What's new

Smallville Season 1 announced... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just finished the pilot episode from the canadian disc.
i would rate the audio/video as distinctly mediocre.
not one of the more impressive recent WB discs i've seen.

as for the show, i thought the pilot laid out the foundation for a really strong series.
in fact, its one of the best interpretations of a CB character i've seen.
it wasn't perfect, a lot of good material was glossed over (i guess to be further explored weekly, which is good for the series as a whole, but bad for the structure of the individual episode).
i've only caught the series sporadically, and it's depressing to see it reduced to the meteor freak of the week formula.

i agree that the heat vision episode was one of the better ones.
unfortunately, from what i've read, WB is insisting on stand alone episodes. i think this is a property that would excell with weekly continuity and seasonal arcs.
By seasonal Arcs i don't mean a "big Bad" ala Buffy.
to just ape another (but quality) series is lazy thinking.
i would go for where the strength of the series already is, the character dynamics ( and that doesn't mean obvious love triangles).
the evolution of an iconic characters value and support system, as well as the evolution of his prime antagonist.
the way they've set this up, leaves enormous potential for some mythic, moving, embellshing of the characters.
i hope the genarally clueless Corporate Lennys over at AOL/T-W don't creatively strangle this the way they have so many other properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks