What's new

Smallville 2/11/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Velocity" (or the Tricked Out Version)

Pete has a need for speed that gets him in quite a quagmire that has him abusing his knowledge of Clark's powers. Who knew Pete was such a speed freak, running with racers using kryptonite-fueled tricked out cars.

Lana and Adam are shaping up to be a very disturbing couple of star-crossed love-nots. It's a little too X-File-ish (with all the blood coming out of Adam's eye (black oil, anyone?).

Lex is on the hunt for the strange platelets in Adam's serum/blood. He puts the screws on a research scientist (played by Francois Yip) who has more than a passing fancy for Adam. In some spots, Yip sounded a lot like Lana.

Jonathan recovers from his heart attack, and gives Clark a lesson in operating morally in a grey area.

Next week features Sarah Carter (of Black Sash fame) as "The Obsession". I guess the WB is finding working for their stable of young starlets on Smallville (Missy Peregrym was on a few episodes ago).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Limits of 2 friendships were reached tonight.

Clark abused Lex' abilities, the same way Pete abused Clark's: Saying gimme $20,000 to Superman or Lex Luthor is almost exactly the same thing, because they can both easily obtain it.

In both cases, I expect consequences.

I find it strange that Clark would rather gamble with his friend's car than break the law. Not a choice I would have made, methink.

Some interesting moral questions here. Excellent episode.

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it too. Did anyone else notice the episode was directed by Jeannot Szwarc (he who did the big name eighties cheesefest Supergirl)

We also saw some bad ass Lex tonight, much more like the cut throat figure we expect him to be.

Pete got his own subplot, cummulating to roughly the same amount of screen time as the rest of the series combined.

And John Schneider survives Glen Ford's heart attack. Got to love twenty-first century medicine.

A really good episode, also nice to see Pete face the responsibility of having the villian of the week die as a result of his earlier recklessness.

As Holadem pointed out, it was good to see the future Superman face the ambiguities of being the hero, and also seeing why the tights are such a benefit in solving problems directly. The father-son moment with Johnathan opening up to Clark about his sacrifice and putting it into the context of the sacrifices Clark will have to make was a really great moment too.

It was also nice to see that the consequences of Johnathan becoming a temporary Superman was a result of his frail human form, not some arbitrary punishment or test imposed unneccessarily by Jor-El. It leaves the way open to paint Jor-El as a compassionate figure if they choose to walk down that path at a future date. As it stands now, he's a wonderfully alien, and yet as the flashback episode showed, atleast at one point very human indeed.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Fast and the Furious meets Smallville.
Terrible idea.
Pete suddenly becomes a bad ass and loses his smarts in the process. Though we dont know Pete very well because the writers dont write for him very often, this just seemed out of left field.
The episode didnt work for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pete's quivering lip (as he was begging Clark to go Kal) got a little too much for me.

Lex is slowly turning back into a more "what's in it for me" character, especially when he turns his back on Clark to go see the lady research scientist.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Lex was mad at Clark at the end. I think he was almost glad to see "goody" Clark do something that crosses the line.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Question for Superman freaks. When in the movie, he says "Lois, I don't lie", did he mean:

- He would rather not
- He doesn't, ever (principles, hero code, whatever)
- He cannot

quid?

--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was about ethics. Supes is capable of lying (His using a secret identity requires deception, passive as it may seem). For the most part, he chooses not to, or volunteers nothing. He's not called a big boy scout for nothing.

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
If I were to buy a book that explains the history of superman and his cohorts throughout his life, what would that book be? (Dark Knight? who is he?)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
phil are you asking if there is a real book out that gives a history of superman?

the dark knight is batman's nickname.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

That was my fear when seeing the promos for this episode, but man did they downplay all of that garbage in favor of a great episode where CLark's moral foundations are questioned.

Putting Clark in that conundrum of having to break the law to help his friend was just wonderful. The development of his and Pete's friendship was great, and now we know where Pete's been these last few months (although I expected Nina from Everwood to crawl out from under one of those cars).

I loved that Clark needed to talk to his Father and get advice. I loved that Lana was barely in it. I just really liked this episode.

This season is turning out to be a really good season, making three in a row for Gough/Millar. Pretty good acheivement methinks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
By the time it's done in five months or so, Mark Waid's "Superman: Birthright" mini-series will probably wind up being the closest thing to a definitive history of Superman up to that point. Of course, it'll be subject to later interpretation, retconning, and outright contradiction. For now, John Byrne's "Man Of Steel" is the comic continuity's "Chapter 1".

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Well, the Bruce Wayne or even Bruce Wayne-like doppelganger theory is losing steam. With how ambiguous they were in the past episodes it was fun to speculate, but now he is clearly something else. Were the other bits put out as red herrings or just, in my case, overexcited fanboy joy? :D I liked this episode a lot and really liked to see Clark working through moral qualms. It is sad that they still resort to killing off villains, though. Just about any villain that encounters Clark dies at some point. This is really counter to the comic where villains always live to fight another day. It is obvious in comics that you would quickly run out of villains if they all die off, but it also goes to Supe's one area that he agrees with the Bat...they aren't murderers. While Clark doesn't kill them directly, I think it is cheap that they resort to that. It would make sense for him to develop the costumed (and distracting) alter-ego of Superman so that he could use his powers in the open and have a safe place (Clark) to go home to at the end of the day. Now, if someone sees him use his power they go mad (howdy, Lex) or die. A little too easy.

Just a thought. I know they had as a mission "no spandex and cape and no flying" but they have found some outs for that (flying in the Jor-El flashback and the extremely cool cape shot last week) but at some point he becomes Superman. Is it all at once as he leaves Smallville or in bits and pieces? We see him building the internal hero but only bits on the external one.

Phil

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yeah, sadly, that theory has now been proven false. Adam's abilities obviously have something to do with the blood that Clark gave up at the beginning of the season. I still contend that this is when and where they wanted to intorduce Bruce Wayne into the series, but when they couldn't get the rights they took a different angle as to the conclusion of this storyline.

I sitll think something's up with the Chloe/Lois relationship. I don't doubt that Lois exists, and is indeed Chloe's cousin. I just don't know if that Lois will end up being Supes main squeeze. I think that Chloe will assume her identiy and name in the future, possibly after something happens to Lois.

James T

Screenwriter
Regarding the doctor(the info is based off the comics) The doctor in Smallville who looks after Adam is the same doctor that created Bizzaro in the comics

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's actually much catchier: "No flights, no tights". I guess the cape is included in the latter :) If they follow that rule, the only way for him to become Superman is in the very last episode of the show, which probably must happen before the characters turn thirty....

Kryptonite: it's a floor wax, it's a dessert topping, it's a fuel additive!

The episode was pretty meh. I suppose having Clark face the "moral quandry" was a good idea, but the execution was off.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Gough Talks To KryptonSite

Incredibly busy executive producer Alfred Gough recently took the time to chat with KryptonSite a bit about the third season so far, and what is coming up with the show. Be warned, there may be some spoilery details below:

Gough tells us that the April 14 episode, "Legacy," will find Dr. Swann confronting Clark about his careless actions of the past few months, such as pushing people away and being careless. Gough also promises a clash of titans as we see Dr. Swann come into contact with Lionel Luthor. The consequences of Jonathan Kent's proverbial "deal with the devil" - the deal he made with Jor-El to bring back his son - will also come into play. It sounds as though the door is open for future appearances by Dr. Swann, and more firmly places Christopher Reeve's character into the Smallville universe.

Gough thinks that fans will be pleased with the Season 2 DVD set, which will have many of the features they had been hoping to have all along. Not only will it have commentaries from himself and Miles Millar, but fans can look forward to commentary from the actors as well as directors James Marshall and Greg Beeman. The DVD will also include the first series of "Chloe Chronicles" webisodes, for which Gough says there will be a sequel in the future.

When asked if Chloe is indeed the cousin of Lois Lane, Gough reminds us of what was said at the San Diego Comic Con in 2002, so apparently the plan for that character has not been altered and they are indeed cousins. Another question about comic book characters once planned involved Krypto. Gough reveals that at one point it was considered to incorporate Krypto into "Whisper," but it just seemed to be too much for the episode. Some more DC Universe characters, particularly from the Superman area of the DCU, may show up in the future, but they'll probably have to wait for Season Four. Likewise, there's potential for a return story for the popular Sheriff Ethan that may show up in the show's fourth year. Characters like Ethan as well as Dominic, Lionel Luthor's former lackey, still exist in the Smallville universe and they will certainly be used if and when time permits.

On the subject of speculation, we also asked Al Gough what he thinks of all of the speculation surrounding the Adam character from recent episodes. "I think it's great. I will set the record straight, and say he's not Bruce Wayne, or Batman, unfortunately, but he's definitely a dark and mysterious stranger who's come into Smallville, and I think you'll see over the next four episodes he really shakes it up.," Gough said. He added that they've always wanted to incorporate the character of Bruce Wayne into the series at some point, but that would likely be vetoed because of the Chris Nolan/David Goyer "Batman: Intimidation" film that is coming up. Superman-related guests are much more likely.

A story involving young Lex and his mother is planned for the 19th episode of Season Three, which will be directed by Miles Millar. In other directing news, Episode 20 will be directed by series star John Schneider, who has already been doing some second unit work for the show.

Finally, we asked if the show will follow the cast of characters to college once the high school time is over, and we received this reply. "God willing that the show is still on the air, yes. Some will be going to Smallville, some to Metropolis."

Gough seems enthused and very appreciative that the show has maintained the following it has, and appreciates the hard work of the crew up in Vancouver, who consistently put out a good product.

Thanks very much as always from us to Al Gough for his time.
Al Gough Talks To KryptonSite

I have to agree with an earlier poster. This episode was terrible!

I'm supposed to believe Pete has had this fancy (for a teenager) car for a few months and Clark has never seen it? He's never driven it to school. Please! Anyone who knows modders knows their obsession with being seen and showing off.

By the end of the episode, Pete's back to driving an old man's car and we'll never hear of his 'passion' for speed again. The obsession this series has with one-episode arcs and ridiculous plots is really beginning to test my patience.

*** Rant Warning ***

This season's premiere episodes where 'evil' Clark starts pulling off bank heists and robbing ATM's. I'll assume the Metropolis cops have no interest in pursuing a teenager who managed to steal enough to purchase a Lamborghini with cash?? Are you kidding me?? Not a single security camera caught him while he was punching those ATM's (he used a ski mask for the bank heist)? Luthorcorp has no security cameras in the building? How about Clark's dumbass father going to 'Jor-El' for help. All you needed was a handful of green Kryptonite which in Smallville seems to be easy to come by.

Another annoying device: I'm supposed to believe that 2 fine girls such as Lana and Chloe can't get a date??! And if they manage to get a romantic interest, he's either in prison or dead by the end of the episode. Nope, not a single normal guy in all of Smallville interested in Lana or Chloe. Yeah, right.

I also imagine the Kents must be driving without insurance because no company in their right mind would insure someone who manages to destroy their crap-ass pickup 2-3 times per year. If they did have insurance, I'm sure they couldn't afford the premiums anyway. Yikes, I almost forgot the pounding their tractor(s) take!

*** End of Rant ***

What started off as a great re-imagining of the Superman mythology is quickly turning into a cheese fest with one dimensional characters (except the Luthors). Re-watch the first-season premiere to get an idea of how much potential the show had. The premiere hooked me but it's been going downhill since.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I liked this episode a lot. But I do have a problem with the kryptonite, as well. I mean jeez, what can't this stuff do. Next thing is it'll be the medical cure-all for humans, curing cancer, aids and bringing back the dead. And my God, how big was that piece of Krypton that came to Earth, the size of Alaska. People just keep finding it like it's bubble-gum at the local five and dime.

Oh, and to get the money for Pete, Clark coud have gone to Vegas and gambled. I'm sure he could see the next card at blackjack, or come up with some other similar way to win the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks