Smallville 3/12/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"Parker Lewis CAN Lose"

If anyone didn't recognize the "bad guy" on tonight's Smallville, it was none other than Corin Nemec, formerly known as Parker Lewis from the zany "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" show on Fox so many years ago.

I thought it was an entertaining show, done with flashbacks to bring the viewer up to speed on Lex's predicament of hanging upside down in a straight jacket. Again, we get to see a darker side of Lex, and his reputation in Smallville just gets more and more mud tossed on it.

Episode recap:

Lana is doing a bang up job getting the Talon movie theater into shape for a grand re-opening, but Lex's past keeps littering the theater with plenty of strange things that are designed to freak Lana out and disrupt Lex's business dealing, like delivering the severed right hand in a box to Lex.

Also, the bad guy frames Lex by dumping Lexcorp chemicals on the Kent's farm where the land feeds their cows, which leaves the Kents with lots of dead cows. Jonathan is royally pissed at Lex now.

In the form of a class assignment, Clark has the problem of a persistent Chloe, who's hellbound on getting the scoop of the back history of Clark. This causes friction between the two, and finally Chloe relents, rather to lose the story than a friend. But in the end, she doesn't give up the research she's done on Clark's "adoption" to the Kents, so that will be picked up in a future episode when Clark least needs for it to surface and expose him and his family's secret.

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I guess I didn't recignize "Parker" without his shirts.

I liked the episode tonight but I kind of wish that Lex did pull the trigger because it would make him out to be more of a bad guy. He seems too good still.

Chloe digging into Clarks adoption really irritated me. Like Clark said, it is just a class project and she was looking for something she had no business delving into, but I am glad she saved the file about the adoption agency. Go figure.

How did someone get the chemicals from Luthor Corp to dump in the Kents' field?

3. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

Further, how did the "bad" guy know to dump the chemicals in the Kent farm to further damage Lex's rep or was it just coincidence?

Bobbing-head Lana alert: Lana bobbed her head only three times during this episode (of course, she didn't have much screen time this ep).

4. DonWinzen

Also, Admin shouldnt we have an persistent thread for Smallville now? I think we could justify it since it relies heavily on ep continuity.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm of the opinion that we need to see a few more seasons before we see "The One and Only Smallville" thread, I'm afraid. It's not as highly serialized as you may think (where's the bigger driving storyline, besides Lex's dark past?). The series still mainly "A day in the life of Clark Kent" so far.

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Don, I was also thinking of Miss Bobble-head while I watched it and laughed. I hope I don't think it about it everytime she is on the screen b/c than she will be ruined.

7. DonWinzen

Patrick, I see your point on the everlasting Kent thread. It'll happen soon enough.

Jeremiah, "bobble"-head Lana has already ruined me. I hardly listen to her lines anymore and pay more attention to her mannerisms. Arrrgh!

And Chloe is actually more attractive than Lana; check out Lana's hairstyle in this past ep and you can tell that Chloe is naturally prettier than Lana (and I have a tendency to be more attracted to brunettes than blondes).

8. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Hey, didn't anybody notice there was no kryptonite in this episode? The bad guy was just a bad guy, not a krypto-monster. [​IMG]
    I thought that guy was Parker Lewis, but he looked much heavier. Not fat, just bulked up. Parker Lewis was a skinny little 100 lb. wimp (no offense NickSo [​IMG] ).

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Nah, the ending was cheese. "I just found this guy who looked just like him. And I'm avenging my sister! Bwuhahahaha!" Just bad. It was interesting to see what happened at this famous club zero that got Lex banished to Smallville, but talk about much ado about nothing.

Although, I don't think we can be too sure what happened at club zero. During Lex's uninitiated flashback when he was boxing, he shot Parker Lewis (who lost twice last night). ONly after he found our who plumber boy was did he tell the story of the girl doing the shooting. Hopefully there's still more to it.

And, yes, I dig Chloe WAAAAY more than boring old Lana (not that I'd kick her out of bed for eating crackers). And oddly, my wife digs Les WAAAY more than she digs Clark.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Corin Nemec just filled out into *gasp* an adult! [​IMG]
    Wouldn't be cool to get The Kubester on Smallville as well (he's back on ER for a bit as Jerry).
    The ending was a bit too neat and tidy, but I was getting nauseous looking at all the veins in Lex's head when he was upsidedown. I had to wonder if Lex had designs on that girl (probably so).
    Kristin Kreuk is under strict orders by the producers to not do much with her hair, especially not to cut it short for fear of the Felicity backlash. Supposedly, she's not even supposed to wear her hair up when she makes appearances on talk shows, etc. (From this month's Rolling Stone article).

11. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

12. DonWinzen

The letter "K" is a common theme in the Superman universe as well as the usage of the same leading consonants for the first and last names so I am not too surprised.

Good question regarding the doppleganger exiting so quickly when Clark entered the gym.

And it was a natural entrance for Lex in a humvee considering Porsches dont do well off-road.

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This is only perhaps the 2nd episode I have watched, but I am becoming a fan of the show. Nobody mentionned it so perhaps you guys are used to it but... the special effects at the end were amazing. Holy cow, there are many theatrical movies out there of recent years who don't get it this right. Actually I should say the "action" sequence. Nothing ground breaking, it was just so well done.

--

Holadem

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

This episode ain't nothing compared to some we've seen. In particular, the one where Lex goes evil (without ruining it for you[​IMG]) we see Clark trying to dodge the bullets, failing, and watching them bounce off him in slow mo while he's moving "regular" speed.[​IMG]
    I agree, though, the production values on this series are incredible.

15. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Not only did I enjoy the EP, but did you see the Spiderman movie trailer! I never dreamed I'd see a scripted Superman'esque show and see a Spiderman movie trailer on TV in the same hour!

16. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

the episode was great and I saw the trailer for blade ans Spider-man. It was just too great. [​IMG]

17. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

They should do more shows like this one, no kryptonite(sp) involved, just good ol' character development.

Chloe is on the verge of busting our mans secret identity.

Although they shouldn't have showed us that she saved the file.

The guy playing Lex is SPOT on!

18. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

This was indeed another great episode, IMHO. I also liked this week's choice of foreshadowing. Every episode has a line or an event that slaps the viewer in the face with foreshadowing. I appreciate it with a chuckle normally. This weeks was a bit more inconspicuous, though. And I'd be willing to bet that most viewers missed it. Here's the line, but it is a (probable) future spoiler, so be forewarned about the foreshadowing... [​IMG]
    At the end, when Clark and Lana are in the Talon at the grand opening, Clark asks her how she's feels about being in charge. She responds by saying, "Terrified, but don't tell anyone." Clarks says, "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." For those of us who have read the comics, this is quite an interesting comment, no?

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In the current comic storylines, does Lana know that Clark is Superman? I haven't collected/read Superman comics in over a decade, so I don't know what the current situation is anymore.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, Lana knows Clark is Superman, but I don't think Pete does.

Actually, in the current comics, Lex knows Clark is Superman,
    although they haven't really started to have fun with that yet.

I'm trying to remember what Lana's secret is in the current comics; pretty much everyone has one, but we haven't seen Lana and Pete much lately - heck, it might be almost a year since Lana has appeared (to get caught up, Lana and Pete are married and Pete's Vice President to Lex's Prez). There was some eyebrow-raising when Lana named their son "Clark", but that got explained away.