What's new

Smallville 5/12/04 (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yes, but that doesn't alleviate pressures regarding the final outcome. In fact, I think that if they did try to stretch the timeline out ten years, it would create more of a problem with the gripe that the characcters aren't growing.

The problem is that they can't grow these characters beyond that point. They're working against a wall, and the fact that they don't know where their road ends and that wall begins is the problem. There's no guarantee how many season they will do, so they could either short it, and not have enough time to satisfactorily get to where they need to go, or be required to go on longer and then have to either back peddle or stop their character's growth completely. It's a hard thing to juggle.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think Smallville is very good. What they're doing is interesting and a lot of character development and interaction. A great basis to move into Superman, if they choose.

That said, sure it has some problems. The Lana/Clark thing has gotten very old as nearly anyone here can attest to. The best thing for the show will be if she goes to Paris and we don't see her for a long time. Also, the excesses they've taken with the freaks and what kyrptonite can do, have stretched the bounds of credibility, even in a world where an infant from another planet crash lands and is raised as one of us.

But a lot of positives. The interactions with Chloe, and what seems likely that she'll disappear and resurface as Lois Lane. The Lex/Lionel & Lex/Clark dynamics are great. Clark and his relationship with Jonathan and Martha is also top-notch. Pete had potential to be much more, too bad they didn't use that.

I do hope they will move things outside of their 'safe' environment, then they can do some really grat shows.

Guy_Uhler

Grip
I am an avid watcher of both Smallville and Buffy, but I don't think I could ever compare the two. Buffy was an exceptional show with great writing, character development, and awesome storylines. And while, the last two seasons of Buffy didn't do the show justice, they were still entertaining and kept up with the heart of the show.

Smallville is a good show. I really enjoy watching it week to week, but I don't think it comes close to the caliber that Buffy was. The dialogue alone is sub-par and simplistic. The story is great and when they try to advance the story they do a wonderful job, but the Monster of the Week episodes DO get out of hand and very unrealistic(granted it's a show about a man from another planet). The acting also makes the show a little hard to watch sometimes. I personally don't believe John Schneider, Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk(although HOT), and Sam Jones are very good actors. They are a little wooden and it does draw away from the show at times. Ok, well, now that it seems that I hate Smallville, I don't. I like it, but I truly believe that Buffy was a brilliant and much better show.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I don't want to bash the dialogue on Buffy, but the habit of taking a pop-culture reference, usually a noun, and twisting it into a verb, adverb or adjective isn't exactly genius. Smallville does it from time to time as well, and it's just as tired. I blame Kevin Williamson for the trend.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Since this is a Smallville thread, not a Buffy thread, I'll just say this and be done with it. It wasn't the pop culture references or the snappy dialog that made Buffy and Angel such great shows, better shows than TV had seen in years and will probably not see the likes of any time soon the way the networks are going right now. It was the fact that the writers made you care about ever single person in the show on some level.

The mark of a great show is one where you can't wait to see what happens to these characters each and every week and that is what Buffy and Angel were/are all about. Yes the dialog was great and snappy and funny and witty, but it was the characters that held it all together.

Crap like Friends tried to do the same thing but every word out of those 6 phony people sounded like garbage to me and after the 1st 5 seasons I started wishing they would all just stand in front of a fast moving bus.

ER used to have the magic years ago, Sports Night had it in spades (Damn you for cancelling it after 2 seasons and an Emmy ABC, I'm enjoying your ratings plummet each and every week, you've earned it), Cheers always has it, Fraiser used to have it, MASH had it. Hell, I'll be the 1st to admit that I even thought the 1st season of Dawson's Creek had small doses of great writing and characterization. There are a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting but now I can't think of a single show out there after this season that will come close to these.

Oh well, thank god for DVD box sets of tv shows and great movies because TV it turning into an utter wasteland. There are about 3 shows I think will be great and a couple more that be just good and worth watching next year, how sad is that. I used to not be able to keep up with all the great stuff out there

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Kryptonsite.com just posted some interesting information on some Season 4 casting regarding two characters who will appear in next season's first few episodes, one of them an all-new character and the other...well, just read on:

http://www.kryptonsite.com

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Kryptonsite.com just posted some interesting information on some Season 4 casting regarding two characters who will appear in next season's first few episodes, one of them an all-new character and the other...well, just read on:

http://www.kryptonsite.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks