Smallville 4/28

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by KyleC, Apr 28, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

One of the best episodes of the entire show. What a powerful scene at the end with Lex and Lionel. I also like the lack of Lana. [​IMG] Looks good next week too!

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree. Right up there with Rosetta. Everytime I'm about to give up on the show, it comes up with an episode like this and wows me.

John Glover is an amazing actor. The scene at the end between Lionel and Lex was gripping, as Kyle mentioned, but it was the scene between Martha and Clark that really sold it for me. Just as the big Johnathan episodes are also Jor-El episodes, the first big Lara episode was the first episode where Martha really got a scene to shine. And that pull-away shot from the loft was completely new, and completely worked.

While I don't think the putting Kal-El into the spaceship scene was quite as good as in S:TM, I did love the evocative mist that surrounded everything. Truly an alien world. I missed Jor-El's speech from S:TM particularly ("They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you, my only son...") but I can see why they didn't include it; that moment was about Lara in this episode. Jor-El was merely comforting Lara, which keeps his motives sufficiently cloaked to maintain the power of the eventual revelation regarding his deal with Johnathan.

The scene that gripped me above all others the crib-side transformation from quiet sobbing into a feral monster (Lionel). That's the moment that doomed Lex Luthor.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

"A mother's love never dies."

That line springboard the paths of Clark and Lex to where they are now.

Lex's constant seeking of his father's love was met by a father's internal turmoil and shame as Lionel has always blamed the death of his other son Julian at the hand of his oldest son Lex, and when the truth is revealed (all from the actions of a mother whose love for her younger son prompted her to commit in her mind the ultimate act of love by not allowing Lionel to raise Julian because of who Lionel was), Lex has been living with life-long death of his relationship with his father, and this fundamentally formed the person he has become, someone who just wants the love he never had from his father, and will probably never have, all the while having a profound impact of who he has become.

Clark, in the same vein, was sent away by her mother Lara due to her love for him and wanting to give him a better chance at life in the face of otherwise assured destruction and death as Krypton imploded. Being raised by Martha and Jonathan could only have happened if Lara's love for him allowed her to let him be sent elsewhere to live and exist.

The unintended effect of Lex's mother's action is a cruel irony of life because she thought she was doing the right thing, but it turned out to be an even worse catalyst in creating a relationship whereby Lionel had no choice but to withhhold his love for Lex, given that he couldn't help but think Lex was the evil child who murdered his brother due to envy and jealousy. Being a father whose son who he thought had homicidal tendecies couldn't have been an easy thing for Lionel either.

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Does everyone have to Lana-bash every week even when she is barely on??

I really enjoyed the episode. Great scene with Lex and his Dad and Clark and his Mom and of course the Clark in Spandex scene.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Great episode. The Lex/Lionel stuff was fantastic. It was also good to see the show touch on the Mother/Son releationship more than normal.

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Lana's scene really felt forced, but was needed to get the plot rolling.

Overall, I loved this episode. The kid who played Lex was spot-on. I didn't mind Clark being relegated to a substory, and his actions seemed appropriate. As was said before, the dynamic between Lionel and Lex was incredible, and the revelation at the end was incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Plus I liked getting Jonathan out of the way for some quality mom and son time... she'd been relatively useless this season, so it was nice to see her get a meatier part. A well-structured episode, and it's got me hooked for another season.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Definitely an excellent episode.

Mikel...yes. We must bash Lana. Amazingly, the best episodes have the least of her. Coincidence? [​IMG]

The kid playing Lex did a GREAT job, as did normal Lex.

Take care,
    Chuck

8. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

You know, I didn't even remember Lana being in the episode after I watched it... I was just sitting here and ya'll were talking about the Lana scene.. and I couldn't think what she did. hehe...

Now, I remember though.

But, yeah.. the rest of the episode was so good, I didn't even remember Lana. [​IMG]

9. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

Crap, I missed this one, I had a work function I couldn't get out of. Hopefully this wont mess me up for next weeks episode.

I miss the Sunday replay. [​IMG]

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I kinda had the same realization about Pete and Chloe after the episode.

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

But, like usual, her presence was unecessary. All that was needed to get the plot rolling was to have Clark find Lex on the ledge, not Lana. Lana's presence there was forced. Pete, Chloe, even Jonathon weren't in this episode, and Lana didn't need to be there either.

Absolutely fantasitc episode otherwise. Great work Glover's part, but especially great work on Annette O'Toole's part.

12. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

At last a episode that uses the significant acting talents of Glover and O'Toole.

All around, very well done, lots of plot, action, emotion. I also felt the absence of Lana...not at all.

Michael Rosenberg (did I get that right) is a better actor than I thought. The kid playing him is also very good.

One of my faves. I watched it twice in a row on my PVR.

I really felt bad for Clark in the tank.

But I felt worse for Lex and his baby brother. I thought it was tasteful and respectful that they did not show the dead baby just the action above the crib. Except for that quick moment, which blew it for me. There was no need.

Kudos to the Smallville cast and crew. Great television.

13. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

Lana was the only character that really had a reason to be visiting Lex's Manor. She was delivering the paperwork from the Talon or some such. I did think it made sense for her to be there over anyone else.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Close...Michael Rosenbaum [​IMG]

I think he's consistently the best actor on the show. It was great seeing him and John Glover go toe to toe with so much emotion.

15. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Lex is an investor, not the manager, so the paperwork would be minimal and something that could be sent to him rather than dropped off personally. Clark is Lex's best friend, and drops by all the time unannounced.

The problem with Lana is that they've outgrown the character beyond her purpose-the unattainable girl from high school-and become a damsel in distress. Also, her relationship with Clark is the one element of the show that anchors the show in WB territory, i.e. the teen drama, and keeps it from growing beyond that.

It's just awkward how they continually force her into episodes simply to give her some face time when the plot of the episode doesn't dictate her presence.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    From Krytonsite. Majore spoiler regarding character.

Sam Jones III (Pete) Leaving Smallville
    Madsci has somehow gotten an early copy of Dreamwatch #117 (on sale 4/29 in the UK, 5/18 in the U.S.) and has told us that within the magazine is a spoiler article that reveals that the episode "Forsaken" will be Sam Jones III's last as a regular on Smallville.

Judging from the episode spoilers, it sounds like the events of the episode might be the final straw for the Pete Ross character. We don't know what the future holds for Pete, but we're assuming he's not being killed.

17. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Anyone else find the line "The last time Lex went crazy, you got trampled by a horse" really funny for some reason? Maybe it's just me...

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I gave it a little chuckle too, Mark [​IMG]

I definitely agree with Chad about Lana outgrowing her place on the show. She doesn't bother me as much as some of you guys, but she's probably the worst aspect of the show.

19. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I agree, "Memoria" was an emotionally intense episode from the get-go. Having Gough and Millar handle this episode themselves shows that they've got the right stuff to handle a Superman big-screen film. More quality episodes like these, please! [​IMG]

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Sigh... Darn Repeats. I just havn't gotten back into the grove with smallville this season. I must have misesd the first 4 episodes of the season, and the last 4, including the Christopher Reeve ep, and the latest. I made a point to program the downstairs VCR to tape this wensday so I don't miss the Supergirl?
    introduction..

I really wish they'd put back the repeats of Wensdays episode back on Sunday...