Smallville - 10/8/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Episode 2.2 "Phoenix"

While they packed a whole lot of stuff in this episode, it didn't seem all that rushed or congested.

And as always, it seems, any bad person who stumbled on to Clark's secret gets put out the pasture, or in this case, put out to sea (though I doubt Edge died, and will probably return later, to cause the Kents even more grief).

Lex finally resolved his marital woes in the inimitable Luthor fashion. Too bad, I'll miss Helen.

Irony of ironies, Lex gets in good with the Kents, while accepting guidance willingly from his father. This should be the source of even more moral quandaries for Lex (internal battle of doing the right thing, or the profitable thing).

Dug the use of Dido's "White Flag" at the end of the episode where Clark spurns Lana, who is finally ready to commit to Clark, and Clark to so afraid of losing control of himself that he won't allow himself to let Lana in because he's wary of hurting the ones he loves the most.

2. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

These two episodes answered alot of questions from last season and it worked out well. It's off to a good start. However - I think, a three parters would've been better so it wouldn't feel too compact. It's strange how Pete's only got one scene in these episode.

I agreed that Edge and Lex's wife will come back later in the season to cause headaches to the Kents and Lex. I think, Clark is starting to realize that he won't be able to fully be open with Lana and have a "real" relationship her until he completely share his secret. It's kind of like Peter Parker in Spiderman, at the end of the movie - where he is aware of his powers and responsibilties that comes with it.

Next week episode looks interesting... It looks like Lex's brother is back in town testing out Kryptonite bullets against Clark. It seems like the Luthor's are going to test out the Clark's powers this season. Time will tell.

-bruce

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

LSo Lana killed someone. And whiel it wasn't explicitly stated, it seems Clark did, too as the driver was probably still in the truck when CLark blew it up. And Lex apparently killed another person. I get the impression the show won't win any awards from the PTC this season.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Lana's "kill" was self-defense.

5. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Lana's kill may be self defense, but it still must be hard to kill someone. She's never done it.

Enjoyable episode. Since I missed the premiere (damn the WB, no Easyview replays!) this was my first new Smallville fix since last season. It did not dissapoint.

I think they are running Clark and Lex's character development in tandem, or at least their level of self-realization. They both grew quite a bit further into the men they would be during this story arc.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The driver of the truck was not in the car. He was the guy with the big tatoo that got shot by Luthor's men in the firefight.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Great writing. Good character moments and some cool action. What more could you ask for.

Very enjoyable episode.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    And they left a lot of holes where they can write new stories... Edge, Helen, etc.

Good episode, and I was glad to see Clark overcome the red kryptonite on his own.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Red K got shattered by Clark trying to punch out Jonathan. I wouldn't say Clark totally rebuked the Red K all on his own.

10. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    After Clark ripped the door off of the car - did anyone else notice he had a very crazed look on his face, then he "went back to the old Clark"...

His facial expressions totally changed...

Wonder what that means?

11. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I wasn't as impressed with this weeks story. Too much of it was shown in last weeks trailer for this weeks show. Clark punching his earthly father with his ring hand. Gee, the ring shatters. What a surprise!

As I said after last weeks show. Lex would give back the Kents farm. The newest crime boss who knew of Clark would not last long. And Clark would continue his Smallville triangle.

Clark did show a darkside by ripping off the crime-bosses car door and threatning him. That was a bit of twist.

Where is Clarks best buddy...Pete. Clark comes back to town after months away and no Pete?!

I just feel they rushed through this weeks show to get back to "Smallville".

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Clark's not all sweetness and light anymore. He was a little drunk with his rage against Edge and company. I thought it showed us that Clark still has that residual "bad boy" streak in him. It may always be there, but he's still got plenty of lessons to learn.

13. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

I disagree. Clark was "acting" the part of Kal when he confronted Edge. You can tell by the way he immediately cooled off from that an had a noticable "sigh" after it was over.

I do think that the whole Kal experience is helping to explain why a relatively cool Clark in Smallville will turn into a "mild-mannered" one in Metropolis. There are people there who know him as Kal now, so he's got to kind of hide from that.

It's actually a really well done explaination for all of that, since the TV Clark is much cooler than the comic book Clark was when he was growing up.

14. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

My theory is that Lana will suffer some problems as a result of her self defense kill.

The whole scene of her showing up seemed a little rushed, like it was thrown in.

"Hi, I'm looking for the Kent's."

Comes in at gunpoint.

"Lana!"

The scene seemed to be there so that Lana could kill that guy. It seems to be setting something up...I think. [​IMG]

15. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Which is why I think this bout with Red K has unlocked some of Clark's dark side. Plus, how boring would Clark be if his heart was pure as snow? He's got all these powers, and yet he has to also harness his rage against the injustices and actions by criminals and evil people. He's not going to be successful in harnessing his aggressiveness all the time.

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I picked up that he had maybe gotten some of the dark side from the Red Kryptonite as well but was sad to see him push Lana away. Was the the Dark Clark doing it or was he doing it just to protect Lana?
    Darrel had mentioned that this episode seemed predictable. I'd much rather watch this prequel that surprises and has a different take on the whole Superman mythos as apposed to Enterprise which just keeps limping along reusing ideas.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I side with Clark being unsure of himself, given his summer of being on the dark side, when he pushes Lana away.

19. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

I think the Enterprise comparision is very interesting.

The big difference is that Enterprise has such low stakes. I mean, we KNOW that none of these characters has significant impact in the future.. or we would have heard of them, right?

However, Smallville has taken on the idea that there's the story of Superboy, and the story of Superman... but no story, really, on how the former became the latter.

I mean, we know Clark and Lana don't end up together, and we know too that Clark and Lex become mortal enemies. We also know that Cloe is very "Enterprise-ish" in that we know she doesn't exist in Superman's life. But finding out HOW... is all new, and interesting.

20. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I agree that Clark was acting as Kal when he pulled off the door.

What annoyed me is that Clark clearly showed his vulnerability to Kryptonite to three people. Of course, a couple of them conveniently got killed, but Edge is probably not dead. He probably was fast enough to deal with both guys, especially given an opening -- it's not like separate nuclear missles headed to California and New Jersey.

Also liked Dido's "White Flag"

//Ken