Smallville - anyone looking forward to it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As I watch the WB shows during the summer, I noticed that they've been showing teasers for "Smallville", a pre-Superboy Superboy show which focuses more on Clark Kent's maturation into Superboy/Superman since he's around 15 for this show. It appears to be a darker version than the previous Superboy shows.
    IIRC, this will be shown on Tuesday nights (probably after Gilmore Girls). I was bummed that Lana Lang doesn't have red hair in this show (at least it didn't appear to me that she did in the photo I saw). And that John "Dukes of Hazard" Schneider plays Pa Kent (who woulda thunk it?), and supposedly Annette O'Toole (Lana Lang from Superman III) is slated to place Ma Kent. The show will also feature a younger Lex Luthor (around age 21).
    Anyone else looking forward to this show?
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also hoping WB moves it out of that brutal timeslot - I figure on it being behind "24" and maybe "Roswell" on the depth chart.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No, "Dark Angel" moves to Fridays. I started a thread on the fall schedule here two months ago, and here's my "depth chart" for Tuesdays at 9pm:
    FOX - 24
    UPN - Roswell
    WB - Smallville
    ABC - Bob Patterson/Spin City
    NBC - Frasier/Scrubs
    CBS - The Guardian
    It's worth noting, though, that Fox is planning to give viewers a lot of chances to catch the first few episodes of "24" - supposedly, local affiliates will be encouraged to give it second runs, Fox may double-pump it like they did with "Action" (same episode, two slots), and also run it late-night on FX. So it's conceivable you can catch that one elsewhere.
    There's no good reason for "Roswell" and "Smallville" to be in the same slot, though. Why two shows about teenaged aliens with amazing powers at the same time?

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Well, many Roswell fans are taking to calling Smallville "Rosville", given several superficial similarities:
    • Dark-haired teen boy with powers as a main character
    • Boy has dark-haired girlfriend
    • Wacky blonde-haired sidekick (although she's Liz's friend in Roswell, Clark's in Smallville?)
    • Town is tourist attraction due to meteor/alien crash from years ago
    • Promotional photos and campaign
    My understanding is that both started development at about the same time, but Roswell got out of the gate first. But Smallville is getting the same kind of positive buzz as Roswell did before it came out, and The WB is treating it the same way. Hopefully that trend does not continue if the show is actually good but the ratings are not; Roswell was handled poorly. But then, Superman is a AOL-Time-Warner property, and the show is a Warner production, so they will be more likely to hang on to it; unlike Roswell (or Buffy), both Twentienth productions (although in Buffy's case, there's blame on both sides).
    I will try to watch Smallville (that's what VCRs are for), but the scheduling is odd. On the one hand, you might leave Angel at Tues/9pm, figuring the Buffy fans will switch over. But maybe you figure it will be up against the more action-oriented 24, and you want the show to stand up on its own, so you put it after 7th Heaven on Monday, which of course is about the least compatible lead-in they have. Maybe they actually want Angel to fail. Don't know if the automatic pickup deal that UPN has for Angel is in effect for the 2002-2003 season as it was a few months ago for the 2001 season.
    So you've got Gilmore Girls. Their ratings were just so-so, actually right behind Roswell (although Roswell had very few repeats, which kept its numbers up but damaged the show's continuity). But it's The WB's most acclaimed show, also produced by them. They're tyring to build a franchise -- having lost Buffy -- so they pair it with Smallville. In fact, they may be relishing the head-to-head matchup, hoping they come out on top to vindicate their decision to cancel Roswell.
    TV executives can be funny.
    //Ken

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

8. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

I have to admit while I will check it out I am dissapointed that they have decided to bring in a young Lex Luthor to the series.
    I mean c'mon, Sup'es and Lex did (do) not meet until he went to Metropolis when he was an adult. That has been stated both in comic, movie and TV already. Why change this?
    I'll admit I'm a former comic collector so I tend to hate most stories about superheroes pasts (save for the DD ones by Miller) becuase they tend to screw with existing story.
    IMO theres alot of bad guys in Superman books you could pull into smallville or even try a new one, but Lex is to major of a charater for the writers to explain how they simply forgot they have met before.
    I will not hold that against them however, I tend to watch a show first before I pass judgement.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Not true! The pre-crisis Superman knew and met Lex Luthor while still in his teen years. They lived in the same area (I think) or neighboring counties. The reason Lex hates Superman was because while Lex was concocting some wild formula, his lab caught fire, Superboy came to the rescue, but not before some chemical landed on Lex's head, causing his premature baldness, and for that, Lex became Superboy/man's sworn enemy.
    The various other incaranations of Lex Luthor in TV and film never bother with the earlier meetings between Supes and Lex that occured in the comics. They retconned it out of existence.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I will check this show out.
    I remember Lex from the Superboy comics, so it makes sense that he's in the show.
    Most of all I'd like to see a revival (or at least a DVD release!) of "Lois & Clark: The new adventures of Superman"... I loved that show!
    /Mike

12. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit