What's new

Smallville 2/18/2003 (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Was it just me or are they

laying the foundation for Chloe to become Lois Lane?

Her letter to Clark
was the most heart-breaking thing I've heard in a long time. I've always been a Chloe backer in the contest for Clark's heart
but last night, as Emeril would say, kicked it up another notch.

Also, how about the what I took as a reference to "Can You Read My Mind" from the movie. When she said "fly back into my life" wow!

I hereby take back every thing I ever said about dragging out the Clark/Lana thing.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Roberto, As to your first point. I don't think so. Lois will be someone new IMO. I believe she is related to Lana though.

Chloe has been burned one too many times by Clark. Somethings going to have to change for them to remain friends I think.

That's one bad ass ship Clark came in. I'm a little confused by the healing properties of the ship however. It's my understanding that Clarks' dad dies of a heart attack at some point. It looks like the ship has a "cure all" effect on all who come in contact with its wave of light. I guess time will tell how they handle Mr Kents demise.

Very good show. I can't wait till next week.

Rocky F

Second Unit
I enjoyed the ep. but had a few problems. My wife and I were talking when we went to bed, about
Martha getting pregnant.

We've seen the ship neutrelize(sp) kryptonite before, so it makes sense that it would heal Martha and Clarks poisoning, but if it could heal anything, wouldn't everyone have walked away from the hospital healed?

Also, it seemed like marthas pregnancy
was just a quick way to show that the ship could heal, but now it will be an ongoing plotline.

todd stone

Screenwriter
anyone else think that marthas pregnant baby
because of the light ship effect , will have super powers as well?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unless they really deviate from the mythos, I'm thinking she's going to miscarriage. Hard to say though. I enjoyed it, though I could have done without the glorified music video at the very end.

Am I the only one that's looking forward to the Christopher Reeve episode next week?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's not like it's going to be a "Christopher Reeve episode" despite the promos. He's got one or two scenes, I think - just a few minutes of screen time.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The big debate at www.kryptonsite.com (A Smallville fan site) is that the baby could have superpowers and be the basis for Supergirl.

By the way did you see how warm Lana was after she read Chloe's letter and when she talked to Clark at the end? And the looks Lana and Chloe exchanged? I smell a catfight coming. ;)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Lois will be someone new IMO.
That's probably true but Chloe's use of the future tense and her similarity to LL -- even her name sounds familiar, almost like an update of Lois Lane -- makes me wonder. (One more thing about her name: when was the last time you met a woman named Lois? Me too.)

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Alfred Gough and Miles Millar have already publicly stated that Chloe Sullivan has a cousin named Lois Lane. So that answers that question.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't care what they "publicly state" - if it's not in the show, it doesn't count. They're free to change their minds. Heck, Martha's explanation of why she hid the octagon seemed like them changing their minds - like they had another story in mind, but couldn't make it work.

Still, I'm kind of curious about where they're going to go with John & Martha's baby. Part of the fun of Smallville is that we know the Superman mythos (so even though Lex is a nice enough guy, every once in a while he does something to remind you that he's Lex Luthor, dammit!), so it's easy to think, well, Martha will lose the baby, or it'll be some Eradicator-type thing that's using her as a host and will grow up big and villainous quick. But, so far, Gough & Millar haven't disappointed.

Still, I'm really starting to have trouble seeing why Clark is more interested in Lana than Chloe. Chloe just seems ten times more fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's not like it's going to be a "Christopher Reeve episode" despite the promos. He's got one or two scenes, I think - just a few minutes of screen time.
I know that. It's just a way to refer to the show. The second red kryptonite episode. "The episode where Clark leaps from the Daily Planet" etc.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Still, I'm really starting to have trouble seeing why Clark is more interested in Lana than Chloe. Chloe just seems ten times more fun.
Jason,

I agreed with you there. Personally, I would date Chloe than Lana b/c she seems more interesting and fun to be with. After watching this show since day one, all Lana have is her good looks. Chloe is the brain of the show with all her detective work. Everyone come to her when they need info and no one turns to Lana unless they need a cup of coffee at the Talon.. hehe IMHO...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wouldn't say Lana is nothing but her good looks - I mean, she does appear to be smart, fairly strong, and independant. The girl started a business of her own while still in high school, for crying out loud - even if she was just a pretty face two years ago, she's not now.

Chloe, though - she's got that 1930s-screwball-comedy-girl energy to her, she's not afraid to show her brains off, and she has goals and ambition.

And curves. But, these characters (if not necessarily the actresses) are high school girls, so just pretend I didn't say that.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I also wondered why/if everyone else in the hospital would have been healed too. I know the ship can't selectively heal people. Maybe it "senses" Clark's thoughts or something?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, finally got to watch this episode last night.

Chloe and Lana represent different personality traits and histories. Why does Clark continue to gravitate towards Lana? Some of it has to do with her tragic past (losing her parents to the meteor showers that brought him to earth), I think Clark does feel very responsible for that event. Also, you simply love the one you do, whether they reciprocate that love is the crux of any burgeoning relationship. So far, the writers put a lot of impediments between Clark and Lana. Perhaps Clark has spied on Lana for so long, his romantic sense of Lana is still very strong.

Also, Lana is much more of a sympathetic person than Chloe, who is more direct and goes for the heart of the matter, sometimes too quickly and too harshly due to her "auto-reporter" mode she goes into (like when she was grilling Clark for details on his mother's illness). Clark called her on it and she backed down quickly. But Chloe is bright and vivacious, and fun, but could be too inquisitive for her own good, especially when Clark is trying hard to hide his secret, lest he burden someone else with his secret.

And for Chloe, it's also a bit of "you simply love the one you do" and that guy is Clark, who has always had eyes for Lana. Now the question is that Lana has problems giving herself to someone who puts her last (or everyone first) in terms of "saving the world" and bolting at a moment's notice.

But the reasons that I've been able to write so many paragraphs on the love triangle is because of the way the writers have successfully integrated the "Dawson's Creek" aspects of teenage love with the mythos of Superman.

The aspects of unrequited love on the part of Chloe, expressing it through her letter to Clark, and Clark shattering Chloe's world was heart-breaking (okay, I understand if people get a good laugh out of it too).

Now back to the other parts of the episode. Remember earlier when Ryan (mind-reader kid) told Martha that he's keep her secret, finally we find out it was her pregnancy that he was foreshadowing. While I'm not all that crazy about using the spaceship as the deus ex machina answer to cure Martha, I'm glad she's around. The main other outcome of the story is that Lex's lady doc knows that Clark has different "DNA" blood than humans, and with Lex hovering around, he'll be getting the 411 on Clark and Martha soon enough (he even bought their files from the guy at the end of the show as well, and that keep the viewers from never fully embracing Lex because his sneakiness will bring an end to his and Clark's friendship one day).

The look on Jonanthan's face when the needle went into Clark's arm was priceless.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else cringe when Pete told Clark about his "Talon Mix" CD that was advertised in the previous commercial? I know WB is usually pretty bad song placement in its shows to sell CDs, but this was a new low.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
And I could have done with a little less of hearing and seeing the band during the benefit concert. A couple seconds then move onto the story. Seems like they sayted on them for a minute or more, at 2 different times.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I thought this ep was pretty weak. Using the ship to "cure" them was lame IMHO; partly because it doesn't really make sense and partly because it opens up too many plot holes.

I also thought Martha's explanations for her two lies were incredibly weak; particularly regarding her reason for hiding the key. After all these years, she has to know Clark better than that. And besides, at some point he is going to leave, surely she doesn't think he's going to grow up to be a farmer? I know pregnant women can be somewhat irrational what with all the hormones and such ( :) ), but that just seemed like the writers had backed themselves into a corner and came up with an arbitrary (and lazy) way out.

Suprisingly, I thought the strong point of the episode was the Clark/Chloe/Lana triangle. I say suprisingly, because in many episodes this aspect has been my biggest complaint with the show. Usually it's handled in such a heavy-handed and predictable way (such as the red kryptonite episodes), that it's just annoying. But in this ep it worked much better. I was actually somewhat surprised at Lana's reaction to reading Chloe's note. I would have expected her to decide to just back off and accept that she and Clark will just be friends, and let Chloe go after him romantically. But instead, the note seemed almost like a wake-up call for her, that if she really has feelings for Clark she can't just sit back and wait for him to come around. The dynamics of that last scene were very interesting. I look forward to seeing how things go from here.

BTW, I personally don't see why everybody is so keen on Chloe. Sure, she's got "spunk", but I find her to be annoying more often than not. People like that get on my nerves. I also think part of what I don't like about her is that the unrequited love aspect of her character has been overplayed. So many of her actions seem transparent and it's so obvious when she dops those little hints to Clark about how she feels.

Lana on the other hand seems to have more depth to her character, and she and Clark seem to relate to each other on a deeper level. And the fact that they're both orphans is obviously going to give each an insight into the other that Chloe wouldn't be able to understand.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also liked Lana's line, when she's speaking to Clark, about her not seeing him sick and saying something to the affect of "I always thought of you as being invulnerable"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks