagonism in search of truth.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but the fan-boy in me still wanted to see the Golden Age Flash and Green Lantern in person, although at least they got their respective nods. I also kind of liked the repartee between Hawkman and Ollie... While I admit it seemed a bit forced, I'm assuming its based on their relationship in the comics. And hey, it was funny!

One thing nagged at me a bit... When, I think it was Hawkman, said that they basically tried to keep a low profile back in the day, I'm thinking... Yeah, right, in those outfits?!

Loved the teasing image from Doctor Fate of the Red Cape fluttering in the breeze. Man, I wish this show could just become Superman.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The cape was a replay from an earlier season. Same exact thing was shown when another kid touched him. Looked much better in hi def.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I didn't enjoy the episode very much. To me, there were large periods of time with a bunch of barely coherent images flashing on the screen, apparently in an attempt to induce seizure in the viewer. I also didn't enjoy seeing the JSA members being killed off like that. Everyone's "special" but superheroes are even more so. Once they're gone, they're gone. The only death that didn't really bother me was Fate, because the helmet remains and someone else will take over.

For some reason, I went into the episode thinking it would be about Clark getting the JLA together. Instead, we ended up with the same Clark and Green Arrow, with a measure of Martian Manhunter.

The Agent Tess Mercer revelation didn't do anything for me. The show has been off so long I couldn't remember if she hasn't been around much in recent episodes. Either way, I didn't miss her character.

Fate confirmed that Lex Luthor is alive, but how does the episode deal with it? They don't.

Fate: "Lex Luthor will be your nemesis"
Clark: "Lex is dead!"
Fate: "Man, it's late. I'm going to hit White Castles... anybody want anything?"

There were some good moments for me, though. I liked the conversation where Starchild is telling Chloe that maybe if their team didn't only get together when there's trouble, they'd get along better. I also liked Martian Manhunter getting his powers back, along with his line that there's a reason he's the last surviving person from Mars.

Overall, it wasn't anywhere near a special event for me. I've seen better Smallville episodes.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I would like to see a return of Stargirl and Hawkman at some point. Plus I was really happy to see Martian Manhunter getting his powers back in this episode. Where the heck are the rest of the JLA? Where is Impulse, Black Canary, etc?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is just spoiler spoiler spoiler fodder for the the preview feature. This is just spoiler spoiler spoiler fodder for the the preview feature.
This is just spoiler spoiler spoiler fodder for the the preview feature.
This is just spoiler spoiler spoiler fodder for the the preview feature.

I sort of groaned with the introduction of the Amanda Walker / Checkmate into the Smallville universe. I guess you have to make the show feel less insular, but never been a big fan of Suicide Squad or Checkmate for her inclusion to make this show all the more relevant as a show based on DC Comics characters. Not sure if I care that Tess has been a Checkmate agent all this time, either.

Hated Icicle, the character, his motivations, and the actor and the look of the character. Ugh.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Boy, I sure hope we come up with something where the preview feature at some point doesn't require mods to repeat sentences over and over and over to prevent a look-ahead ;)

I do agree on Icicle.. groan on that. In fact, a lot of this was kind of "blah" as far as I was concerned.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Overall, the 2-hour event was pretty decent, much more interesting than most of the standalone 1-hour episodes this season.
Ehhh to you. This season has been mostly great!

It was cool that Marty was wearing his traditional costume under his police officer duster. I wish there had been more heroes on both sides, but I guess budget said no. Some of the costumes looked pretty bad, but that's spandex for you. Every time Marvel trots out a guy in shiny Spider-Man spandex, it looks wrong. The original costume was sewn and the movie costume looks good--maybe it's spandex but has texture and darkness/lack of shininess that cuts down on the cheesiness. But, that's why execs usually are scared of costumes. Try making them out of something that doesn't look like a wrestling mat and maybe you'll feel differently.

Icicle was pretty bad. With the way he looked, I was thinking, "Just get Billy Corgan for the role and be done with it." Plus, after Batman and Robin, you can't have your ice villain saying things like, "Anyone up for ice cream?"

I guess Tess's involvement was a callback to when she was assembling a team, but it's been so long that I can barely remember.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Hmmm. What I did find interesting was that Fate said Chloe was going to follow his path. What does that mean? Will she die young? Will she become the next Dr. Fate? Interesting...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Eric F

Hmmm. What I did find interesting was that Fate said Chloe was going to follow his path. What does that mean? Will she die young? Will she become the next Dr. Fate? Interesting...
I took it to mean mentally. Before he put the helmet on he was a bit of a mental wreck - I assume from his time wearing the helmet and all that he's seen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
More Serinda Swan as Zatanna, please! The rest of the episode ripping off the Captain Marvel/Billy Batson angle, that was so-so.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked it. Pretty swift moving. A lot of times, it seems like they reach the conclusion of the A story and they keep piling on scenes and the end never gets here, but this one was over fast. I was going to mention that it wrecked any chance at a Captain Marvel story. I'm glad the sexy boots kiss didn't end with Lois walking in and setting back the relationship. The way that was handled was much better than it could have been.

I'm confused as to how Lois already has Project Natal. I don't know if it was planned, but it's funny that her Wonder Woman costume looked like it got the Superman Returns treatment/color scheme. I'm not sure I buy her as the type who would feel at home with a bunch of nerds at a comic convention. Why could they show the Stormtrooper costume here but not in Beck's Loser video? Probably a willingness to pay for the rights.

Looks like Chloe is going to fall for another superhero destined for another woman. Even with Zatanna and Wonder Lois, Chlo was looking teh sexay tonight.

And now I end my rambling.

Except to mention that it kind of sucks that Chloe's first flight with a hero was with this kid instead of Clark.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
All episode I was expecting this clash between Clark and SuperKid. Given the powers the kid had, that could have been interesting. He could even fly, whereas Clark still can't. Alas, the kid lost his powers without anything happening. Meh.

Why do I enjoy Clark's interactions with people like Zantanna and Alicia so much more than the official parings (Lana, and now Lois)? I wonder if it's the fact that there's a finite timeline for the interaction (1 episode) so they don't have to drag things out and make up obstacles.

Lois didn't feel at home with a bunch of nerds. If I remember correctly, she said as much in the episode. She was there for work.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No, she specifically said how much she enjoyed the people in their costumes, living out fantasies. I would think she would find them sad. She was clearly excited to be there.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
He could even fly, whereas Clark still can't.
I could have sworn it looked like Clark flew when he saved Chloe from falling and brought her back up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I took it to be a super leap too. Cuz we all know it would be the end of the world if Clark figured out how to fly.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm not even going to waste my energy typing how pissed, irritated and frustrated I am that he still can't fl....there I go again.

I thought for a split second that he did fly mostly because of the way it was shown, it looked like he did a smooth arc from going straight to going up.

Lois was yummy in that Stormtrooper outfit, sure it's not exactly the princess Leia slave girl outfit but for this SW fan it'll do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks