Smallville 11/13/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The villain was okay (nice casting of the girl in the shower [​IMG] ), but it was nice to see Allison Mack (Chloe) get some face-time. I think she becomes the prototype of what Clark finally decide he wants in a woman when he gets to Metropolis and meets Lois Lane.
    The infatuation with Lana Lang is just part of Clark's "experiences" with love, and this episode does illustrate that he will always pay a price for his heroic actions, nothing comes free in the world, and that some thing are not meant to be until he comes to grips with his place in the world, and the sacrifices he'll have to make in order to embrace his destiny.
    Lex is definitely up to no good with his offer to the Kents, and Pa Kent was smart to take the bank loan (but if Lex just buys the bank, he still owns the Kents.).
    I can't really fault Lana for what she said to Clark, which left him paralyzed (cue the new Jewel song, perfect for that ending shot), and produced just the right amount of teen angst without overplaying that card.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

That was a very good summary, Patrick, of last nights episode.

3. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Auditioning

This was actually the first Smallville that I tuned out of half-way through. There were a couple things that just turned me off to the direction the show is taking, and I lost interest in last night's show
    - Just how powerful is kryptonite anyway? At first I was intrigued by the use of the "meteor rocks" as the cause of the super villains Clark has to deal with. But last night's seemed a little too contrived, too forced in some way. (The actual villain powers were interesting in themselves. I'm talking about the way he got them).
    - Is Lana supposed to be a sympathetic character, one that we recognize as smart, capable, likeable? If so, why is she still hanging with a boyfriend that is so obviously a jerk? OK, I know this happens in real life too...
    - When the villain "drops" his girlfriend for the last time, the sound effect was cheesy. Wouldn't it have been more of a "thunk"?
    Maybe nothing hugely wrong with the series, and I'll try again next week. But I'd like to see the writers explore some other topics - maybe less of a reliance on the villain-of-the-week / kryptonite plot device.
    B

4. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

Poss. spoilers below

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Possible spoilers:
    It may be that only the shower curtain shattered. (Unfortunately, she somehow managed to wrap herself in it as she fell out of the shower.) Doing only the sound effect was not only cheaper, but kind of left that open. But then, I'm not sure that either the curtain or her shattering would make that now-familiar tinkling sound. (Plus, there was no thud if she didn't shatter.)
    If she had broken into even just two pieces, that would have made the murder much more peculiar, something they might be inclined to mention on the newscast. Then again, this is Smallville, where weird things happen.
    It was interesting that they would show such a promiscuous teenager, reinforcing the old "sex=death" theme from slasher flicks. It's also peculiar how well the freshmen and seniors comingle. Clark and his friends are definitely supposed to be freshmen, and I would guess that the quarterback (Whitney?) would be a senior.
    I don't believe that -- at this point -- Lex is necessarily up to no good. Obviously, whatever he does have an upside for him, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't also want to help. Of course, when he eventually does turn, it would be better not to be under his influence, but then Pa Kent doesn't know what we do about the future.
    And of course it's our knowledge of the future that makes this show work. The line at the end was good, as was Chloe's "You look good in blue". But I wonder how well they can pace themselves. After all the powers are revealed (except for the flying, which they said they're never going to do), will the villian-of-the-week thing hold up?
    Of course, other Superman shows, including Lois&Clark, had them, but that was Metropolis and world at large. This is Smallville. How much grief can one tiny town take?
    //Ken

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wonder what'll happened when the writers introduce other forms of kryptonite (red, gold, white, etc) into the mix. Like, will we get that episode where Clark does get exposed to gold kryptonite, lose his powers, and finally becomes a normal earth boy, and whether that gives him the true impetus to go after Lana with in a different tact. Or does he sacrifice his powers for the love of a woman (a la Superman II) versus getting back his powers to serve the greater good of humanity.
    Doesn't anyone else feel that Lana Lang thinks deep down that she isn't "good enough" for someone like Clark, and thus, settles for the safe high school jock, Whitney?
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs