What's new

Smallville 4/23/02 (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I had a love/hate thing going with this episode. I liked all the father/son stuff, but the Kryptonite baddie of the week was just laughable. Especially at the end when he basically breaks into a South Park "You know, I learned something today." That was an incredibly weak way to end the episode.

As always Lex is the most interesting character, especially in the way he handled the auditor from his Dad. He's slowly slipping to the dark side, but apparently he knows it. Interesting.

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I thought the bad guy was pretty lame.

But the father son part was great...and Lex was kickass as well.

I really liked when clark said:

"I'll that the man over the memory any day."

that was great.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Lex is the "Mr Spock" of Smallville - more interesting than the main character.

Wonder what they are going to do for Sweeps?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the "super villain" of the week was kind of weak this week, but the rest of the character development among the principles were really good. You have to love the values this show tries to instill into its viewers while still maintaining an edge to the violence among the conflict within the episode.

Clark scored a TD with Lana by setting up that Metropolis Sharks game/scrimmage for Whitney and his father. Sometimes knowing Lex can have its advantages.

How Lex dealt with his father was nice and dastardly, while dealing with Clark's father was classy and reserved. It will make Lex's (eventual) turn to the dark side all the more tragic.

Whitney's and Lana's conversation at Lana's parents' graves was a nice touch, and poignant due to its meaning for both of them.

And finally, Clark and his father making up, and having Clark finally realizing the point of the fishing trips gave more resonance to their father-son bond that does lend itself to strong parenting by Jonathan and Martha, and Lex was correct in his assessment that Clark was fortunate for having parents that cared enough to set limits for him while he grew up because of the instillment of core values and self respect.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
What super villan? I thought Tyler was a wonderful lesson for Clark, that things aren't always black and white; that morality so depends on frame of reference. Oh, and that something for the sake of (insert good virtue here) can all to easily turn into something for the sake of itself, and thus become twisted.

Dunno how much sense that makes, but makes enough to me.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yeah, that's true but it all could have been handled better. For starters I don't see the connection between a piece of kryptonite embedded in his wrist gave him the power to cremate people. And the end where he very blatantly says that he thought one thing but was wrong and then killed himself, it was just a shrift short manner to come to that realization. It needed a bit more subtelty than the afforementioned "You know, I learned something today" approach.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
They explained that he was dead; "His heart wasn't beating." So his power was the power to take life.

And true, it was kinda blunt, but sometimes, that really happens. I think the more interesting bit was that Chloe (who blows Lana away) is a ghoul, doesn't care about breaking the law to get what she wants, and is going to get herself killed one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks