Smallville 11/19/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Overall, a fast moving episode that touches on Lex's past with bouts of delusion and how it impacts his present as Lionel tries to head off Lex's digging into his past (with Morgan Edge as an accomplice) in burning down a building for the insurance money, while murdering Lex's grandparents in the process.

Chloe helps in providing some details of Lionel and Morgan's past involvement with the buidling fire.

Lana gets hurt badly, probably multiple leg fractures from being trampled by a spooked horse (Lex got paranoid and threw Lana into the stable while hiding out at the Smallville stables for the night).

Lex's paranoia gets worse and worse as he feels no one believes him, and only Clark is willing to prove that Lex isn't crazy, but the evidence to the contrary becomes almost overwhelming.

In the end, after Clark does some more investigating and gets Lex's guard to confess (about drugging Lex slowly through his scotch to produce his delusional state).

Clark tracks down Morgan Edge's whereabout, as does Lex. After a showdown between Lex and Edge, Clark shows up, but Edge is prepared with a string of kryptonite rocks and beats the crap out of Clark for a while, Lex gets the upper hand and shoots Edge, turns his attention to Clark, then Edge disappears, so Lex goes after him, and Edge tries to run Lex over as Lex shoots at the car through the windshield, but Clark pushes Lex aside and takes the full brunt of the car, and Lex finally sees what he has suspected all this time, that Clark does have super powers is pretty much indestructible. Edge is supposedly dead from Lex's shots (not sure yet).

Lex is put into a mental institution by Lionel, currently no one would believe what he saw regarding Clark's powers because he's still so delusional.

Lana is now convinced that bad things happen when she hangs with Clark, so she gives Clark the heave-ho for the time being. Clark is crushed.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

Good summary. I didn't get a chance to watch it as they were showing the Bachelor finale in Canada, which extended for two hours.

But on the plus side, Angel was a pretty good episode, so it's not a real loss.

3. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

All I can say is wow. A huge improvement over last weeks ho-hum offering. I hope everything does not go back to status quo next week. I really liked to see Lex turn to the dark side and Clark standing right at his side, great stuff.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    About 20 minutes in my wife turned and said that this was a really good episode, and I asked why. "No Lana," she replied.

But, then she showed up and luckily didn't ruin it. I love this direction and can't wait to see how it turns out.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Pretty decent episode. At time there was some pretty dark stuff happening which led me to believe it may have all been a dillusion in Lex's head or that it was a dream but they had done the dream thing a few weeks ago so...
    On the commerical they said dont miss the last five minutes due to something shocking but they showed Lex committed do on the commerical so no surprise there.

So did Lionel have something to do with it or not. I was a bit confused.

Points taken away for them swithing the "I have to stay away from you" over to Lana.

Geez.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Lionel set up the whole delusion episode of Lex's with the drugs he was pumping into Lex via the scotch.

The last 5 minutes surprise was the revelation that Lex finally sees Clark's super powers, but the irony is that no one believes him because of his delusional state.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

... and the psychiatrist under Lionel's employ will drug him just long enough to forget about Clark's secret before escaping and being otherwise A-Okay.

Still an awesome episode, and this episode added several layers to the Lex mystique.

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I thought the 'do not miss' ending was seeing Lionel almost in tears at what he's doing to his son. "Don't you dare think for even one minute that THIS is what I wanted for my son."

Also, I'll be curious to see if Lana is magically healed next week, hobbling about with a cane. I did, however, like the 'oh, my leg isn't supposed to bend that way' shot in the stable.

And an interesting thing; Clark didn't seem to have much problem putting the strong arm on people.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the next Smallville episode is in January, 2004. I think we are pretty much in re-run territory for many shows after next Monday. And this means Lana might be walking around by then...

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

11. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

On the HDTV feed, I noticed that the effect of the WB reducing the bandwidth makes for pixellated video quality, especially during the fast action scenes. Boo.

13. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Overall, one of the best Smallville episodes they've had to offer. I thought it was really awesome how so many so many different things were going out and culminated with a terrific ending. Sucks we won't be getting any new Smallville episodes for a while, as it was just getting good and I'd like to see where they take it with the new developments with Lana, Lex, and Clark's wrestling moves.

14. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

Wow, they just completely killed Smallville. I dont know show alive that I can watch yet still maintion extremely low expectations for, yet they found way to insult me beyond reason. So bad was this episode, I quite sure I'm done watching this. It has two routes. One would to be honest and admiting it was just a "dream episode" which would explain some of worst acting, beyond bizarre filming which was pretty much hinted at someone's dream constantly wiht its beyond left field out of character moments. Great example of that was Lana first words and behavior waking up in hospital. Everyone in this episode was like that. Nothing short of Bizaarro world and dream can save this one. There is NO WAY they can go back to usual formula and just have people move on to lighter stuff like freaks. The basic storyline was fine, but my jaw kept dropping everytime someone opened there mouth or did something, totall surreal in bad way.

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

16. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I agree with a lot of people that this was a great episode, definitely best of the season, maybe best ever. And it didn't even have Michael McKean in it! [​IMG]

MR doesn't get to really exercise his character, and episode 3.2 and this one showed us that he's really the man to watch on this show. Lex and Lionel are both well-played and make every episode they're in more watchable.

florence franks, I don't know which "Smallville" you've been watching, but the acting in this one was top-notch. Lana and the episodes that center around her are the weak point of this show. KK is not a terribly good actress, and her character almost kills the show. I, for one, was cheering on that horse. Lopping off the whole Lana plot and focusing on the relationship between Clark and Lex would make this show even more interesting, seeing as how their relationship now will be twisted into a lifelong emnity later in life. Lana is a dead end (she marries Pete in the comics), so cut her out of the picture.

17. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

KK the actress isn't all that good; she has about three emotional states; placid, concerned (with the rapidly moving eyeballs) and quietly sad. Oh, and she's capable of killing without remorse.

KK the eye candy, however, they'll keep around. I think it would be great if, as a result of the injuries sustained, Lana is shipped off to Metropolis for a very long bout of physical therepy, and we don't see much of her any more. That would certainly make Clark think more of the consequences of his actions, get her out of the way, and let us get on with the good stuff.

Alison Mack's better in my book, any day.

18. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I recorded it and finally got to watch it last night.

WOW!! Great episode. It's right up there as one of the best ones ever. It has definitely helped me get over last week's disappointment. In fact, I think I've forgotten that one completely.

Did anybody else catch the "bizarro" comment? [​IMG]

Michael Rosenbaum is a phenomenal actor and I'm glad he finally got an episode to really shine.

19. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I think my favorite line would be him saying how he got into his father's office: "When people think you're insane and you're holding a rifle to their head, they uh... tend to do what you ask."

Also, it was kinda nice to know that a multimillionaire like Lex actually does have security. [​IMG]

20. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey