Smallville - 10/29/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I liked the spin on why Martha and Jonathan decided to become estranged from her father. That was a good hook. Otherwise, the youth-sucking cheerleader story wasn't all that developed or executed. I liked the new principal challenging Clark, and Clark does decide to go the journalism route from the challenge. I'm not at all enamored with the "Lana's real dad might be out there" subplot. That's just too soap operish. All in all, an okay episode. Next week's does appear to be a doozey.

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

The monster sub-plot seemed really tacked on - like they needed to kill some time. Do they always have to resort to this? It's getting to be that the monsters and mutants are not even Kryptonite related. Sure this was done to death last season but why are they all showing up in Smallville?

Maybe they will find out that Smallville is on top of a hellmouth! Superman and Buffy - wouldn't that be an interesting cross-over!

3. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Since the creators are introducing many new characters and new relationships, I'm going to let this episode slide as a necessary evil. I think this episode was filmed at the end of season one and it's placement into this year's episode rotation seemed strange.
    Here's hoping they get back on track next week. The preview looked very good.
    At least this week's episode once again looked great in HD.

-Gary

4. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

About the HDTV, it looked AMAZING *but* I am getting no sound at all. The other digital channels were working with sound. I am using a regular antenna, through a built in reciever RCA 38 inch model.

On the same subject, that might need its own topic but if someone can help it would save the time.

Through my DirectTV the channels are freezing up during any channel other then the local channels. The other T.V with its own seperate reciever is working perfectly.

I have called DirectTV and they say its the T.V because of the built in DTV reciever, and requires a minimal $60.00 inspection fee plus any repairs that needs to be made to the T.V.

Before I do that, I just realized today, that I called DirectTV a while back stating I the HBOHD channell wasn't working and I wanted it on, then it dawned on me that I don't have the proper DISH, as its just a standard size.

Then the symptoms happen, freezing up during channels, and just recently I checked the HBOHD channel and its WORKING, PERFECTLY. When other channels freeze, 509 is working.

Is this what is causing the freezes? Does any of this affect the antenna viewing of Smallville with no sound.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ray

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Actually, this episode was filmed last season. The only change is Annette O'Tooles off camera voice over that her job with Lionel Luthor is not enough to pay the bills. Also, you can see Clark making an excuse for Pete to leave so he can use his powers.
    I have no idea why it was not shown last week. But, the whole Lana "Who is my dad?" will get mentioned again in one of the next few episodes.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree with everyone here, I mean they said they were moving away from the Kryptonite Villian of the Week and tonight we got Generic Monster of the Week. It really felt like it was an afterthought just to have a weird Monster. The Subplots of the episode were strong enough to stand onit's own it did'nt need it. All inall thou not my favorite of the season so far.

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    That's right I forgot they filmed this last season. OK I Give them Pass.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Very week episode indeed. [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

9. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    What's the student body count now? It would be funny if someone went back to the 1st episode and did a count on all of the students that have died...
    Wouldn't Smallville be all over the news for how many deaths have occured??? [​IMG]
    -Mike

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

It was good that what's her name's had this power to consume lifeforce but it was not Kryptonite spawned. I guess Richard Gant (Principal Reynolds) must have brought one of the 'Links' over with him form Special Unit 2.

On Lana's Mom. Isn't it part of the Supes Mythos that Lana Lang and Lois Lane are half-sisters? If so, maybe the guy her Mom was with is named Lane, and shortly after Lana's Mom died, he married and had a daughter who they named Lois.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I thought Lana was Lois's cousin? Someone told me that.

Also, I was very mad about 2 things...

My friend and I both write created our own shows. We write episodes and have them ready by Friday each week, and let eachother read them. They're not filmed, and we have no intention of actually making them (like it would ever happen)

However, an episode I wrote a year ago, involved an old lady who could suck the life out of people, and at the end she dried up (in my story the main characters throw alcohol and other powders on her and dry her out, she turns to dust and is blown away in the wind). I watched the last Smallville and was so pissed that it was very close to my exact story, it's not like they stole the idea, but still, it made me fell a little annoyed. lol

Also, the song by Our Lady Peace "Somewhere out there" was one I thought of to be used during one of my episodes. Smallville's really using generic concepts isn't it.

I wonder if any more of my stories (pretty basic ones, monster of the week stuff) are going to turn up on Smallville ever.

On an lighter note, anyone do that? Write your own series and let friends read it weekly? It's actually very fun. I'm midway through the first season right now.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

14. Robert Ringwald

It's easier being in high school. I can't imagine continuing it when I'm in college, or out in the working world. [​IMG]
    Maybe every 2 or 3 weeks for a new episode.
    It's very hard, and usually I'll e-mail her the latest one like 2 days late, and then I have to work twice as fast to get the next one ready by Friday.

15. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Have the writers evr said anything about clark becoming super man yet?Methinks they are running out of ideas,and the old idea they had about not showing him in costume for the shows entire run may be difficult to pull off.I mean How many seasons do they intend to do? And with no costume? I dont know....

Luis S

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Having Clark not don a costume until he graduates (end of next season) isn't a big deal.

17. Robert Ringwald

Isn't he a sophomore now?

In the first episode he says that they pick a freshman and string them up in the cornfield, and they were worried.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Some high schools are 3 year high schools.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

That's just too much soap opera in that scenario. The writers really need to not even go there in terms of trying to get Lana Lang related to Lois Lane.