Smallville 10/16/01

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Anyone watch the premiere of Smallville last night?
    I thought it was okay, a little sparse on "good" dialogue, but the little "daydream" pieces showed how human Clark really wants to be, but is saddled with who is really is.
    I'm not quite sure how interesting they'll be able tomake the weekly series, but I wish them the best.
    Tom Welling is a good choice for Clark Kent in his teen years. Physically he looks the part, and has the lowkey approach down at this point of the show. I really wished they would have casted Lana Lang with red hair (that's her friggin' visual signature!), but the actress playing Lana is extremely cute. Having Lex become bald due to Clark's arrival was a strange way to keep the "Superboy caused Lex's hair to fall out" origin story, but without causing Lex to make Supes his mortal enemy from that point on.
    I didn't find that John Schneider has the "gravitas" to be imparting those "good, strong, moral values" onto Clark. What a strange, but decent, casting choice, Annette O'Toole as Martha Kent as she got to play Lana Lang in Superman III over a decade ago.
    I have to wonder if Clark is smart enough to put 2 and 2 together w/r/t the piece of krytonite that was hanging around Lana's neck which caused his to trip over himself and be subjected to weakness when he was around Lana (the constant betting between the boy and girl classmates was cute). Especially if Lex shows up with it, and he gets weak again.
    I had a flashback to "Fargo" when Clark stuck his hand in the wood chipper in front of his father.
    It's obvious that Clark knows that he's stronger/faster than normal people, and nigh invulnerable at this point in time. One of these days, he'll figure out he can also fly.
    Here's hoping for good stories (I get the feeling the mutations caused by the arrival of Clark and the meteors will be the springboard to a bit of X-Files-like shows).
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I watched it last nite and enjoyed it. I really didn't know what to expect. The show reminded me of "Roswell' a bit. You know, an alien feeling like an outsider - trying to fit into the high school life and trying to figure who they are. The armegaddon-like introduction was pretty cool. I hope this show will keep it interesting for a few seasons.
    It looks like WB is getting really to restart the 'superman' movies.
    bruce

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

From what I read at a Smallville fan site. Is that he will be encountering other people who were affected by the meteors. Kinda of like the supervillain of the week. They will have an episode called "X-ray" where I assume Clark gets x-ray vision. So I can see where we will start seeing other powers manifest themselves as he gets older. One thing I don't like about Lex being there. Is that Clark does not disguise his looks. So when him and Lex meet later when he is Superman. He will say "aren't you that kid from Smallville who saved my life?"
    I enjoyed it. I know it ran over an hour. It should have been a 2 hour pilot. This way they could of fleshed out some of the scenes.
    spoiler
    I did like the way Clark took revenge on the jocks. By piling up their trucks on top of each other. Although, I still would of liked him to kick their arses. [​IMG]

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it kinda had that dawson's creek meets roswell feel.
    i'm also not a big fan of the "young-actors-on-tv" genre...but i must say i did sort of like this show.
    i like how they "tied" everything together...i thought that was kinda cool. how lex lost his hair, how kryptonite gets introduced, etc. i did like the lex character - he seems to have what it takes to become the future lex luthor.
    hopefully the producers will be able to pull this off. i'll probably watch at least a couple more episodes...just to see if it pans out.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

5. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

Good show overall, better than I thought.
    I thought at first I would be bugged by the Lex and Clark knowing each other, but as it was pointed out (I think by Patrick to me) there was a book that had that happen.
    Besides, I think I'm just going to sit back and look at this as a new take on Superman. Basically ignore the fact that there are other Superman stories and look at this as a new series.
    Spoiler:The part about the trucks being stacked was cool in a way, but in a town of 45,000 people how many cranes are there? I know they probably won't ever touch on the subject again, but if people were to look that wouldn't be an easy feat in a small town and it 'could' give him away.
    Should be fun, I just don't like it at the same time as Roswell (nor Gilmore Girls at the same time as Buffy). Gotta love timeshifting, but it tends to keep me up late.
    ------------------
    If you can't learn to do something right, learn to enjoy doing it poorly!

6. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

I liked the premiere of Smallville. I think I will be tuning into this one every week. That Lana Lang has got to be one of the cutest little things that I've seen on TV in quite a while. I'm quite taken by her. She has a Kate Hudson from Almost Famous kind of air about her to me. I'm taking this show as a new spin on Superman with little expectation on the future right now. I guess I will see how it all goes down the road.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You think the timeslot is crowded now, wait 'til they start 24 and NYPD Blue.
    The show was pretty good. The obvious product placement with the Pepsi and Honeycomb cereal was odd. (As was all that Snapple on Roswell. And I don't picture Michael drinking Diet.)
    Tom Welling is well cast and did a good job, but seems too old to be a freshman.
    I was surprised that it ran over the hour. I didn't see anything in TV listings that mentioned that -- I'd be kinda pissed off if I had tried to tape it.
    Interesting that they started with the villian-of-the-week thing in the first episode. Lois&Clark also had lightweight villians each week, and they ran for like three or four seasons, although I think I stopped watching after two, after the "will they or won't they" question was resolved.
    //Ken

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I thought the show was pretty good.
    Can't wwait for next week. [​IMG]

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    will this be on again this weekend??
    ------------------

10. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Is that Clark does not disguise his looks.
    Oh yeah, Superman looks nothing like Clark Kent without glasses. [​IMG] Superman's "secret identity" ranks up there among the all time highest suspension of disbeliefs ever.
    The actor playing the young man of steel does have a good likeness to Christopher Reed though.
    [Edited last by Danny R on October 17, 2001 at 10:13 PM]

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Well...I did tape it...and missed the last 10 minutes.
    Anyone care to fill me in on what happened? My tape stopped right at the moment that Lex freed Clark in the cornfield.
    Thanks [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I can't believe how fuzzy my memory is, but I think this is what happened:
    (Amended after re-watching the last 10 minutes)
    Clark runs back towards the high school dance, but not before the kryptonite necklace around his neck falls on the ground when Lex loosens the ropes on Clark. Lex finds the K-necklace.
    Clark makes it back to the high school dance where Mr. Electricity is setting people up for a big shock on the outside of the high school gyn/auditorium, he's planning on turning the sprinklers on all of the people at the dance. Clark confronts him, they struggle. Clark throws Mr. Electricity towards an old beat-up truck, and Mr. Electricity uses his power to turn on the truck, gets in the truck, and runs over Clark, but Clark hangs on to the front of the truck and finally Clark gets run into a building, but he's not hurt. Going through the walls, water pipes are broken, and the water comes rushing out, and this short-circuits Mr. Electricity, and once the last vestige of electricity is zapped out of him while sitting in the car, he's basically like an amnesiac, not cognizant of what has happened to him in the last 12 years. But he seems to be been restored back to "normal".
    Clark goes inside and sees Lana kissing the jock who led the others in getting him tied up as the scarecrow in the fields. Lana and the jock were king and queen of the dance. Clark silently fumes, goes outside and spots, in the parking lot, the trucks of the high school jocks who tied him up and put him in the corn fields with the red "S" on his chest, and smirks into the camera. The next scene has the jocks come out of the high school dance, and there's 3 trucks stacked right on top on one another. [​IMG]
    Clark goes home, looks into his telescope, his father tells him that his grandfather gave him the telescope when he was Clark's age. His father asked Clark how he's doing, and Clark asks if he can tell him 5 years from now. Clark tells his father that he's glad they found him, and his father, who'd walked down from the attic in the barn, looks up, and tells Clark that Clark found them. Clark looks down, and smiles broadly at his father.
    Clark looks into the telescope, and then abruptly Lana shows up from the dance and saves him the last dance, and they dance briefly in his "attic", but it's just a daydream which he snaps out of when the noise of teenagers in cars dropping off Lana in the front of her house. Clark whispers, "Thank you, Lana", at that point, Lana looks towards Clark's direction from afar, though not quite knowing that she sees him, but seems to sense him looking at her from afar. It was kind of a sweet moment.
    The camera pan up to the stars and that's where the credits starting rolling.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; DIY Mains ; DIY CC ; Sunosub I + II + III ; DVDs ; LDs
    [Edited last by Patrick Sun on October 18, 2001 at 07:25 PM]

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Thanks Patrick. That sounded pretty cool. I like what I ave seen so far. Hope it stays this good.
    Thanks again. [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

15. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

My wife daughter and I just watched it today. I gotta say we really liked it. Can't wait for next weeks.

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    That's Christopher REEVE Supe fans. [​IMG]
    ------------------

17. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Whoops...I started another thread without seeing this one. Jinkies! Anyhoo, I did enjoy some of the visual references, in particular the red emergency blankets used to drape Clark and Lex. Of course, on Clark is was pretty cool looking cape, too. Do you think he will ever wear the tights? I know that in some continuities, he doesn't until after high school, so we have four years (if it survives) to see. I liked John Schnieder as Dad Kent. Kind of a boyish quality to him, like Clark, but still has some of that homespun wisdom to put out there.
    The villian of the week premise is interesting using the meteor as the excuse. It can work for a while, but eventually people are going to start going "hey, waitaminutehere" and put things together. I wonder if the "mutations" will also create other "heroes" vs. wacked out psychos (though they are implying they will be the latter, because Clark is already thinking it is "his fault," thus giving the reason for the whole superhero lifestyle).
    Neat stuff. Hope they do well.
    Phil
    ------------------
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

18. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Wow... So now Joss Whedon invented the superhero, huh?
    (Bets on how long before Jeff's insane enough to say Whedon wrote the Declaration of Independence...?)
    I mean, I suppose you can find superficial similarities, but no more than between just about any two action hours.