Smallville DVD release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gord Lacey, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the scoop, Gord! My friends have been raving about this show, but I've yet to see a single episode.
    It's nice to know I can skip it for now. I'd rather watch it on DVD anyway! [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Come on Gord. Not a "Way to go Warner" situation. They're putting out a 91 minute disc. [​IMG] They can't be testing the waters, this show is gonna sell, but what gives? Bring on the season one box set, just after the season ends. That'd be fantastic.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Interesting. This is set to hit region 2 followed by a first season box set release by the end of the year. I'd be happy if this is the case for R1. A few questionable episodes, but on the whole I've been very surprised and pleased with the quality fo the show.

Dan

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'll repeat here what I e-mailed to Gord about this:
    According to TVTome, the show premiered in the UK with a "feature-length pilot", which consisted of episode 1 ("Smallville") and episode 2 ("Metamorphosis") combined into one telefilm. Since each episode is an hour-long show with commercials, I expect that 91 minutes reflects the combined feature once the commercials are removed.
    This is pretty consistant with what WB has done with B5 and Batman Beyond DVDs. Therefore, I expect that the contents of the Smallville DVD will probably be what I described.
    I'm looking forward to seeing this. My wife's best friend is a nut for the show, and I won't mind seeing what gets her so excited. On the other hand, I'm pretty skeptical all along of the concept...it is, by all accounts, not in keeping with the classic Superman mythos. I am a BIG fan of the classic Superman mythos, and am afraid I won't have a very open mind about the deviations.
    Beyond that, Ma Kent should be a "motherly" figure. Annette O'Toole was a hot sexy thing to me all the time while I was growing up (Cat People, anyone?). So I find it hard to picture her as Ma Kent! [​IMG]
    Lana Lang, yes. Ma Kent...

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. Gord Lacey

Kyle,

The "Way to go Warner" comment was made for a few reasons:

1. They're releasing episodes of a show still in it's first season

2. They're releasing stuff in order

3. They're releasing live-action TV product that isn't Friends

Since Dan posted that the pilot "film" was broadcast at 1.78:1 in England, something on the release info makes more sense now. Under "Side A" they list "16X9FF DUAL LAYER" which should mean both 16x9 and Full Frame versions of the show. When I initially looked at it I thought it could have been an error like Columbia Tristar's "Animorphic Full Screen" they seem to put on many of their TV releases. I didn't want to give out any wrong information so I purposely left this off the info I posted.

Gord

8. Chris Dale

Chris Dale Auditioning

I don't mean to be difficult but www.supermanhomepage.com reports that their WB source says that there are no plans to release Smallville on Region 1 DVD this year.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

One thing to remember about the pilot. Their was two versions. When it first aired it ran 10 minutes longer. It ended at 10:10pm. I remember how a lot of people were pissed because they set their vcrs to tape 1 hour. But, when it reaired a few weeks later. It was only 1 hour long. It was cut down a few minutes. Also, it makes sense that they would include the second episode. It was almost a continuation of the pilot.

I really hope this is true and that more episodes will follow.

ps-Now where is Babylon 5.

10. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

The combined Pilot and Metamorphosis ran for about 86 minutes when it aired here on Channel 4. I hope that Warner will release the two episodes separately, and not try to pass them off as a "Movie" like Fox did with The X-Files.
    Let's hope, too, that the earlier version of the Pilot episode, which featured a different actress playing Martha Kent, will be included as an extra.
    Here in the UK the series has been airing in 1.78:1 anamorphic ratio. That is until last week (Nicodemus), which, for some reason aired 4:3. I suspect it's because we've now caught up with the US transmissions. Unusually, we're now getting a couple of re-runs before the season resumes in a few weeks' time. I know this is common practice in the US, but here US series usually run with new episodes each week (unless they're pre-empted for sport, etc.) from the start of the season until the end.

11. Gord Lacey

Chris,

I guess the contact that supermanhomepage.com has at Warner let this slip by. Haha....either that or Warner Home Video pulled a fast one by sending out phoney press information on April 1st.

Gord

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    This actually good/bad news I'd like a box season 1 set eventually not just the pilot. Plus this doe'snt bode well as to how Warner will treat TV Product, especially B% when and if it ever comes. I suppose if Smallville come out in Volumes of at least 4eps per disk it would be ok, but 2eps per disk ala Farscape is unacceptable anymore

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Too hope for WS but since it's shown 1.33 on WB i'm skeptical we'll get this

14. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

www.darkhorizons.com now has a picture of the sleeve up. Guess they're aiming this one at teenage girlies.

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I dunno Julian. When I was in LA last September you couldn't move for promotional billboards and what have you for Smallville, they all used that image. Seems to have been the general promo image in the US.

Dan

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

The Pros:

- Releasing a TV Product so quickly

- 5.1 Surround Sound

- Commentary

- Storyboard to Screen Feature

- Trailer

The Cons:

- Single episode (albeit longer-length) to a disc

- The remaining episodes of the season are missing in action

The Questions:

- Widescreen?

- Anamorphic?

-Is this a test for interest in new TV product?

I'd have to say it's likely 1.33 as this is the ratio on the Justice League disc.

I'd buy it in Widescreen if it were to encourage faster full season releases of television product.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

For those who don't wanna go looking for it:
    [​IMG]

18. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Are we sure they're aiming that cover at girls? [​IMG]

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Is this pilot disc going to R1 as well as R2. We all know that we won't see the complete season on R1 for years, but since this is only two episodes (in a different form) perhaps they can get around that restriction?

20. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

excellent