Smallville 1/28/03

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought this was a sloppy episode, and Clark was more than a little careless in his exhibition of his powers to other people.

On the plus side, both Pete and Chloe got a little face time.

I hate whodunits that give the audience really no clues (in terms of motive) to guess the perp's identity.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I was surprised to learn it was Ethan, but I didn't quite understand his motives. Okay, so Lionel was using him for something to do with buying out Lexcorp, but what? Why would a sheriff be involved? I get why he killed Lionel, but what was he involved in anyway?

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

He got Lionel blackmail material, so that he could force the shareholders in LexCorp to sell out to him.

I liked it, although I wish they had played a little more fair with the murder mystery elements.

As an aside - how much does it suck for Pete to be the guy Clark trusts with his secret? What has it gotten him but blows to the head, wrecked cars, and ass-kickings?

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

We did have the necessary clues. Particularly the blood alcohol test which Ethan administered. He was the only one in a position to fake that. I do have trouble buying Ethan killing the bartender though.

5. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

So much for Pete's car. Loved the Dukes of Hazzard leap it took off the road, though. I'm sure John Schneider is proud. [​IMG]

Maybe Lex will be nice and buy Pete a new car.

My only beef with the episode is that as one who has not seen all of the first season (including most of the episodes involving the sheriff), the ending lacked any emotional investment in the fact the guy was a recurring character who people like. Also, I've kind of lost track of all the LexCorp wheelings and dealings.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Would someone have been able to survive a shot square in the chest like that? Of course, the sheriff would be a good shot, but the shot should have been a bit more off the mark to be survivable.

Ethan did mention something about being "strapped" in that flashback.

And that's his first name, right? In the hospital, Clark called him "Sheriff Ethan" which sounded odd.

//Ken

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I do have trouble buying Ethan killing the bartender though. >

Agreed. I just don't see what would drive this character so suddenly off the edge as to become a murderer. The plot for that just didn't seem to sit well with me for some reason.

Hopefully next weeks will be a little better, but I'm surprised they are revisiting the Red Kryptonite so soon.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I like "bad" Clark, he's fun.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I guess Smallville will have to get a new Sheriff now.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I can see Ethan trying to kill Lionel. However, if he were really a good man, Lionel couldn't have driven him so far to the dark side so quickly. Framing Jonathan, killing the bartender and trying to kill Clark and Pete seems way over the top. Especially since as he would be the one investigating the murder, it would have been easy enough to keep it unsolved and not bring other people into it.

12. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I liked Sheriff Ethan. That episode just did not make sense. They didn't show the Sheriff having enough motive to do all he did (shooting, framing, killing, etc).

He's been a good guy until now, a friend of the family. Why would the writers want to get him out of the picture all of the sudden?

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Atleast it was better than Birds of Prey; It kept me guessing until the end, whereas I used to figure out the perp before it was revealed as a BoP mystery...

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

15. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

My main problem with Red is when Welling isn't playing introverted, nice Clark, it's even more clear the guy is in his mid-20s.

//Ken

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My objections still stand that there were other ways for Ethan to handle this without getting others involved. Even if he hadn't planned the initial shooting. Just investigate and leave the case open.

Remember that Lex got the last word in here and he said he doesn't think evil people are born, people like his father bring it out in them. The fact that Ethan got so upset about accepting a bribe in the first place would lead me to believe he hadn't been corrupt all along.

17. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I'll chime in as another one who didn't like this episode. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say it's the worst "Smallville" I've seen in awhile.

To begin with, Ethan is at heart a good man. Financial problems put him in a situation that made it easy for Lionel to manipulate him into gathering blackmail material.

Even if you accept Ethan became enraged to the point of murdering Lionel, who is a pretty dispicable excuse for a human being, the idea that he would frame a man he'd been friends with for decades is a stretch. This is especially true when you figure Lionel had so many enemies who had motive to kill him, framing anyone for the crime would be unecessary.

Ethan murdering two innocent high school students is another huge leap, but not as huge as killing the bartender. We're given no information as to why the bartender needed to be silenced. He certainly didn't seem like he was going to crack.

Besides all these major issues, I have a nitpick, too. Ethan says Jonathan's blood alcohol content was 2.0. That's about four or five times what it takes to kill a person (0.08 is considered legally intoxicated in most states, 0.1 in others).

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think Ethan meant 0.2 for the BAC level.

19. Joe Acevedo

Joe Acevedo Agent

Well, since it wasn't a real blood alcohol test, it could have been 2.0.[​IMG]

20. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It's odd Ethan would mistate a blood-alcohol level like that. As a rural Kansas sherrif, you'd think he'd be pretty used to this sort of thing. Maybe he was nervous.