Smallville 5/14/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, May 14, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Man, I love this show.

But there are two MAJOR errors here in this one.

1)Chloe being rescued. She was awake when Clark opened it. So does she know about his powers? Even if she didn't see him open it, she would have felt being lifted up, and thought it awfully strange that Clark could have done all that alone.

2)Lana was also conscious during her rescure, and clearly didn't see Clark, but surley not getting cutby the glass should raise her suspicions...

Next weeks ep makes it look like the secret may be out..

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

At the start of the episode, Lana and Whitney are riding horses in the field, then spot some explosions and smoke. They ride towards the smoke, and find some cops, and work crew trying to deal with gas lines, but one of the gas lines blow up. Lana is hurled from the site, with kryptonite rocks around her, along with some of the other people at the site. Afterwards, Lana finds that she has a psychic connection with the main bad guy (felt a bit like Cordy's visions on "Angel").

Lex is getting closer to the the truth about Clark. Jonathan is peeved that Lex is sniffing around for what was Clark's rocket ship landing spot - Jonathan even gave back Lex's generous settlement check when his livestock was destroyed by Luthorcorp misdeeds.

Now it's time for Chloe to be the damsel in distress. After visiting Lana in the hospital, she leaves for Metropolis to interview for a summer internship at the Daily Planet, but is kidnapped by the bad guy (which Lana sees as visions).

Lana finally gets a vision that helps Clark find Chloe buried in a box underneath a windmill in a field. Clark saves Chloe and she is taken to the hospital. Chloe recovers quickly and is back in action soon.

Chloe got in the "Clark leaping tall theories in a single bound" line when he was figuring the post traumatic syndrome that was explaining Lana's psychic link to the bad guy, who turns out to be the "nice cop"

Lex's search crew find a piece of metal alloy that's alien to this world. Prof. Hamilton is the one who found it and tested it. This raises Lex's curiousity even higher.

Pete brags to Clark that he's taking the best looking girl to the Formal dance, and suggest that Clark get off his duff and ask Chloe.

Lana is kidnapped by the bad guy, brought back to a carnival site that's not in operation at this point in time. Clark finds Lana in time to block a bullet meant for Lana. The bullet ricocheted upwards and brought down a bunch of glass, so Clark covered Lana from harm/glass. The bad cop was hoping to use his "solving" of a murder as a stepping stone for a better law enforcement career. The bad cop shots Clark in the chest, but the bullets just bounce off him now. Clark throws the bad cop into the side of a building, check on Lana. The cops show up and the bad cop doesn't want to be taken alive, so he is shot dead by the other cops when he shoots at them. So the secret of Clark being bullet-proof dies with him.

Chloe goes to Clark's place, up in his fortress of solitude, and tells him that her story about the whole ordeal with the bad cop convinced the Daily Planet to give her the summer internship (without the interview that she didn't make while be held by the bad cop).

Clark summons the courage to ask Chloe to the Formal dance, and Chloe's face lights up and accepts Clark's invitation. Clark is closing the book on Lana for the time being (he was admonished by his mom earlier in the episode).

The metal piece that Prof. Hamilton found is from Clark's spaceship, and we are left with a shot of the spaceship (missing the metal piece on its wing) as the episode concludes.

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

One of my favorite episodes so far. I'm really disappointed that we are approaching the season finale so soon. I just want this show to go on forever! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the recap Pat. Some clarifications if you don't mind:

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Fixed the initial non-Clark presence (I watched this episode around 3 a.m.).

I still think the reporter dude didn't see the bullets bouncing off Clark, but we'll find out next week!

5. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

There did indeed appear to be an S on that ship fragment.

I like this show a lot, but it's starting to bug me just how close Lex is getting. Lex is supposed to be one of the smartest people around. Even if the writers keep him from putting 2 and 2 together in Smallville, they have to be careful not to paint themselves in a corner for 10 years down the line when Clark & Lex live in Metropolis.

I mean how much of a leap is it for Lex in Metropolis to see a guy in blue with a big S on his chest who can do really amazing things and gets hurt by Kryptonite... then think back 10 years ago to Smallville where he meets Clark--who curiously survived being hit by his car, and where he found a small fragment with that same S on it, and where all those meteor rocks are.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Chloe looked to be in a daze when Clark popped the box open, but she clearly made a statement that Clark is always doing the rescuing. Lana should also come to that conclusion. This might be a suspension of disbelief thing, like the amazing disguising power of a pair of glasses >>
    There does seem to be a bit of continuity in these episodes, so that's a good thing. Maby they'll touch on this weeks episodes in next weeks finale. Watching good shows like this has gotten me interested in TV again [​IMG].
    But on the glasses bit. Has there ever been an intereview with the creator on why he choose that as the only disguising method?
    Also, too bad someone dosn't re-release all the original comics in collectible hard cover book format. This'll give people like me a place to start reading them...

8. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I still think Chloe is Lois Lane. Something will happen and she will lose her memories of Clark & Smallville. But, will remember subconsciencely a "super" man who saved her numerous times. Thus she will have the love for Superman. While Clark will follow his love to Metropolis and the rest is history. [​IMG]

10. Bill Catherall

Roberto - I mentioned in another Smallville thread how I tried a "relationship" with a close friend in high school that turned out bad. This show is just hitting a little too close to home and it brings back the old bad memories. The apprehension in Clark...the "dreamy-ness" in Chloe's eyes...etc. Just a little too familiar and uncomfortable. Nothing against Chloe. I like her more than Lana too.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In the pre-Crisis Superman comics, Clark made his glasses out of glass from his spaceship, and these glasses casted the illusion that Clark was a bit older and thinner, with a receding hairline, and Clark slouched to make himself look shorter than Superman. This was really one of the explanations the writers used to explain why people didn't connect Clark with Superman.

Chloe is the prototype for Lois Lane when Clark meets his future wife in Metropolis 5-10 years from now. I still contend that Chloe will meet an untimely demise to solidify Clark's requirement that he lead a totally double life with a secret identity so his loved ones don't get hurt (a la the themes from the current Spider-Man movie).

Allison Mack did a great job lighting up the barn when Clark asked her to the dance. It's like her dreams came true for her that moment in time.

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Allison Mack did a great job lighting up the barn when Clark asked her to the dance. It's like her dreams came true for her that moment in time.
    >>
    Heh, still freaks me out a bit that I knew someone in highschool by that name, and the two remind me of each other in terms of personality and looks. Only problem is the actress Allison Mack is a Blond and a few years to young to be the same lady I went to HS with [​IMG].

13. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not a huge superman fan, and i haven't seen smallville from the first episode, so i dont know anyhting about what happens, i ahve one question:

How does Clark get his powers? Is he an alien or something?

okay thats two questions :p)

15. Bill Catherall

Nickso - If that's a joke...that's LOL funny! [​IMG]
    If you're serious you need to go to your room! You're in a time-out!! [​IMG]

16. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

17. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Patrick - thanks so much for the recap. The cable went out last night so I missed the last 20 min. of what I thought was a great episode! [​IMG]
    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the tension that is building between Lex and the Kent's, especially since it will soon involve Clark as well.
    NickSo, I've read your post a couple times and it doesn't seem sarcastic...forgive us if we find it hard to believe that someone doesn't know the background of Superman. [​IMG] In any event, if you are serious, Clark hails from another planet, Krypton, and because of his genetic makeup, density, etc., our yellow sun grants him great powers/strength. The green rocks you've been seeing in the show are actually fragments from Krypton that traveled along with Clark's ship after the planet exploded (which was the reason he was sent away, escaping just before the explosion). The rocks, called kryptonite later on, emit radiation that severely incapacitates Clark, and affects normal humans in strange ways (akin to radiation emitted from uranium, for example).
    Anyway, if you were joking, then I've wasted 2 min. typing. If you weren't, then this is just a very basic explanation of his background. If you care to know more, feel free to ask. I'm sure all the fans on the board will jump at the chance to tell you the tale! [​IMG]

18. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

You mean Clark isn't the son of Darth Vader? :b

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Jim: Thanks alot, i really was serious... :b Im only 16!!! I've never seen superman before! Thanks alot...

20. Bill Catherall

Nickso - You're not out of your timeout yet. [​IMG] You can't come out of your room until you watch Superman: The Movie. (Ok...you can come out just long enough to go and buy/rent it, but then you need to march right back in there (or where ever your TV is) and do your "homework.") [​IMG]
    I really do recommend this movie. I think you'll love it.