Smallville 3/3/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think Lana totally suspects Clark has super-powers. Given all the krypto-freak-o-the-week have shown super-powers on a weekly basis, it's time that Lana embrace that aspect of Clark and by her deciding to call Clark when Adam was chasing her, it almost seals the deal.

I did like the bullet-time super-speed effect with the bullet through the rain drops.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I liked how Adam got progressively Yellower as the episode went on. I'm sort of pissed about the WB announcing John Glover's role in the upcoming Christopher Reeve episode as it robbed tonight's ending of some of its punch. I did like the Frequency aspect with the baseball game.

3. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I love time travel stories even if they arent really time travel stories just time themed stories.
    It kinda reminded me of the movie Frequency that two different time periods were able to communicate and change time in the process.
    Really enjoyed the dark themes and the action scene where Clark zips to save Lana with the whole slo mo thing was very very cool.
    So are we left guessing what allowed them to communicate from the future to the past. The phone lines were glowing green. Does that mean they were Kryptonite phone lines?

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You know how last week I was bitching about how fast Clark had to be going? Well that's nothing compared to this week. Not only was he faster than a speeding (rifle) bullet, but he had to be like a thousand times faster -- unless the crisis center was just next door -- which is like, uh, really really fast! On the ground. While it was raining!

As for the kryponite-induced time-shifting: the less said, the better.

5. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

While I never saw Frequency, the first thing it reminded me of was the episode of Star Trek: TNG, "Time Squared", in which the crew retrieved a Picard from six hours in the future, and they were viewing the shuttle logs from the future. Then there was the DS9 episode "The Sound of Her Voice", in which Sisko and O'Brien were able to talk with the downed starship captain who had died three years before on a planet.

While DS9's theory was explained successfully, TNG's was left more vague as to how and why (though originally it was supposed to have been Q's involvement in the incidents). The reason I bring up these two Trek episodes is that how Clark was able to intercept and record Lana's phone call from a day in the future still remained unexplained by episode's end. It left me scratching my head and wondering, "Huh?"

Lionel Luthor subplot: nicely played out at episode's end. Of course we know that he's going to be in the Christopher Reeve episode "Legacy" in several weeks, but beyond that is anyone's guess.

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    At the very least, at the bare minimum, even if it was taken back -- I got to watch Whiny Lana Lang die. That was a treat. Especially since the episode ended with another Lana and Clark scene where they re-re-re-re-define their relationship.

At least Lex and Lionel are heating up their storyline.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone was happy for Lana being shot at the beginning.

She's a character and if she were all independent and could defend herself all the time there wouldnt be a show would there?

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Gee, I figure a 17-year-old girl who co-owns and operates her own café could be considered fairly independent, and she certainly seems to have been taking some self-defense courses (pretty wise, with the sheer number of loonies who have tried to kidnap, kill, or otherwise harm her).

9. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

Agreed, I thought thought that effect was awesome!

10. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

Agreed, so where does someone come off calling her whiney?

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

My dislike for her has nothing to with her danger quotient. It was her obsession with 'honesty' and 'the truth'. That's why I call her whiny, since she was always whining about Clark being honest with her.

Why should that bother me you ask? Well, the character has outgrown her place in the Superman universe. She was set up well, the cheerleader that Clark loved from afar but couldn't get near. There's a girl like that in most people's development, unless you were the football hero and then your unattainable was usually the brainy pretty girl who hated you. That was an element that humanized this otherwise super-being. She should be a minor character at best.

Chloe, with her pesky investigative reporter habits should be the one in danger all the time. Especially since she's the model *cough* will take the name of *cough* Lois Lane. Chloe being in danger is a tad more believable than Lana.

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    I knew someone here would be happy about that.

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    DAH! I assumed that they were going to be airing the "best of" episodes already and missed this one. Anyone have a synopsis?

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

There may be something up at TV Tome as far as a synopsis.

I missed this and Angel on Wed because I was at the Purdue/Illinois game (Ack! That was a heart-breaker), but I dled it last night, and I was impressed. Didn't like the krypto-time-traveling, but other than that a hell of an episode.

15. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Probably the best episode in quite some time. I'm kinda glad they didn't delve that too far into how the rip in the fabric of time and space occurred, but let's just assume it was K-rocks as usual. Was it just me or did anyone also feel that Lana would've been better off just spending the whole day with Clark, the only person who couldn't be knocked out with the butt of a gun or threatened at scissor-point? Not only that, but I'm pretty sure Lana's an independent girl, as stated before, so how come she didn't take it upon herself to change the future events when she knocked down Adam any of the 7 times she did. Instead of running, she could've easily taken his gun and at least shot him in his kneecaps for insurance.

Patrick, I totally hope you're right, as he was on the phone with Lana one second at the Center and the next he's right behind her, and Adam has "missed" his shot. Unless the Center is actually the building Lana just ran out of, in which case, she should've just screamed since he would've been in earshot, she just has to put 2 and 2 together. Other than these two main points, I thought it was quite a strong episode.

16. James T

James T Screenwriter

I don't think the storage building is located next to Teen Hotline. If she was close by, Clark could have used his super hearing instead of trying to listen to a cell phone. It's also kinda an odd place to setup a teen hotline or vice versa.

It was a good episode, but Clark was moving way too fast. When Clark was looking for Adam in the fork in the road. Couldn't he have just ran in the 3 different directions to find Adam. If he could travel a great distance in the time it takes to fire a rifle, he could have easily found Adam at that point.

I also just noticed this. Superman has this protective field surrounding him so that his outfit never gets damaged by fire, bullets, acid, etc. It basically becomes an extension of Clark's skin. His cape being an exception, since it extends a bit past his body and is not closely attached. Anyways, I noticed that Clark had a bullet hole in his shirt, which should not have happened. Did he always get his clothes ripped when going through an ordeal?

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Clark has on Smallville, yes. Maybe he just hasn't sucked up enough solar energy for the surface-effect invulnerability yet.

18. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

From what I remember of Superman, the Kents used fabric that was found in the shuttle to create his "superman" outfit. The material was indestructable so that's why it's never destroyed when he wears it. Although, how they sewed it into an outfit I don't remember.

19. James T

James T Screenwriter

I'm not really sure about the fabric. I think they changed it over the history. I think it started as home-made and then went to space fabric. In current comic timeline, I'm not sure. But I know for sure, that his clothes have the exact same protection as his skin. It's almost like a force field. That's why the shots of Superman(in the comics) after a fire battle, his cape is all that's burnt or partially destroyed.

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

If I had to guess, using a kryptonite needle, and kryptonite scissors? Or maybe putting a piece of the stuff next to it would do, just like Clark could be injected or cut when subject to the effects of kryptonite.

BTW, just realised that we're only about 2 months behind you lot in the US on Smallville. Save for some reality shows, this must be the fastest show being brought out here, in other cases at best we're currently getting the stuff broadcast in the 2002/03 season.