What's new

Smallville Season 1 announced... (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Digital Bits reports today that Warner will release Smallville season 1 on 3/18.
Which is awesome news.
But what I'm wondering is that, like the recent Canada release, with the first two episodes, weren't they released in 16x9??
I highly doubt that Warner will be releasing these in 16x9 for region 1, but there's always hope.
Jason Whyte,
if your reading this...
Your off the hook on buying me the Canada release, since I want season sets:)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No oar, no sale. Smallville is clearly supposed to be seen 16:9, and I hope they'll deliver that. I'll purchase it if so.

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
Since Smallville is broadcast in 1.78:1 Letterbox on The WB, I think we can safely assume anamorphic DVDs.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just FYI, while this comes from reliable sources, this is in no way to be considered an official announcement. Have to wait for Warner Bros for that. ;-)

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
This may be kinda redundant, but chalk me up as another "no OAR, no sale."

Good to see so much great TV material hitting DVD so soon.

David

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
This is great news indeed (if true)!!

I know Smallville is currently broadcast in HDTV as 16:9, but Season 1 wasn't. I am very pleased with the Canadian disk's presentation.

I WILL buy Season 1 regardless. This show is absolutely wonderful. That said, Season 2 and beyond should DEFINITELY be anamorphic. This show deserves to be treated with class.

C

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'd believe thedigitalbits reporting "reliable sources" before I'd believe a random fansite, even such a spiffy one with interviews and such. For example, Buffy creator Joss Whedon told sites he had no idea when the sets were coming out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No oar, no sale. Smallville is clearly supposed to be seen 16:9, and I hope they'll deliver that.
Clearly? I have the Canadian release of the first two episodes and while the opened up wider framing doesn't hurt the composition, it doesn't add a heck of a lot either. It seems fairly subjunctive to me. I'm not sure that the OAR would really be 16x9, though... in these transitional years many shows are in the grey area on this. That said, I'll buy it either way.

Andrew D F

Stunt Coordinator
It broadcasts several shows in 16x9 letterbox on Standard Definition, but Smallville isn't one of them.
Hmmm. Must be a station-by-station thing. I watch Smallville in standard definition on either WPIX New York or KTLA Los Angeles and both stations broadcast it in 1.78:1 Letterbox.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Clearly? I have the Canadian release of the first two episodes and while the opened up wider framing doesn't hurt the composition, it doesn't add a heck of a lot either.
Is this one of those widescreen shows where there is just extraneous crap on the sides and all the action is bunched up in the center? Some shows look better in 4:3 when composed for both ratios in this manner.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that Smallville was rather cramped. I've always thought it looked this way at least.

Some shows look significantly better in 4:3 however.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that Smallville was rather cramped. I've always thought it looked this way at least.
No problem... you're certainly reserved the right to your opinion. I just didn't want people to get the idea that the creators had some grand vision for widescreen from the start and WB would be commiting a sacrilige by releasing 4x3. Some showrunners, (eg. Joss Whedon on Firefly), have made such pronouncements, where I would be dissappointed by a 4x3 release. I agree with you that it depends on the show. Smallville seems to be just another of the unfortuneately that must try to compose for two ratios.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Said:
Hmmm. Must be a station-by-station thing. I watch Smallville in standard definition on either WPIX New York or KTLA Los Angeles and both stations broadcast it in 1.78:1 Letterbox.
Andrew, I'm watching Smallville on WPIX New York right now and it's not widescreen. The opening is, but the show isn't.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks