What's new

Smallville 11-12-2002 Why can't heroes cry? (1 Viewer)

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
I am really enjoying smallville's take on superman universe, yet one thing for me makes it lacking. Clark, I guess because he is hero, superhuman, blah blah, can not express some emotions. Superhero alien or not he still a kid who has deal with fact that his arrival killed people,(including parents of one he loves)he unwillingly(thanks to red kryptonite) attacked his father, said mean things to him and his friends, announced his feelings finally to girl hes loved from afar just to cheat on her few mins later, destroying part of that relationship and trust forever, and all that feeling different, alone and secretive stuff.
Waiting for this guy break down and have moment or at least run out to field and scream mightest scream earth ever seen.
Or is superman suppose to be more like robot then being with feelings? Especially given what happened in this episode.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Tom Welling was especially wooden in this episode.

Clark Kent definitely has emotions. It just wasn't conveyed very strongly in this episode.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Clark has a mechanism that internalizes a lot of his feelings because he has learned that he needs to keep himself in check, else, he risks hurting people inadvertently. Clark is shown to show restraint, a bit wooden or distant, even though he has a lot of compassion in his heart, and is an optimist, but this episode showed him the limits of what he can do, given the gifts he has, life passes on regardless of those gifts.

It was an interesting way to tie in Lex's path to the dark side with the stories from comics, even though Lex eschews such simplicity of the stories, the core of truth remains in the comics, and that's what will make Lex's turn even more tragic because Smallville has shown the good that Lex is capable of, but when he finally turns on Clark, both men's worlds will change forever.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I'm still hoping in my heart of hearts that Lex doesn't turn to the dark side. That may alienate some fans but this Superman fan would be quite okay with that.

Man, I was sure hoping the new mayor would light up a cigarette.

"Don't try and threaten me Lex, I've watched presidents die."

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have always said that when Lex does turn bad. He cannot hate Clark. We have all seen what happens when you mess with Lex. He can destroy lives. So I think it would be better that instead of hating Clark. He just becomes an idealistic nothing to him. As in the comics Lex hates Superman. But, really couldn't give a crap about Clark.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pete might come down with a ulcer in his teenage days (due to him knowing Clark's secret).

As Lex's empire grows, he'll need to independently move from Smallville and to Metropolis, and probably won't meet up with Clark as Superman until Clark has to make a choice between the right thing, and their friendship (after Clark's college years and has to face the first of many of Lex's scheme to rule the universe when he path leads him to extend his power, socially/politically/economically speaking.) The problem is that Lex should know that Clark is Superman in this scenario, and could cause all sorts of personal strife for Clark in order to have "leverage" over Clark, just like what he did to the mayor in last night's episode.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of sunglasses Lex was wearing, the ones with the light tint.

I guess Clark won't be able to hook up with either Lana or Chloe now that they are roommates. Bummer.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It looks like in the next episode, we'll get to see what happens when another guy falls for those two roomates (if they are already living together in the next episode). Personally my dirty mind thinks it's no bummer that those two are roomates ;). Too bad Clark's so squeaky-clean.
[mind in gutter]
Red kryptonite x Clark
+Nicodemus flower x Lana + Chloe
=too hot for WB.
[/mind in gutter]
What really sucks is that they've gone back to Lana as a love interest. I'm a Chloe fan myself. She's got brains and looks (she was smokin' in this weeks episode), and is a little more of a firecracker, so to speak. Boy was I pissed at the end of last season.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of sunglasses Lex was wearing, the ones with the light tint.
I'm not certain, but I think I caught a glimpse of the logo on them and the looked like KillerLoop shades. They make some good stuff, loved my old pair. I think they're a division of Bolle.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
What's with all of the actors from cancelled Fox shows? Did they have a yard sale over there? There's Cigarette Smoking Man, playing ,well, Cigarette Smoking Man Turned Mayor. Then there's the Bad Guy From Dark Angel, playing New Bad Guy on Smallville. What's next? Is the Family Guy gonna move in next to the Kents??! :)
Marc.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I was screaming at Clark to tell the Sheriff and the Doctor, (when he said Clark kidnapped the kid), "No way did I kidnap him, how could I have kidnapped him from your lab, he wasn't even there, that's what you told the police in Metropolis when they came looking for him".

I didn't get much about the Mayor other than an interesting side light and more of Lex's character. At first, I thought that to help Clark and Ryan, Lex went to the Mayor for help, thereby playing the game with him, even though he didn't want to. But the later scene with him refuted that theory.

Ryan and Superman would have made a great team. Ryan exposes what they're thinking, planning, etc. and Superman (Clark) takes them out.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I didn't like this episode at all. I was bored most of the time and hated to see Ryan go out like he did. I also thought the whole idea of Lana moving in with Chloe is kind of lame. However, you can bet I'll be tuned in next week...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I dunno, I rather liked this episode, since I finally got a chance to watch my tape of it a few minutes ago.
There's only one major thing that bugs me. Clark was moving so damned fast, in front of so many damned people, wouldn't SOMEONE take up an intrest in this, and start clipping out any stories of strange phenomenan? Sort of like UFO fans, maby a cult for what some people call, "The Super Man" ;)..
I would also have liked to of seen some loose end tie ups with the doctors who probably caused the kids problem in the first place, if not made it worse. Just something to show that they got their whoopings :)..

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's only one major thing that bugs me. Clark was moving so damned fast, in front of so many damned people, wouldn't SOMEONE take up an intrest in this, and start clipping out any stories of strange phenomenan?
Superhero convention - if something is moving too fast to see clearly, people don't notice it (unless the director opts to add a "wind effect"). Sure, Clark's probably not moving fast enough to create sonic booms, but he's got to be superheating the air around him, and I'm not sure how you run 200+ kph without kicking up some massive divots, but that's just the way it's been since 1938.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Another thing that I just re memberd. What was the secret of Mrs.Kent? She new, the kid new, but no one else did. I didn't think it was related to her knew job, but instead, something else completly....

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Nope you can't see Clark/Superman when he runs fast. But once he flys, "look, it's a bird, it's plane ..." well you know the rest.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread