Smallville 4/30/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, May 1, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The villain of the week, Sasha, was a bit scary (the queen bee running for class president against other Smallville high school students, including Clark who gets pushed into the political arena by Pete). Sasha is the same girl who was in last season's Buffy, playing Warren's love-slave bombshell robot ("I Was Made To Love You") but she was almost unrecognizable from Buffy to Smallville. (She was also Eli's restaurant hottie in "Once and Again" a few shows ago).

Watching Clark go through the political campaigning process was a nice twist, yet another lesson he'll learn, plus getting his "Man of Tomorrow" moniker from Lex was a nice touch. And also Lex admitting that he'd like to be president might prove prophetic one day... Glad Clark and Chloe made up after her endorsement of the more qualified candidate in the editorial of the school paper. That has to give Chloe props in Clark's eyes (that Chloe is principled).

The Lana-Talon subplot leads Lana into more quotes from the Godfather, and more under-handed tactics to fight fire with fire. Maybe's it's a good lesson for her, maybe it'll make her less naive.

Lex's dealing with the reporter trying to use him as a stepping stone was classic Lex. If you can't beat an enemy, make them your "friend" (Or "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    This show needs a continuing storyline badly. I'm starting to feel hints towards that end with Lex and his Dad and that would be good (Lex's takeover of the company).

But this villain of the week thing is getting tiring to both the audience and obviously the writers. The quick way Clark made the connection with; Oh, Sasha was attacked by bees last year so she must be controlling them! Too convenient.

I really like this show and think it has mounds of potential, but they better start making something of it quick.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

They finally get a brother on the show (no relation) and he lasts all of three minutes! Was he wearing a red shirt? Why not take out the cheerleader first; she was more competition. At least he won the election [​IMG]
    You suppose Clark's clothes should have been singed in that explosion?
    The writers certainly take advantage of the back/future story that we all know, but I can't help wondering if that's sort of a crutch that makes the show seem better than it actually is. For ex, in Babylon 5, they setup things that payoff a few seasons later, but that's all original writing and something we do get to see. We'll never see Lex as president.
    //Ken

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Great episode!
    I think this ep had more "foreshadowing" than any other episode. One other thing I noticed...the picture that Paul Chan drew of himself for his campaign fliers (wearing blue tights, red cape, and an "S" on his chest). [​IMG] Also, Clark's line, "Truth, Justice...and other stuff."
    When Clark got in Sasha's face and challenged her...classic Superman vs. Bad Guy. He's not just out to help people, now he's fighting back against "evil." Before he was always on the defense side. This episode he seemed to play a little more offense.
    Was Sasha the "pretty ugly girl." [​IMG]
    Now a question about Godfather. I liked how this show used the Godfather for some of the plot...showing how corrupting power can be, "It's not personal, it's just business," "An offer I couldn't refuse," "Going to the mattresses." I understand where they all came from. I just recently saw The Godfather for the first time and loved it...but what exactly does "Going to the mattresses" mean? I mean what exactly are "the mattresses?"

7. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Bill, "going to the mattresses" was an expression that also had a literal meaning. When the Corleone family decided to step up the war and retaliate by hitting Selazzo and the captain, they knew there would be severe backlash. As a result, they brought everybody into the Corleone estate - for protection as well as safety (thus needing mattresses for all the new bodies). You remember how things changed at the house? There was a car blocking the front gate with armed men all around - heavy security.
    As far as Smallville is concerned - another great episode. I loved the foreshadowing in this one as well - plus all the character advancements! Being a Godfather fan, I also loved the running motif. [​IMG]

8. Bill Catherall

Thanks Jim! Yeah, I knew what the expression meant, I just didn't get what mattresses had to do with it. [​IMG]

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

10. Bill Catherall

Adam - Actually I think it does make sense. The blue tights and cape was just a "generic" superhero renduring using school colors. And the "S" on the chest was the school letter. Smallville High. If you notice, all the jocks have S's on a shield on their letterman jackets. He wasn't making himself to be Superman. He was just making himself look like a school superhero.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor