What's new

Smallville Season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Neil,
regarding Chloe freezing in the FOS, I liked that that happened because it shows that she is a human being who can't withstand those kinds of temperatures, also, if you'll notice, the blast of cold seemed to emit from the light that Clark was standing in, almost as if it were some sort of defense mechanism.

And don't forget, in Superman IV they also showed Lacey being carried into outer space by Nuclear Man and she had no trouble whatsoever breathing in space and didn't burn up in the atmosphere, either. :D I'm glad the show is being more realistic in regards to how frail we are. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg,
according to Alfred Gough, the Fortress will be seen a few times this season because Clark is pretty much done with the caves now. And, we'll get to see Clark, or probably Kal El, fly at least one more time this season...the opening credits close with a shot of him flying like a missle back to Earth from space, very cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what if.....

jor-el was'nt really jor-el.
what if he was someone else pretending to be jor-el?

ZOD

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Cool. And, welcome to "live" Smallville, my fellow formerly-only-DVDer. :D

I wonder if we'll see the Flash again this season, or maybe some other DC heroes. Now that the movie has happened, maybe the planned Bruce Wayne appearance can go ahead. Probably not, but. . . .

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

We're definitely getting Aquaman. Tom Welling mentioned lobbying for Bruce Wayne in a recent interview in Wizard.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks. I didn't really understand the first few posts of this thread, because I haven't been following anything outside of the show itself. I've been enjoying the show all along, but it sounds like things are really going to be paying off this year. I hope Gough is right and it goes seven years, and then hopefully Welling and Co. will want to roll over to "Metropolis," and it'll be a big-budget superfest. :D

Edit: I kind of sound like a nim, saying I didn't understand the first posts. What's so hard to understand about, "Here's a shot from the upcoming Aquaman appearance?" Heh. What I meant was, I kind of skimmed over the first posts to get to reaction posts after the episode had aired, and I didn't fully catch what was written about AM.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thanks! :)

And I hope your right and the show does go on for 7 seasons, however i'm still scared shitless that they moved it to Thursday night, people left and right said that they were bailing in favour of others shows in another thread. :frowning:

IMO, the ratings system for television needs to be rethought to conform to our moderen times, I mean this isn't the 50's anymore. The network's need to understand that with so many recording devices available to the consumer now via DVR, DVD recorders, HDD, and even the good ol' fashioned VCR, that a particular show isn't being abandoned simply because people don't have it tuned in when it's airing, they will record it and watch it later.

I don't know, maybe i'm talking out of my rear, I just thank goodness this show isn't on FOX, unlike them, the WB seems to understand when a show means something to it's dedicated fans and doesn't keep it's hair-trigger finger on the cancel button at all times like FOX does.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't watch too much series TV, but I did kind of hate to see John Doe cancelled. Hopefully, you're right about the WB. As far as I know, DVD sales are good, so they have to know it's got a nice following. I think they're still running 7th Heaven, though, and I'm sure it does alright but isn't setting records. I don't have access to the numbers they do, though, so who knows.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Advertisers want to know who's watching the shows "live" (thereby offering the advertisers the highest chance of their commercials being seen by the viewers), so they don't really care as much about the viewership of shows who timeshift the shows and skip the commercials. This is why we are stuck with the Nielsens for the foreseeable future. Most shows on networks serve to push product for the advertisers, not to provide "quality" TV entertainment to small niche fanbases.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Angel ran for five years. That's hardly an example of the network being ready to cancel at the drop of a hat.

Kind of surprised to see this enthusiasm for the new title sequence. I really liked the old one, showing with the locations what the people symbolized and contributed to Clark's development.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

I don't know if it's common knowledge around here but Neilsen's now include PVR devices in their books; started around the first of the year. They are basically counted the same as live viewing. The devices are not restricted to Tivo but include any Hard Disk or DVD recorder. VCR's are relegated to a second class status, mostly archiving, not live viewing. Of course they may or may not actually use the data collected.

I've been in the TV/VCR repair business for over 30 years and have noticed that the rise of satellite and digital cable (both require set-top-boxes) have dramatically altered timeshifting. It used to be that people couldn't figure out how to record around premium channels but had mastered analog (cable and OTA) timeshifting and archiving; now they are tied to a box and can't figure out how to use their VCR's for anything but recording what they are watching. "We" may have figured it out but the "Average Joe" is clueless. Plus, until the dual tuner devices started showing up, it required some technical ability.

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
I like the direction this episode put the season in. Hopefully we will see some longer story arcs and not so many one time only freak of the weeks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It's probably mainly the newness factor. It's like how it was exciting when DS9 changed their ts a bit when the Defiant came along. It wasn't a substantial improvement, but it was something new to look at.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
In regards to Clark and Lana, their whole time together has an undercurrent of futility about it because we all know that it isn't meant to be. The important distinction here is that THEY don't know what the future holds for them, we do, but they don't, so I can excuse them pursuing their relationship.

But having said that, I can't wait until the moment comes when Clark realizes that that sick feeling in his stomach whenever he's around Lois isn't from aggravation...it's love. :)

I also know where Clark is coming from about his powers being gone, we all have moments in our lives when we know that there isn't a damn thing that we can do about a given situation and so we try to see the glass half full, and that's all he was doing...his powers are gone, he can't get them back, life on the Kent farm goes on, beginning with the house.

And yes indeed, I too felt a wiff of fear for Lana when Lex found her on the road, very unsettling, and previously when he awoke in the cave and called out for Chloe "Chloe! Where'd ya' go, Chloe?" in a manner that indicated that he would harm her if he found her. In many ways, probably because the show has more time to do so, Lex's fall towards the darkness rivals even that of Anakin's in the Star Wars prequels!

Lastly, I was mistaken about that shot of Clark flying through space towards the Earth, it's not from season 5, but was actually from the first ep of season 4.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Well, there's a lot I'd like to see be said between the two. I'm sure some of it will be said over time, and some of it will happen off-camera. I mean, the summer after Sophomore year can now be explained. He could tell her she knew the secret at one point, under the influence of that cave parasite. And, I imagine Clark could tell her one reason he didn't trust her is that she's a journalist sitting on one of the biggest stories ever. He could also bring up the difficulties Pete had having to keep the secret. The whole thing is a dynamic I really look forward to seeing. I'm much more interested in seeing Chloe as Clark's confidant than I was Pete.

One thing I wish would be said is the fact that Alicia told him she would never reveal his secret, and then she went ahead and revealed it "for his own good." Chloe's a smart girl, and would figure out that he's basically saying, "If you promise it, promise it."

Also, for some reason, I don't think Clark will get into the reason he won't tell Lana. If he did, I think Chloe would scoff at the idea of Lana blaming Clark for her parents' death.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I thought Lana was in danger from Lex, and I felt even worse when he showed up at Chloe's bedside. They have handled his turn pretty well. As I said earlier in the thread, I went from hoping he'd reject his dark side to seeing him as a villain already.

Here's the bit about Golden Age Lana:

http://supermanica.info/wiki/index.php/Lana_Lang

Pretty cool site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks