Smallville 1/28/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I guess my guess about Chloe might turn out to be true...

Chloe does have a cousin named Lois Lane and since she's been blackballed at the Daily Planet, she's using "Lois Lane" as her nom de plume.

And I suspect Adam might just be:

Bruce Wayne

Glad to see Missy Peregrym get some work on this episode (she was on Black Sash last season).

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Spoilers ahoy! Now that the show's aired East Coast, reader beware.

I can't decide whether it was another Smallville throwaway reference or if they're going to make Chloe into Lois. Not sure I'd mind either way, but if she's gonna be Lois, she'll need to die herself brunette.

I think your "guess" about Adam will be correct; I asserted as such in last week's thread and I believe you asserted as such much earlier than that. Martial Arts, Hacking Talents, and a Playboyish attitude? Sounds like Bruce to me.

That said, having him rent the dark gothic projection room of an old theater is too ironic considering where he was coming from when his parents died. (Assuming the general opinion is correct)

Liked seeing Lex with his mojo back a bit. I hated stupid late last season/early this season Lex.

Good of an episode as this one was, my favorite part was the opening shot around the Daily Planet globe and through the windows into the Daily Planet offices. I particularly liked how the set design was very reminisent of the Daily Planet offices from the '78 movie, only with flat screen monitors instead of type writers.

One anal question: Was the writing on the real tech staff guy's black T-shirt a Star Wars reference? 'Cause that'd be too perfect.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Bruce Wayne bit was hinted at by interviews with the producers of the show before the season, and after watching Adam for these few episode, it just seem right that the producers/writers did their best to try and sneak him under the viewer's nose.

I've always maintained that Chloe seemed to be the prototype to the girl/woman that Lois is to Clark in his adult years, and now the writers have slipped Chloe under our nose as well all this time with her using "Lois Lane" as a pen name. Now, whether it'll be Chloe and Clark that play this game in Metropolis later in their lives, or Chloe's cousin that enters the picture later, who's knows?

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Interesting theory about Adam. Did they choose that name to honor Adam West? [​IMG]

What I noticed about this episode was the X-Files-ish music, especially when they first show whatshername in her apartment with the funky poster; the obvious stuntwomen during the fight; and them making a big deal about Adam's martial arts, while ignoring Lana's fancy spin kicks. In fact, he hardly did anything, and Lana was kicking his ass until Chloe tripped her. I forget if she ever got any self-defense training, because she sure could use it with all the stalkers she attracts.

Can you really kill someone by stabbing them in the ear? Seems like the eye would be better?

Funny to see HTML when Adam was "hacking". Reminds me of when they listed an Applesoft BASIC program on KITT's screen in an episode of Knight Rider.

//Ken

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Or watching The Terminator, and seeing that this robot from the far future apparently runs on a 6502. [​IMG]

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

Smallville still doesn't have rights to use the name or character of Bruce Wayne. Yes, it's all under Warner, which DC comics is under, but it's still a messy issue. I haven't seen the ep yet, but from websites, his full name is Adam Knight as in Adam West + Dark Knight.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I never even thought about Adam possibly being Bruce Wayne. But, now it makes a lot more sense with all of his knowledge. I also remember the writers wanting to bring Bruce in to the show. [​IMG]

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Mark Snow has been pillaging his X-Files themes for years on this show, even lifting whole pieces out of the movie's score for Smallville, usually for action scenes.

I loved this episode for so many reasons. First, it had a great deal of Chloe in it, which is never a bad thing. She is far more attractive and interesting of a character than whiny Lana. Especially since I am now convinced more than ever that Chloe Sullivan will end up being Lois Lane. She'll bang up her own name so much in the future that she'll have to change it to her cousin's name, especially since she "has no interest in Journalism."

I am also convinced Adam is Bruce Wayne, but I don't think they'll come out and say it due to their contractual prohibitions. We'll get every hint in the world, the hacking, the judo, the dislike for Clark--but, they'll have to stop short of actually using that name.

I'd also have to say the very 'sloppy' display of powers in front of Chloe--the kryptonite and the hay bail tossing--wasn't sloppy, but deliberate. They were far too careful in putting Chloe in a position to see Clark throw that hay, and then see his Dad struggle with it, and also to see the Kryptonite glowing green and then extinguish for it to be just slopy wriitng and directing. She knows something, and she'll find out the rest soon. I think that may the be the beginning of our season cliffhanger.

Pete seems to be back on vacation with Nina from Everwood.

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Chloe will ABSOLUTELY not "become" Lois. It would be wrong on so many levels. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chloe die toward the end of the series. She's the prototype for Clark's later attraction to Lois, perhaps, but she won't assume a different name and not get the Clark/Superman connection. Just my two cents.

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    But, isn't Lois privvy to the info of Clark/Superman in some incarnations of the comic?

It's also important to remember that nowhere has Gough/Millar said that they are shoehorning their show into any of the previous storylines. They are creating their own mythos drawing from that history, but they can play with it however they see fit.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I really don't like the idea of Chloe "becoming" Lois; it just doesn't fit with much about Lois's character at all (fell for Superman before Clark, big city girl who initially intimidates Clark, etc.). I always saw Chloe as sort of a reminder to the audience that as much as we may come to like Lana, she's Clark's high-school sweetheart, not the love of his life; she also serves as a way to get him interested in journalism and the like.

Fun episode, although Clark seemed awful sloppy with the super-speed between Molly's apartment and the farm.

Yes - they're married now, and she learned before that, about ten years ago.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the casting for Adam Knight required someone with those arched eyebrows (a la Michael Keaton).

Well, I'm just enjoying how the writers/producers are re-interpreting the Clark Kent/Superman mythos in this Marvel-"Ultimate"-style of rebooting/recreating/re-updating the characters we've known for decades. Remember, the writers draw from the comics for their inspiration of the storylines in Smallville, but not everything is set in stone, so it's a malleable universe they are creating.

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Pat, you've got a point, that nothing is set in stone, and since Lex is coming from Smallville now too, that changes things a lot. But Supes isn't nearly as intimate with Lex as he is with Lois, as Clark is with her too... and part of the dynamic is the cat-and-mouse game between them.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In the past Superboy stories from decades ago, Clark and Lex were friends in Smallville. The reason why Lex hated Superboy so much back then as because when an experiment goes up in flames for Lex, Superboy shows up and blows out the flames, and this caused the dousing of Lex with some nearby chemicals and made his hair fell out, and from that day forward, Lex had it for Superboy/Superman. (There were other jealousy/vanity issues that plagues Lex because Lex was super-smart (and now bald), but Superboy had all those fancy-schmancy powers that diverted the spotlight off of his smarty-pants achievements).

Now the Smallville writers used the arrival of Clark's spaceship (and the meteors) to create Lex's baldness condition. It's still a nod to the classic stories of years past.

15. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I agree with you Patrick. Smallville doesn't always follow continuity. I'd love Chloe to become Lois. I totally see that happening. I actually appreciated the character more last night after knowing that she might become Lois.

And Adam being Bruce Wayne. I see that happening as well. Good casting I think. And yes, I also think the name Adam Knight comes from Adam West + Dark Knight. I told my wife the same thing.

Great episode. Keep them coming.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The fight between Chloe and Lana was pretty entertaining. Lana can really swing the axe when she's possessed. Chloe was getting a lot of tough love in this episode.

17. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I can see one of two possibilities for Lois Lane: it is either Chloe's cousin, or Chloe will assume the identity of Lois Lane since she is blacklisted under her current name.

I suspect that Chloe will become Lois Lane, as she is already submitting articles to the Daily Planet under that name, and she said that her cousin has no interest in journalism. It is too much of a coincidence that Chloe happens to use the name Lois Lane, and have Lois Lane be some entirely different person we have never met or heard of before.

18. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

Did you guys see the previews for next weeks episode? ....does the dad die? We see clark yelling for Martha as the dad is lying on the ground in the barn.

19. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Never believe WB promos. They are misleading.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Paul:Yes and no. That is indeed how Clark's dad will die in Smallville; that's the actual death scene. But the FotW next week has the ability to see into the future to the moment of death. Expect the death of Johnathan Kent to be a preminition rather than a reality of the episode. Still a nice nod to the masterful Glen Ford scene in S:TM.