What's new

Smallville S3 finale "Covenant" 5/19/2004 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After season 1 and during season 2, I had thought that Chloe would be the person who knew his secret, but died because she knew his secret, thus convincing Clark that if he were to make his presence known in the world, he'd have to assume a heroic identity and a secret identity which would shield him from being called upon 24/7 because of the burn-out factor, and also because Clark would learn that he can't be everywhere at once, and that he'd have to pick his battles/rescues for the most good (and that included the personal cost of the battles/rescues).

Chloe would be that pivotal person whose life was lost as Clark moved towards his destiny as Superman later.

Now? For all we know, Chloe suffers amnesia from the explosion, goes into witness protection for the time being, and has been convinced that she's really Lois Lane and the rest is history.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but most of those quotes are from 2004. And if DC has bought the character, Chloe has an alternate pre-destined path.

I don't mind fun speculation, but I never understand when it flies in the face of confirmed news.

If they do decide to go that route, it won't be anytime soon.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Amnesia? She'd be lucky to have any skin. Seriously, as violent as that explosion was, and considering how fast it went after she set foot in the place, I'd consider any writing that lets her survive that to be sloppy. Not that "Kal-El's Creek" hasn't had it's share of sloppy writing from time to time. ;)

Sure, you could say "They're probably LYING!!" but I don't know if just assuming they're lying (and knowledgeably lying to your fanbase isn't all that cool) is really strong enough to base a bunch of speculation on.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

That is a perspective thing. I have seen many show where they do something similar... something 'appears' to happen in a certain timeframe at the end of the cliffhanger episode, only to see that the sequence was actually a little bit longer in the resolution episode.

RG

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
The last episode could be a lesson from Jor-El: These events could have been preventable if Kal-El used his powers for good. This is what happens if Kal-El were not here. Now wake up, get out of your fetal position and do something! (or something like that)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
That is a perspective thing. I have seen many show where they do something similar... something 'appears' to happen in a certain timeframe at the end of the cliffhanger episode, only to see that the sequence was actually a little bit longer in the resolution episode.
>>>>

Heh, like in the first season of the new TMNT. THe explosion at the 2nd time around shop happend in thirty seconds on the cliff hanger ep, and in the resolution it happned in a bout 2 minutes time....

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

That's a "sloppy writing" thing. ;)

I know what you're saying, and seeing years upon years of it in television as I've grown up has made it real familiar, but I prefer my favorite shows to stay as cliche/chestnut free as possible. So I sincerely hope they don't go that route.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Crazy episode. So the Clark and Lex relationship is toast, Pete's moved away, Chloe's possibly dead, Lex has been poisoned but will probably live, Clark got taken by Jor-El, Lana's gone to Paris, and Lionel's in prison. A LOT happened in the last two episodes!

Does anyone know if the actors that played Lana and Pete are supposed to come back or are they gone forever (or until sweeps)?

The editing kinda confused me. I thought the big guy was gonna kill Lionel (figuring since he'd die anyway). The next shot was of Martha running out onto her porch shocked at something. Then cut away to a dark shot from a strange angle of Lionel's head. I actually thought for a second that Martha found Lionel's head wrapped in a black cloak on her porch! :D

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
I kinda thought earlier in the season, when Chloe first brought up using Lois Lane as a pen name, that she would eventually take over that identity. But now that I think about it, I don't think there is any way they can fake Chloe's death and make her become Lois. For that to happen, the real Lois Lane would have to die. I think the more likely option, as cliched as it would be, would be for the same actess that plays Chloe to also play Lois. It's already been confirmed that she is still on the show next season, and she has been seen sporting dark hair. I could be wrong though, I usually am.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I think Lex will chalk it up as 'anger' and 'jumping to conclusions', and Lex will forgive Clark.
i have a feeling after Clark is reborn, Jor-el will erase Clarks memory of most of what happened in the Covenant episode.

the thing with Lex being poisioned.
If Lionel did it, it wasn't meant to kill him.
We all know he doesn't die.

I think it's to just knock him out.

If you remember in the Part 2 of the first episode of Season3, Lex tells Dr. Bryce(x-wife), that if dad wanted to kill him, he would of MADE SURE it WAS done.

Or maybe somone else is trying to poision Lex.

I would love it if, Clark had his mind wipped(or some of it actually) and Chole came out with amneisa as Lois Lane.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I was applying logic, and to me the logic is that anything in an interview is not concrete. If it's on the show, we can take that for fact, but interviews don't set anything in stone. I'm sure at the time that Chirs Carter made his comment in an interview, that was what he meant--but later he changed his mind, or he was covering up his real intentions.

So, since I hate Lana, and love Chloe, and know that Lois is the real love of Clark's life, I'm keeping my hope alive. I'm keeping it alive man! ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also prefer to go by what's in the episodes, rather than go by some faraway pronouncement by the producers because plans can change at the drop of a hat.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Great finale. I am not a big contributor to the Smallville discussions, but has the possibility been discussed that Jor-El is in fact Braniac? Everything Jor-El does is computer-like. They digitized Clark at the end, Kara was "erased" and the whole cave seems like one giant computer. I don't know much about Brainiac from the comics, but wasn't he/it the sum of knowledge of Krypton? Then he turned into an evil sum of knowledge and...I don't know. Anyway, he is computer AI that got out of hand. Would make sense, I would think.

I am bracing for bad re-writing for explaining Chloe's survival...unless Lois Lane is her "twin" cousin and the actress is going to play her! :D

This is far out speculation, but what if Lionel really does BECOME Lex...meaning, Lex does die and the bald villain we all remember from the comics is in fact Lionel? I know, not a chance, but still...in the comics and (and cartoons?) wasn't Lex much older than Superman? I mean, not MUCH older but more than the few years that Lex and Clark are? Just a thought.

Phil

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have a commnet to make about the final episode.

Right before Clark answers the door, where the Fed Ex delivery guy is waiting, it looks like clark is really tired, or was affected by kryptonite.

What was up with that?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

I haven't seen it discussed, but I haven't caught all of the threads, either.

It does hit upon the same question that I have: Why is everyone so convinced that the 'voice' is really Jor-El? Everything the 'voice' has been involved with seems to be pretty out of character for what Jor-El is supposed to be.

Heck, I'm willing to buy that it is either Brainiac, or one of the Phantom Zone criminals.... I really don't think 'the voice' is really Jor-El.

RG

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The possibility of Brainiac has been brought up before, but it still hangs out there as one of the many scenarios that can play out. I've never ruled it out for the reasons you've stated.

My wife noticed that too. I wrote it off as a stressful sigh, but maybe there is more to it.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm shocked that nobody commented on the symbolism of the fetal position in the diamond, apeing the Superman symbol. I geeked out as much as I did on the episode with the kid who could see people's deaths (when he saw the cape) and the playing of the John Williams score in Rosetta.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I've mentioned the idea of the "Jor-El" character in Smallville in fact being The Eradicator.

For those of you who aren't "in the know", in a nutshell the Eradicator is a computerized/mechanical chracter from the comic book who, not unlike Brainiac, used Clark Kent for it's own purpose. In the case of the Eradicator, the motives were not actually evil - it's purpose was to preserve Kryptonian culture and identity, and it tried to convice Clark/Superman to give up on his "Human" identity, and embrace his Kryptonian heritage (including lording over the planet Earth). Ultimately this didn't happen, the two went up against each other, with Superman beating the Eradicator. Ironically, the Eradicator was in fact the ship used to transport Kal-el to Earth, and after it was beaten by Superman, the Eradicator played a pivotal role in the resurrection of Superman (after his death in the comic books).

Either the writers are drawing on the Eradicator for characterization tips for Jor-El, or there might be something interesting brewing for next season. :D

Moe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks