Smallville actress discusses Superman movie...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Mar 9, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

At the www.mediasharx.com site. A poster reported on what Allison Mack (Chloe of Smallville) said at a recent convention.

Here is what she said regarding the upcoming Supes movie:

She says that Tom Welling has definitely talked to the people at the Superman movie about starring in it - and she said "personally I think he's the one actor that could do that role justice - he is Superman!". She assured us that the superman film is still happening, because the film folks are talking to the tv folks about not treading on anyone's toes and vice versa. Someone said she should play Lois, and she said that'd be too weird and after all, they've already got Jessica Beal or Beyonce.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If the movie people are still using the script that made the rounds a while back, I'd say keep Tom Welling away from it. Let that mess happen, and let Smallville change its name to Metropolis a few years down the road. Then, it can follow the Star Trek pattern and Tom Welling can be the movie Superman once that show's run is over. Of course, does he want an endless career as Superman? [​IMG]

3. Timothy Childers

I could think of much worse Fates. [​IMG]

4. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Beyonce?!? Oh COME ON!! [​IMG]

There MUST be other candidates for the role. Why must they insist of casting someone who is as far removed from every incarnation of the Lois Lane character? I realize that Beyonce is a "big name" right now with the teenage/young adult crowd, but talk about doing an injustice to the character!

Moe.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You know, back when the old "new Superman movie" thread was created and they were throwing around actors like Nick Cage, etc. I thought Welling would be good for the part.

Now I haven't seen advance copies of the script so I don't know what kind of potential train wreck the new movie may turn out to be, but I think Welling would be a great choice for a good, new Supe movie.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My nephew is 10. He and his friends at school love "Smallville." Half of them refer to Clark as Supeman. He IS this generation's Superman.

They need to trash the script they're working with now--and wait for Gough and Millar to finish their series and take it the big screen. Period.

7. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I 100% agree with Chad. Gough and MIllar have the vision and the talent to keep this franchise alive and well for many years. Let them keep it. I like Tom Welling, but recasting him once the story leaves Smallville would not bother me much. As long as it was a Gough and Millar show.

And let Joss write everything.

Just kidding.

8. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I think the problem with the Superman movie comes down to too many cooks. Maybe the Superman movie would be better if they put it on the back burner and keep the current producers of said mvoie far far away from any future Superman movie. I would rather see a Superman movie done right and with the right people, or wait for a Superman movie with the Smallville cast and crew five years from now.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I too agree with Chad. And let's not forget the stellar performance of Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor. I'd love to see that make it to the big screen.

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I'd love for them to have the Smallville crew create the movie, go through the progression into the suit and flying and explain his split with Lex. Call it Metropolis, and I'd geek out. [​IMG]

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I have a hard time believing Warners is still going ahead with that idiotic script... Have they learned nothing from the success enjoyed by Spidey, the X-Men, and Daredevil? DON'T FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN!

Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum should be the stars of the eventual Superman film. But it'll never happen, because that would make sense.

"The world only makes sense when you force it to"
    --Batman (who's actually getting a cool movie next year) [​IMG]

12. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Well, I see Smallville as an "elseworlds" kind of story so to extend the storyline into he Superman mythos would destory established points, mainly, Clark's secret identity.

The golden age (of which much of Smallville is taken from) tells of the friendship between Superboy and Lex, but at that point, Superboy had his Clark Kent identity. In this version, I don't see how they can plausibly go the classic route of Superman without a total, "egad", re-imagining. Respect the source.

I would like to see Michael Rosenbaum in the new movie but all the other actors (except Lex's father, who wouldn't be in it anyway) are pretty lame and not of big screen quality.

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well what I think is such a good idea about Smallville segueing into Superman is they could do a really intense movie as they wouldn't have to waste any time with building his background or roots, (no need for an origin storyline).

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    The fact that they are getting people like Jessica Biel or any other young "popular for the moment" actress says a lot about the project.
    I want a mature Superman and Lois, not a dumbed down version to apeal to the kids under 20.

15. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I don't think they should WAIT for Millar and Gough to finish--I think they should make Millar and Gough wrap this thing up next season, and start them writing on a script as soon as possible.

Honestly, they can't stretch Smallville out too much longer. It's not built for it. 5 seasons tops. MAYBE six. But "Saved by the Cape: The College Years" is not going to work. When he leaves High School, he should leave Smallville. And when he leaves Smallville, that should be the end of the show.

Stop the show while it's at the top, lead it to the edge of the cliff, and then use the movie to show Clark going over the edge of that cliff--and flying back up. To use a tortured metaphor [​IMG]

Abrams script has to go. Peters as producer has to be stopped. McG cannot direct. Until those things happen, this movie will probably never really get off the ground. Nor should it.

16. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry, that one killed me. [​IMG]

17. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

I'm not confident, but I think Peters has been relieved of any day to day producing chores. So, that's at least one plus.

However, there's still that large negative of Abrams script looming over the project. The worst part is that its retreading VERY familiar territory. Not only is most audiences intimately familiar with Superman's origin, it has been retread very recently with the TV show.

If they're dead set on an origin story, than allowing Smallville to graduate to films is the best idea. The 'origin' could be fresh because all the Krypton stuff would be behind them and the interesting character play of Clark deciding to put on the cape could be showcased which is an element that hasn't been covered so well yet. Most incarnations, he just throws the cape on. But Smallville has built a reluctant hero scenario, and I think the hero that has to choose to be a hero is far more interesting. Especially if they avoid the now cliche, my father/father-figure died and I couldn't save him so I'm going to save others. They can make it more complex than that, and Smallville has already paved a road to do that.

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'll give props to Welling and Rosenbaum for their portrayls of the characters on the show, but for pete's sake-
    i crave a Superman movie where Superman is actually a man, not a glossy boy toy.

its like there are no men in the movies anymore- they're all Brad Pitt/Johnny Depp style boy-men.

I'd like to see Superman as a 45 yr old man, and Lois as a 35 yr old woman.
    even better make Wonder Woman a supporting character (not the focus of the film, or even the romantic focus of the film).

the scene in Kingdom Come where she visits him working on the 'farm' after he's chucked it all due a tragic event- the conversation they have...one of the most perfectly realized Superman passages i've ever seen.

think outside the 12-24 demographic box WB-

19. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

One thing we have to remember is that Christopher Reeve was only 24 when he started filming the first two of his four "Superman" films back in 1977, so having Tom Welling "grow" into the part as well for a future film version would only be natural. Ditto for Michael Rosenbaum, the best Lex Luthor to come down the pike in ages.

Then again, there is a sufficient argument for those who may not want "Smallville" to continue on into the films: "Lois and Clark" and "Superboy". Those series could have potentially carried on into a "Superman" feature film revival with either of their respective casts, but it would have wound up like the "Star Trek" films, TV episodes on the big screen.

The bottom line is having a solid, respectful script to the Superman legend, not anything slammed together and jazzed up with lots of visual effects, big name actors and classless no-talents, and no sight whatsoever of Jon Peters or even that hack McG (someone needs to hand him a Big Mac and an order of fries with his pink slip and send him on his way).

As for "Smallville" being a kind of "Elseworlds"-type story, wouldn't we consider it to be so for any interpretation of the Superman saga over the last 65+ years? Every incarnation has its own interpretation of the saga (comics, cartoons, the Kirk Alyn serials, the different television series, and the films), and no one media seems to negate the other in terms of specific continuity issues. As long as the core story is maintained and preserved, how each generation perceives Superman has to have a unique twist to it to begin with.

20. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I still don't think this film will be all that great. When it has this many industry "insiders" playing with it... that can't be a good sign.

Besides, Chris Reeves will always be Superman and Gene Hackman will always be Lex Luthor to me (MISS TESSMACHER!!!). Richard Donner and Mario Puzo did a great funny and compasionate epic and I doubt today's filmmakers (especially those doing crappy, angst filled teen TV shows) have what it takes to top it.

Peace!!

Dan