What's new

Smallville - 5/5/04 - Talisman (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Pretty good episode. Hard to follow up on the amazing episode from last week, but still good. I loved the imagery of the red blanket as he ran away flowing like a cape. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, two for two.

I don't get how the knife thing worked, though - it seemed more like magic than anything plausibly scientific.

Johnathan heals Clark; mysterious-er and mysterious-er...

It was nice to see them go back to the dueling heads imagery that hasn't been touched upon since Season 2. Also nice to see the old Kawatche man back.

The whole destiny theme is playing stronger and stonger; the series finally feels like it has momentum again. It's also been fascinating watching Lex and Clark lie to each other. The gradual evolution from friend to enemy is something I never really considered; but it makes more sense than one defining incident.

The preview for next week doesn't thrill me 'cause it's more Lana in Peril(TM). But the brief shots of the finale with Supergirl telling Clark she's here to take him home, and then the shot of their feet leaving the ground. Wow.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Also this is the TV Guide synopsis for next week:

Clark decides to tell Lana his secret so they can finally be together; an errant FBI agent (Gary Hudson) kidnaps and tortures Pete to try to force him to reveal Clark's secret.

VERY interesting!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's some spooky mojo that Jonathan was wielding on Clark.

Typical Lex thinking: as long as someone else holds the power they'll be a tyrant.

Lana, please just get on the plane and go to Paris.

I'm surprised Chloe hasn't joined Friends Anonymous with all the crap she's been dealing with recently.

The main subplot wasn't all that interesting, even with the short super-powered fight looked a bit on the cheap side.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Adam, If your spoiler is true. Then it sounds like WB may be working on a new series. IMO they haven't got this one right. So, I hope my gut feeling is wrong!

I liked last weeks show a lot.

This weeks show just drudged along. And the story line has all but run it course. I still think next year will be the last year of this series.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
And the ultimate kicker of this episode was that final dialogue between Lex and Clark. And the closing line had me jumping up and down, as Lex seals his fate by sheer perspective. The Lex character, and the actor who plays him, continues to impress me more and more.

Evan M

Second Unit
I paused and went frame by frame on the knife shot several times to see who touched it first.. it definitely looked like Lex. Although, it was very close.

I really enjoyed this episode over all... not as good as last week, but still a very good episode.

Sure was convenient that Clark had just knocked the indian dude (William?) a few hundred yards with a tree before Lex showed up, huh? :D

The scene at the end was great...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
For those who might want to know: (BIG SPOILERS)

According to www.kryptonsite.com Clark wants to tell Lana. Supposedly, Pete talks him out of it. Saying it is a hard burden to live with. But, Pete is leaving the show. And from what is being said she does learn his secret in the season finale. Which, would make sense since in the comics see knows his secret. That is what probably keeps her in Smallville. But, who knows.

ps-The girl in next weeks episode is smokin! :D

Evan M

Second Unit
Last thing I remember Lex saying was something like "Maybe the hero of the story is Sugee (sp?... the "bad guy" in the legend)"

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I thought this epsiode was fantastic, so much so that Lana didn't even bother me this week.

It hit on the two aspects of the show that make it interesting: Lex and Clark, and Clark and his parents.

The scene with Lex and Clark at the university where it's obvious Lex isn't buying Clark's bullshit anymore was great, but later when Lex gave his interpretation of the legend was perfect. That's exactly the lex Luthor I want to see develop--not an evil one for the sake of evil, but one who thinks he's doing right and is just too warped to know how wrong he is.

And Jonathon and Martha were able to give Clark good advice, and the scene where they sat on the floor all night with their son is why I love those characters. They're the single influence that makes Clark Superman.

They even found a way to put Chloe and Pete in the episode without putting them in danger, be interesting, and advance their characters--Pete telling Chloe he understands why Clark gets so upset when she digs into his life was a great moment for the both of them.

And the show didn't end with Lana and Clark in the barn.

Gough and Millar have hit two in a row out of the park.

Evan M

Second Unit
Yeah.. we got to end with Lex and Clark in the barn. Hehe.. how original. :p (Although it was a great scene.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The last word that Lex said was the name of what the old Indian was calling Lionel (the friend that turns into a foe). I think it sounded like "Sa'deeth".

Kelly W

Second Unit
What do you guys think of all the native-American prophesy stuff? To me, this comes out of left field and doesn't seem to fit in with the Superman mythos. Is there any basis for this in the comics?

-Kelly

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I hate it. I hate "chosen ones" as a general rule, and even though the Superman/DC Comics mythos has always included everything, it has always had a science-fictional sensibility at its core.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also liked the red blanket looking like a cape when Clark gets up. And the mild mannered or greatest hero line.
Something I have mentioned in an another thread. I think it would be more interesting if Lex still remains friends with Clark. But, hates Superman. Can you imagine the conflict for Clark? (all of this in the future though). I just don't think Lex could ever hate Clark. He could easily destroy the Kents(ie-forclosure etc). At most Clark can become just another hick from the country.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Well Tom Welling has said time and time again he's never going to be Superman, so who knows how long the show will last. I'd love to see him as a superman as I think he's great. I think Rosenbaum would make an even greater villian if they let it go that far. So at best this show will only go as far as college, but who knows if they'll take it that far.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Actually, he is softening his stance on that. Supposedly, he has been talking to various people at the studios. And might be willing to do a movie. According to www.superherohype.com Welling met with Ratner(when he was still attached to the project) and discussed the role. But, both agreed the show would have to end for him to do it. So maybe WB will wait another year or so and let the producers of Smallville do the show.

On a side note. Alex Ross made a couple of sketches to show what Welling may look like as Supes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks