Smallville 1/21/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JustinCleveland, Jan 21, 2004.

1. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Thoughts, comments, gripes?

When the episode started, I was worried about it turning into a freak-of-the-week episode, which it did just a little, but also became a "Clark comes of age" episode, introducing new powers and how he had to deal with it, and learn to use it. There was nice character movement from Lana, who obviously still wants to be with Clark and vice versa, but had convinced herself otherwise.

Excellent use of Pete in this episode, and some nice movement on the Chloe/Lionel relationship, plus Lex and Clark finally coming to loggerheads over an issue. Plus, the first appearance of Clark Kent in glasses!

Overall, I enjoyed this episode, but still want to see more of the overall story arch (Jor El, the caves) in addition to these good coming-of-age stories.

2. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Best part of last night's episode I thought.

As a side note, I totally think Tom Welling is Superman now. If they make another Superman movie, I do hope they cast him.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Agreed, I nearly turned off the damn thing after that stupid intro.

But the story actually progressed nicely, and the bad guy turned out to be more of a plot device than anything else. He didn't evn show uo till the second half or so.

Are the writers even aware of the fact that they end 90% of the eps with the exact same scene?

--
    H

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Couldn't they have picked some better looking glasses for Clark? I did like the way they introduced not only his super-hearing, but the need for glasses in the same incident/story. Will Clark use his hearing to become the super-snoop in Smallville, or learn to tune it out and only use it when he really needs to use it.

I'm now almost convinced that Chloe does become Lois Lane (she'll write under a pseudonym for the Daily Planet later on).

Lex is still getting his mojo back.

So what's wrong with Jonathan Kent, is he really going to "buy the farm" later if this is a hint of things to come? This would tie in with the movie version of Pa Kent passing away from a heart attack with Clark in his high school years as well.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

The one time I'm home in awhile and I couldn't find it on tv...it was replaced with some hidden girls camera show. Now I have to search for the current air time.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I don't think so. In the modern comics. When they redid his origin they changed it that both of Clarks parents are alive.

I also think that we saw a big change to the Lex we know last night. When he was willing to sacrifice Chloe's dad to help fool his dad. We saw him become more of the "evil" Lex.

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

True, but they are mixing the different ages (Golden, Silver and modern) to achieve their story line, so Jonathan's passing is still a distinct possibility.

I was surprised by this episode. Better than I thought. I would have preferred Clark be myopic a bit longer so the glasses become part of his ID. I wonder how later they will re-introduce it?

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I liked this episode for the very reason they didn't put Lana in danger again. I also liked that the freak was practically a mcguffin and had little or no story to his own, he was just a bad guy.

I also appreciated the Kents's involvement with helping Clark adjust to his new powers, like Pete, they've been neglected too much this season.

Chloe's reaction to Lionel's retribution was puzzling. She already came to him with her 'last Daily Planet' column, and he threatened her Father's job. So her shock at these developments were a bit puzzling. Did she get amnesia, or do the writers think we did?

As usualy whenever Lana appears on screen the show grinds to a halt. And next week's return of 'Bad Lana' is groan inducing.

[​IMG]

9. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I enjoyed the episode.
    Some great character moments especially with Chloe.
    She stood her own against Lionel. Great intense scene!

Pete is reduced to Damsel in distress for this episode and put in a trunk of car.
    Loved when Clark sped past the Compactor and the guy got squished.

The glasses were a joke. I thought that was a given.

10. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I didn't know where the episode was going with Clark losing his sense of sight until he developed the super hearing. Very cool way to introduce the new power!

BTW, when is he going to realize that he can fly??? I know he woke up floating one episode and did it again later on to save Lana but I want him to realize he can fly and see him doing it! That'll be a great moment.

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I have read several times that it wont be during this series. I think they have referred to it as No flight. No tights.[

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

This episode allowed me to suspend my disbelief on an almost Season One level. My biggest bitch about season three has been the sloppy writing, characterization, and continuity. And the Lana/Clark boring pathos bit. Over all, a fresh spark. And while I hate the Clark/Lana meloncholy endings as much as the next guy, the use of the super hearing for Clark to get a glimpse of what happens afterwards was a nice touch.

I was hoping that Clark would wear glasses from here on out, just change the lenses to regular glass.

Always nice to see Lex do something cruel and bad ass.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Given Lex's brush with institutionalization, his own freedom and survival has moved to the forefront of his own personal concerns, thus, he's becoming more and more self-centric and, yes, cruel when the situation requires it.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

He still had the Super heating at the end of the episode didnt he?

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I must say that this show has made me realise what little I know about one of the most popular characters of the planet. I am not a HUGE fan of the movies, and have only seen the first two. I read some of the comics as a kid, but not since.

As far as I know:
    He can fly
    He is absurdly strong
    He is absurdly fast
    He cannot be injured save by Kryptonite
    He cannot feel pain save by Kryptonite
    He has X-ray vision
    He has that eye laser thing
    His hearing goes outside of the 20Khz range. I didn't know it was also more sensitive than humans.

So, my question is, what else can Superman do?

--
    H

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Super breath (sometimes he can use it to freeze things).

He used to not need to breathe either (allowing for travel through space), but that power got scaled back in the past decade in the comics, IIRC.

Obviously his eyes don't get all dried out when he's running or flying really fast. [​IMG]

He used to also have Super-Ventriloquism.

His strength used to also have this form of tactile telekinesis so that when he would be moving a large object, he wouldn't have to worry about finding the center of gravity of the object and the resultant moment caused by his hold on the object at a certain spot of the object (think when Superman lifted Lois and the helicopter towards the top of the Daily Planet in Superman The Movie, he can't do that unless the helicopter's landing gear is super-sturdy, or he has a form of tactile telekinesis to keep the helicopter from rotating towards the ground at the pivot point where he is holding the landing gear).

His brain can function lightning fast when he's using his powers (for quickness and speed, think when he is stopping a speeding bullet).

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

my head hurts.

[​IMG]

actually thats a pretty good interpretation of his powers.

18. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

That's the other part that I liked, Lex moving closer and closer to the dark side.

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Quite good; definitely better than last week.

I remember that too. But maybe her reaction was due to the fact that it actually happened. And of course she couldn't let on to the fact that she was in cahoots with Lionel -- although Clark knows that now to some extent -- and that he had threatened her.

And those glasses weren't rimless.

//Ken

20. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

My chuckle moment was when Mrs. Kent said "you and your father aren't super men".