Smallville, Season 4 query

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by HowardPaul, Jan 7, 2006.

1. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

We've mainly watched the show via DVDs. We watched the first 3 seasons over the past 2 months. This week we got season 4 and have watched 4 episodes.
    What I noted was more sex and nudity in those first 4 episodes than the entire preceding 3 seasons.
    Did the show get a new writer or new producers or what?
    I must confess that I do not like them making it more like other sex-filled teen shows.
    Thanks
    How

2. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

It wasn't new writers or producers so much as an attempt to switch directions. The third season is considerably darker than the first two, and the fourth season was an attempt to lighten the show up in a way. It balances out eventually.

3. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Just another way to ramp up the season with new viewers? Anything to keep up the ratings and continue its success is fine by me!

If you haven't gotten to episode 5, it's a really good one! Especially with what's coming out on DVD this week.

p.s. - you'll be seeing more skin throughout the season. Nothing too extravagent, I suppose. [​IMG]

4. HowardPaul

Thanks for the replies.
    No, I've not seen episode 5 yet. The point I'm making, what is troubling me is that for 3 years this was a show I felt comfortable letting my kids watch. But, the first 4 episodes of season 4 have dramatically increased the frank sexual/nudity content. It might jack up their ratings but, imo, it has really degraded the show significantly.
    I found the way they handled sex/nudity Seasons 1-3 far more tasteful and family friendly.
    In short, I'm really disappointed and also offended by this change in path.
    How

5. Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne Stunt Coordinator

The past couple of seasons definitely ramped up the sexual content, as well as some depictions of violence. I'm OK with it, as far as my wife and I watching it, but am concerned that it seems a bit much at times for a show so popular with teens. However, as the producers would likely say, that's what repsonsible parents (like you)are for--- to monitor and influence what their kids can watch. We never watch this show anymore until our little girl is in bed. It's too bad, though, that the show can't be shared with everyone in the family.

I guess we can be thankful that the most family-friendly Super-show, Adventures of Superman, is on DVD now.

6. HowardPaul

Thanks for your astute comments Randall.
    You've piqued my interest. Is Adventures of Superman really good? Does it withstand the test of time?
    Thanks
    How

7. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

the episode i watched last night on my dvr the one with an apperience from the man who eventually becomes aquaman)
    boy that bikini that lois was wearing was ever so skimpy (i even thought that there might be a slip)

8. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Season 4 was their senior year in High School and season 5 being their first year in college. Bound to see more sexually oriented themes.

There is always the classic Superman as suggested above, as well as SUPERMAN: The Animated Series. I don't recall Lois&Clark being that risque. If you have kids, you probably want to pre-screen the episodes of Smallville, as with any show/movie.

As far as Superhero shows goes, SMALLVILLE is freak'n great. Can't wait for season 5 to continue on later this week...

9. MattSav

MattSav Stunt Coordinator

I find these comments about Smallville season 4 interesting (and this is coming from an American). I guess it comes down to the whole Sex vs. Violence (which seems to fall squarely into an American vs. European) debate. Sometimes I am amazed that some parents will let children watch a show that can be very violent, yet then complain when elements of sex are introduced.

Take Smallville for instance. In the second episode of season 1, a boy obsessed/mutated by insects kills his own mother and mummifies the corpse. I would find that scene (violent murder) much more disturbing to show a younger child than, say, Clark getting it on with Lana (sexual in a romantic/angst-filled idealized teenager sense.)

10. Julio Diaz

Julio Diaz Stunt Coordinator

Independent of any concerns about the sexual content, I thought Season 4 was Smallville's weakest, and the only things that saved it for me were the always fantastic Alison Mack and the addition of the excellent Erica Durrance as Lois Lane. I despised Jensen Ackles' character almost from the start, and his whole storyline with Lana was atrocious. I was never happier to see a character depart. I'm also sick to death of the Clark/Lana "will they or won't they" crap and I'm glad they're now together and that's not an issue.

I seriously doubted whether I was going to buy season 4 as I didn't enjoy a lot of it when it aired, and I probably would have skipped it if it wasn't for the facts that a) it's getting much better this season so far and b) it was on sale for just under $25.

Edited to add spoiler coverage. Sorry, folks!

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    You might want to spoiler some of that, as it sounds like Howard is still in the middle of season 4 and may not want to know what happens at the end of 4 and the beginning of 5.

Sex vs. violence debate. This isn't the place for it, so I'm just going to say this and not debate it further. It's not that difficult to raise a non-violent child. You lead by example and teach them when violence is appropriate and when it is not. The violence of a bugman mummyfying his mother? That's not appropriate. Clark Kent using his powers to stop the bugman? That is. You instill these values in a child and if you do it right, a little cartoon violence on TV isn't going to tempt them to do it themselves. Of course, I don't advocate showing your child something like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre--not because he will take up a chainsaw and make a mask out of human flesh, but because it is frightening and disturbing for a child.

Sex, on the other hand, is something we want for our children *eventually*. Like, if you're a father and you have a daughter, you want it for her when she's married and about 45-years-old. [​IMG] We just don't want it for them *now*. And seeing sex on TV is more likely, in my opinion, to cause a child to want to act than violence. Speaking from my own experience here. I didn't know anything about sex when I was seven years old, but then I saw Bizarre on Showtime. Suddenly, I knew why girls were different and why that was a very good thing. And then, I went out and knocked up six girls in the neighborhood. Okay, that last part isn't true.

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I've never thought that the sexual aspects of Smallville was too much. It seems rather mild to me. How old is the original poster?
    Nudity? I dont recall any except maybe Clarks butt as he was running into the water but it was pretty far away. If someone is worried about that I dont know what to tell them.

13. HowardPaul

This is not about my age.
    Greg's post underscores where I am coming from. I've got teen daughters and feel exactly as he does. Greg, you hit the nail on the head for those of us who have daughters!
    I had no issues with the tasteful way the first 3 years handled sex. I'm just not happy with how the 4th season handles it.
    The scenes are now more graphic and more drawn out.
    I guess in that way I am 'old fashioned'. If one sees classic films from the 40's and 50's, the 'bedroom scenes' end with a fade-out as the couple kisses. Then came the next scene. Nowadays, we get the 10 minutes of sex in the bedroom, too. I'm not a prude but I honestly do not believe that the frank sexual content adds anything of substance to such films. That's just me and other people clearly differ in their views.
    Regarding the sex vs. violence issue and protecting kids from both. Again I agree with what Greg said, fully. And, btw, there have been some interesting psychological studies on how violence and sex impact teens. Of interest, most teens at some point numb their consciousness to violence realizing it is 'an act'. Not true of sex. Many teens get aroused by sex scenes and respond as if the sex is real, not just 'an act'. I just don't think it is wise to have my teens watch such shows. Again, my opinion. Others may differ and raise their kids differently.
    And, yes, Julio, best to spoiler what you said about Lana and Clark. I've seen none of season 5. That IS news to me.
    Best to all
    How

14. Lenny Rakes

Lenny Rakes Stunt Coordinator

Though I cannot answer for Randall, I think the series has stood the test of time, plus it is family safe and best of all it is teenage soap opera free.

15. Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne Stunt Coordinator

Re: Adventures of Superman... I'm half-way through Season One, and I'm loving it. It's not a complex show by any stretch, but it is fun to watch. Each episode, though straightforward, is like a film noir B-movie. Wonderful stuff. The first season avoided being campy or silly (although there is some gentle humor), and the show presented Superman AND Clark as being strong, tough, and unflinchingly moral. It's old-fashioned, but I like it very much. It's a show that inspired me as a child watching reruns in the 1970s, and it still inspires me. George Reeves made a classic Superman, the epitome of what the name implies; he played Superman as the MAN every kid would want to be when he grew up. His Superman is very different from that of Christopher Reeve, but both brought that sense of *decency* to the role. And, Phyllis Coates was the perfect Lois Lane--- beautiful, competitive, and the spitting image of Lois from the 1950s comic books.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Thanks, Howard. I don't have any kids myself, so I'm glad to see some of my theories actually make sense to someone who does. We agree about the general quality of classic Hollywood over what we have today, and it is for that reason that I am hopeful that you and your family would enjoy the Adventures of Superman. It might be worth a rental if you don't want to purchase outright.

17. HowardPaul

Thanks Greg.
    I've got Season 1 Disk 1 otw to me right now from Netflix. If I like it, I will definitely buy it! Another series I was told to try is Buffy........
    Best Regards
    Howard

18. MattSav

MattSav Stunt Coordinator

If you are concerned about the sexual aspects of Smallville, I would steer clear of Buffy - or at least don't let your daughters watch it. Sexuality is a big part of that series, especially in later seasons (although sex is a big plot point midway through season 2 as well.)

19. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Howard, I can't recommend Buffy highly enough but it definitely sounds like that is one you will want to watch without your daughters (at least preview it first). As Matt mentioned, the sexual content does increase in later seasons so don't assume that what you see in Seasons 1 & 2 are really indicative of that aspect.

20. HowardPaul

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I will watch it without the kids.
    Appreciate the comments
    How