Smallville 1/30/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I enjoyed the character development of Clark in this episode very much.

He's destined never to quite "hook up" with Lana, but she is his first serious love crush. He is shown to make noble decisions (due in large part to the rearing by his parents), while selflessly give up his personal hapiness to alleviate the pain of others (in this case, Whitney) because that's who he is at the core of his being. It's a damn shame because Clark and Lana are so cute together. It's a bittersweet relationship of "what could have been". for those who know the lore of Superman.

The inclusion of Chloe as being Clark's counterpart in pining over someone (Clark) who isn't available to be love them them, it totally completes the "Love hurts when only one's in love" triangle going on right now on the show.

It looks like Pete Ross is finally getting his growth spurt because he definitely is getting taller and putting on some weight.

Lex is also shown to have a little compassion in the way he has to dismiss an entire family of servants due to their daughter having a huge crush on him, and offered to pay for the psychiatric help that she needs. That was a classy move on his part. His relationship with Victoria and his own father is going to get really complicated really soon.

Next week appears to be the dream episode - all of Clark's nightmares are shown in frightening technicolor.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

From a script-writer's point of view, when your main character can walk through fire, cant be shot/brused/hurt physically, it makes it hard to create drama/tension. All the conflicts and complexity have to be around more emotional and social issues.

I DO like that Clark has signed up to be the nice guy.

But the more facinating character is Lex. We all know he is going to be the bad guy, and circumstances keep trying to give him a chance to be evil, but he is fighting it with quiet calmness & class. And he really seems to want Clark to succeed with Lana. So he gently pushes/arranges for them to be together, but in quiet & thoughtfull ways. Very well done by the writers and actor.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The dichotomy is that Clark is somwhat always fighting that little part in him to keep him and his powers (from using them to do bad things) in check, while Lex is fighting inner demons that made him do bad/irresponsible things as a youngster/teenager, and currently he's been trying to "go straight" but in the end, his thirst for power will overcome his desire to do good for others.

4. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

i might be mistaken.. but i thought Clark is supposed to hook-up with Lana?

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I dont usually watch smallville, but since 24 wasnt on that day, i watched it... it was really really good... I really love Clark, real classy, a real nice guy... Just oo bad Nice Guys always Finish Last...
    It was really noble of him to let Lana go with Whitney, rather than take advantage of her... My friends are all like he was such a dumbass and goody-goody to let her go, but i thought it was real gentlemanly of him to do it, and if i were in his position, i would;ve done it too.. yeah im a nice guy... [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Lana is Clark's first true crush. Eventually he'll meet Lois Lane, the woman of his dreams. I have idea if Clark and Lana actually "hook" up, but my gut instincts tell me that Clark and Lana will remain close platonic friends.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I dunno, I'd take that FPOA that plays Lana Lang in Smallville over Margo Kidder[​IMG]

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Fine Paragon Of Acting?

Margot has a few years (decades) on Kristen (or is it the other way 'round?)

//Ken

9. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

A strong part of what makes Superman the great hero he is (and will be) are his values instilled by his parents.

It isn't just his powers that makes him Superman.

It's too bad that Lex and Clark are destined to be enemies.

Smallville is a very smart show - much better than I thought it would be.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

It's a great show. My whole family watches it. Unless the ratings drop I would not bet on Lana and Clark getting together. I am getting a little tired of green. Every week the green stuff effects someone or something. Lets move the show on like we have been hearing about. In case no one has not heard some of the rumors:

Chole has a cousin and guess what her name is?

Everyone is going to visit The Big City.

And guess what newspaper is going to make headlines?

Lex has a rich friend... his first name is Bruce.

I can't wait!

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I have commented before about the forshadowing in this show. All the little subtle hints about Clark Kent and his future as Superman. This episode had Pete saying to Clark "You aren't the flying type." [​IMG] I love it when they do that!
    And I've got to say again...I am so happy with the way they cast this show. It's perfect! All of them are great. Especially Tom Welling as Clark Kent. He's doing a terrific job with the roll. You know that the show's success comes down to casting Clark Kent. All of the Superman fans are going to be going in with preconceived ideas about Clark and whoever they cast will need to meet those expectations. And he also needs to be good enough to hook newcomers. He's doing both very well, IMO.

12. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The hints are well-executed, but they seem all the more impressive only because we already know the future. Compare that to something like Babylon 5, which also has foreshadowing, but it was a story we didn't know in advance.

So while I credit the creators for an interesting setup (Clark and Lex were friends) and the writers for taking advantage of a known future, they still have the villian-of-the-week problems.

The cast is good. My only nit there is that Tom Welling seems way too old to be a freshman.

//Ken